Chloramine T & new additions

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Re: Chloramine T & new additions

Post by Gazza »

Hi Guys,

Now we have someone who knows what there are talking about i am sure it will be of great help thanks Duncan :D
kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kimr »

Hi Dave

I have to agree with Gazza, with Duncan on the case you couldn't get better advise, but I have to admit I trust Gazza so much and I know he will help as much as he can.

Hi Duncan

Can I ask, would you still topically treat this wound with the amount of healing that is showing or would you say it is time to leave alone. I think it is a fine line at this stage as to disturb the new growth or leave it, so hearing your thoughts on this would be great
DaveB
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by DaveB »

kimr wrote:Hi Dave

I have to agree with Gazza, with Duncan on the case you couldn't get better advise, but I have to admit I trust Gazza so much and I know he will help as much as he can.

Hi Duncan

Can I ask, would you still topically treat this wound with the amount of healing that is showing or would you say it is time to leave alone. I think it is a fine line at this stage as to disturb the new growth or leave it, so hearing your thoughts on this would be great
Kimr You beat me to it thanks guys. I am now waiting for the CT to arrive and will hopefully be on my way.
DaveB
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by DaveB »

Ok Guys. As I will be treating the pond with higher doses of CT and may cause damage to filter bacteria Do I turn filters off or on. Bearing in mind that I have salt in the system any temporary spikes in nitrite will not matter and with p.H in the range 7.5 mostly ammonium???. So perhaps not ???
Best Regards Dave
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Dave,

I never turn off my filters when treating as we need to treat the whole system to make sure and if the pond is mature enough it will soon bounce back.
DaveB
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by DaveB »

Day 10 update
The Sanke is happily swimming around with the other koi, but as yet not feeding. I have decided to leave well alone since last injection two days ago ( 5th injection)and to give her a bit of a break and give the pond a rest from chemicals( combat) before starting the CT treatments over the weekend.Unfortunately the wound was not as clean as we origonally thought, because when I last treated her,I removed several scales from the back end of the wound (towards the head))These scales, looked to be infected and came out fairly easy. Hopefully I got all of the infected scales out and this will now allow the wound to heal properly.
All other koi are fine and eating well but are flick on occation. I once again lifted another 2 koi and found a couple of flukes. No other parasites were found.Your thoughts are appreciated.
Best Regards Dave
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Dave,

How many flukes did you find is it enough to treat or are you not sure to treat or not :?:

You will be treating with CT which has a good chance at stronger doses has a good chance of knocking them back if there are not to many so i personally would go along with the CT for now to help the wound.
DaveB
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by DaveB »

Gazza thanks for your input.
Flukes
I have now scraped & scoped several koi some of which show nothing some of which have body flukes. Two of the 4 new koi have body flukes and now one or two others have it as well.It is no way an infestation, however one or two koi are hanging in the water and others are flicking on occation.I am scoping different koi each day just to make sure I have not missed something else like costia. The previous treatment of combat is supposed to reduce protozoa as well as bacterial infections and it is recommended that I do not treat again with anything for 5 days, which is today.
Duncan has advised a 3 day treatment of CT which will seal the wound and kill off any flukes which is what you have said ( thanks) As you say I think the main worry is the wound and the flukes are secondary. Hopefully if I have missed anything else the CT will nuke them too. I have not stated the dosage levels as Duncan wished to keep this private and on an individual basis. I am reaising K.H % G.H which is now 5dh & 8dh respectively with a p.H of 7.8 to 8. so will hopefully go ahead today, once the sodium thiosulphate arrives ( just in case)Best REgards DaveB
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

kimr wrote:Hi Dave

Hi Duncan

hi KIm

no I would not topical this wound it looks clean enough right now and given what's about to take place we don't want a barrier set up between the C/T and the wound

dunc
DaveB
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by DaveB »

Hi Guys Just prior to treatning with CT I thought I would do a few scrapes. Just to complicate I have found what looks like dead whitespot. I have found about 2 or 3 on each scrape. These do not look like the mature stage with the classic white comma inside, nor do they have anything which I can focus on inside, even with 400x magnification and nothing is moving. It is possible I could be mistaken and now wonder whether I should be treating with M & F. Unfortunately I have between 0.2 & o.3% salt and worry about the formalyn. It is quite possible that the combat has killed off whitespot but wouldn,t think it was still on the koi, but could be wrong. I appreciate that whitespot will be the priority here but can,t be 100% sure they have it. Best REgards Dave
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

you will find white spot here http://www.koiquest.co.uk/movies.htm

but if they aint moving they aint whitespot dead or otherwise

dunc
DaveB
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by DaveB »

Duncan wrote:you will find white spot here http://www.koiquest.co.uk/movies.htm

but if they aint moving they aint whitespot dead or otherwise

dunc
Duncan thanks for clearing that up Perhaps I am just over reacting and looking for something thats not there. It is along time since I introduced whitespot into the pond and can,t really remember how I identified them, however these do not resemble anything which I have seen in the videos and definately do not move. Size however is bigger than tric and are all the same size. I am now wondering if I am contaminating the slides somehow. Thanks once again Duncan for you promt reply It is much appreciated. Best Regards Dave
DaveB
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by DaveB »

Hi Guys
After scraping several koi and taking numerous slides I finally found one with a dead tric and what I thought may have been whitespot and as they were the same size it is too small to be white spot. I did dose the pond with PP two weeks ago so perhaps these are the remains of dead TRic. Hope so.
Anyway we are finally back on for the CT treatment and I have now recieved the sodium thiosulphate ( just in case) I just wanted to be extra sure that I am treating for the right thing.Best REgards Dave
DaveB
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by DaveB »

Day 12 update ( If anyone is still interested) completed first dose of CT yesterday evening.. Switched off UVs prior to treatments and left the filters running. Koi are much more lively this morning and no problems so far. Ammonia and nitrite reading zero.
Best Regards Dave
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Dave,

This stuff always interests us mate and glad the fish are looking better :D