Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

BUMBLE
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Cetus sieve

Post by BUMBLE »

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone is running a cetus sieve before a nexus.

I have seen it on the EA stand at the national show. Is it easy to use/set up. I know you need two pumps with the larger one after the cetus.

I need a filter system with very low maintenance.

Mart.
Thorny
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Re: Cetus sieve

Post by Thorny »

Personaly mate I think its just a bit of EA propagander, If the Nexus is as good as its supposed to be You dont need anything in front of it. The fact that you have to run two pumps seem`s just crazy to me.
Keep Your money in Your pocket.
Justin
Jon W
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Jon W »

You will need an extra pump with any sieve. I guess what you need to decide is exactly what you are looking for in filtration system. Do you already have the Nexus or are you contemplating buying one. I agree with Justin insofar as EA do promote the Nexus as being a complete solution, then many people discover that for their particular pond. it isn't. Same applies to a sieve. It depends what you would consider to be low maintenance; it might need cleaning once a week or twice a day depending on size of pond and stocking levels.

If this is for an existing pond I would list all the requirements you have, and bear in mind any failings of your current filtration system and use this to configure an alternative filtration system. Then start looking for kit that will deliver the right solution for you. For less than the cost of a Cetus and Nexus you might find the perfect solution for your pond.

Regards

Jon
BUMBLE
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by BUMBLE »

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your feedback.

It appears the nexus units are like marmite you either love them or hate them!

I was planning to run one from a bottom drain and a bead filter off a skimmer. Some of the feedback I have been given by keepers who use the nexus units is that they are better if you can put something in front of them to collect heavy solids.

Just wonndered if anybody was using the balanced gravity fed sytem?

Mart.
Jules
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Jules »

I think you will find the system you speak off is designed for the swimming pool market but can be adapted to be used for your koi pnd and is no different in set up but
probably cheaper in cost as the swimming pool units are made of a different plastic. The second pump is designed to balance the system so you can stilll pull water through theNexus and keep it belown ground level.

Nexus units are a good system but it is like all things with ponds a thousand and one ways to do the same thing.

Jules
BUMBLE
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by BUMBLE »

Hi Jules,

The trouble with there being a thousand ways to filter a pond it can get confusing. Everybody has their own way of doing things offering different & conflicting advice.

The set up I mentioned earlier is something I saw on the EA stand at the national show & it is also shown in their brochure. Not seen the one for natural swimming pools.

As I'm going to build a new pond over the winter just wanted to get an opinion from someone who was actually using it, not just from the manufacturer.

Again just wondered if anyone out there was running it?

Regards...Martin.
Thepondman
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Thepondman »

Malcolm Green at Koi water Garden runs a couple, hes normally an honest bloke! He trys before he will sell products.
BUMBLE
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by BUMBLE »

Hi,

Thank for this. I have spoken to him planning to take a drive down to see him.

Thanks...Mart.
koimod
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by koimod »

Coldwater collection has a cetus running as well.
Jon W
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Jon W »

Hi Martin
I've got a mate who is not too far finishing off his pond who will be using 2 Cetus's; one from each bottom drain leading into 2 separate lines of vortices with jap matting and fluid K1. I can let you know how he gets on but I don't think it will be up and running for another couple of months, so it all depends how quickly you want to make purchases. There are a couple of other people watching and waiting to see how effective it is. He's not using any other form of solids removal so it should be a fairly good test of their effectiveness. Personally I'm put off by having to run 2 pumps on the same filtration line; I can't see electricity getting any cheaper!

Cheers

Jon
BUMBLE
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by BUMBLE »

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the reply.

If you could let me know how he gets on that would be great!

I'm in no rush, digging the pond over the winter looking at getting up & running in the spring. I'd like to have a look if possible, if that's not to cheeky?

King regards....Martin.
Jon W
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Jon W »

Hi Martin

Sorry I haven't replied before; an electrical storm seems to have knackered my internet connection at home. I'll post some piccies when the installation is underway. This might be a few weeks because the filter house is still being built and the builder keeps being called away on other jobs and the weather isn't exactly perfect for putting up roofs.

Cheers

Jon
Carl
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Carl »

BUMBLE wrote:Hi Jules,

The trouble with there being a thousand ways to filter a pond it can get confusing. Everybody has their own way of doing things offering different & conflicting advice.

The set up I mentioned earlier is something I saw on the EA stand at the national show & it is also shown in their brochure. Not seen the one for natural swimming pools.

As I'm going to build a new pond over the winter just wanted to get an opinion from someone who was actually using it, not just from the manufacturer.

Again just wondered if anyone out there was running it?

Regards...Martin.
Hi Martin,
I know the system you are talking about, i have been looking at it myself as i am in the process of a new pond build and have been looking at various filter systems and have had countless hours of conversation with different dealers on filteration. Looking at the Nexus and Sieve combination it does look a pucker bit of kit but i cannot understand the logic behind their system, where the bottom drain pipe has a Tee piece in it where half the dirty water goes into the Sieve and the other half goes straight into the Nexus and the water that goes into the Sieve is then pumped back into the bottom drain pipe with the dirty water to then go into the Nexus :? :? Maybe there is something i am missing to this system, obviously the manufactuer must know what they are doing. To be honest everyone i have spoke to has said the same thing regarding the Nexus they are good for the biological side of things if they are coupled with some sort of pre filter to get rid of the heavy stuff ie Sieve or Vortex and a bead filter after for final polishing, then your getting on for well over 2k for your filter system nearer 3k or more with your pumps and pipe work. Having gone through every type of filter system i can think of and doing my home work i would proberbly go for a good gravity feed bay filter with the biggest vortex i can get so the water in the vortex is in there a lot longer to get rid of most of the heavy stuff then use the bay filter with static and moving K1 and proberbly jap matting too for the biological side as i dont think you can beat the moving K1 and possibly a small bead for the final polish. But this is just my thoughts and im no expert :D

C
BUMBLE
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by BUMBLE »

Hi Carl.

Thanks for your feedback, it appears we are thinking along the same lines. Some of the many koi people i have been talking too air on the side of caution with regards to a vortex, many prefer a settlement chamber.

Due to the size a my build I'm thinking of 2 bottom drains.
1. sieve & bead
2. Nexus?

Undecided on which bead but like the aquadyne, my only concern is the size of pump required to run it. As far as the nexus, again the feedback I have been getting ditto's yours, it performs best with something in front of it to collect heavy solids. I like the idea of the sieve in front but the negative is a second pump is required.

Going to give it some more thought over the winter?

Best of luck with your build let me know how you get on.

Kind regards....Martin.
BUMBLE
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by BUMBLE »

Hi Jon,

Looking forward to seeing the pics... Hope the weather improves soon.

Mart.