Tail Tube Damage

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

wallo69
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Tail Tube Damage

Post by wallo69 »

Hi Guys,

Initial views and advice appreciated whilst I tidy my gear away for the night, would be appreciated.

'Lump' spotted today turned out to be quite a bit more than that - no suture kit on hand, so did initial 'merchurochrome spray' into the wound and returned to pond as I need a few bits before I consider any further action.

Thanks,

Mark

One side

Other side

Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Re: Tail Tube Damage

Post by Gazza »

Hi Mark,

Not sure it needs stitching but i think i would of had a good dig out and make sure there was no muck in there and a very good clean out before topically treating and sealing.

I wonder if when healed if its not stuck together perhaps some super glue :idea:
wallo69
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by wallo69 »

Hi Gazza,

Think your right. I have meant to ask - is this the normal superglue or medical gear?

Think I may have to inject baybril?

Mark
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Mark,

I am not 100% sure but the difference is not much just made cleaner for us in the medical side but normally super glue should work and it will be interesting to hear Duncan's call on this one.

I have to admit i am not a "quick jabber" (not being rude just not sure how to put it) as i find a lot of the time people can cause more problems by "jabbing" and there is not always a need for this and just going on the picture it doesn't look very very red and i am sure if all cleaned out and sealed and kept in good water i would hope that wound could heal.

But this is just the opinion of a mer Muppet :shock:
wallo69
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by wallo69 »

Hi Gazza,

Yup, here what your saying on the 'rush to antibiotics' issue, and hoping the fact that she has broken her tail and its blue/purple rather than red means its already trying to heal.

I shall have her out in the next day or so, fully 'under' to make sure its cleaned out, but when your bending open to clean out, concerned doing more damage than good! :oops:

Any other thoughts, please fire away!

Mark
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Mark,

Do you think it is broken away do you think or not sure yet :?:

I hope Dunc comes in on this as i would be interested to hear his thoughts on this wound.
wallo69
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by wallo69 »

Gazza,

I am concerned as you are that the damage is across the join between bone and the cartilage of the rays, as it way quite 'floppy' under its own weight, hence considering sutures.

I shall PM Dunc, ask him to have a look.

Mark
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Mark,

I am sure he will have a better idea than i for sure :D

Is this on the bottom part of the tail and any idea how it could of done the damage as i was thinking last night about how this damage could of been done :?:
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

ok guys ive cleaned the photo up a bit

you may need to loose all the scales inside the red area then work H2o2 into the crevis clean out then topical and seal

trust me your gonna need an antibiotic for this its quite infected

dunc
Attachments
tube12.jpg
tube12.jpg (37.26 KiB) Viewed 2301 times
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

See told you i would be wrong :roll:
wallo69
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by wallo69 »

Thanks Dunc, looks like I am going in this evening then!

Mark
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Nice one Mark and don't forget the camera :D
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

hi as it is is terribly infected this is showing on the other side

you probabl;y are not going to cure this by trying to work through that crack you will maybe need to open it out a bit

dont worry about the bones they are not in solid contact with one another unbder that crack lie the hyplurals

have a look in the book you will see how they terminate inside the tail tube

but make no mistake this is a serious infection

dunc
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Dunc,

Looks like i was miles out :oops: as i would of expected this not to be as bad as you say as i thought the damage and colour would look a lot more angry is it because you can see it looks like it has gone all the way through to the other side :?:

I have to admit i would of gave it a massive clean out and then treated and sealed but not injected well that is until i had had a look as you say i would be pulling it open for a good look be interesting if Mark could get a picture of that.
wallo69
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by wallo69 »

Hi Dunc/Gazza,

Well, my first effort was rubbish as I had not read Dunc's further posts, particularly about opening it up, and my efforts were tentative, and I thought as it looked very fragile (the rays are coming away from the peduncle) I held off the H2O2 as there didnt appear to me anything in the way of 'crap' to get rid of, so soaked in Mercurochrome, then attempted the orahesive, lock&seal, orahesive, lock and seal, as the hole was so big.

Anyway, not long back in the pond and the muck was falling off in the pond :evil: the flexing just busts it open again!

Anyway, dose 1 of 3 of baytril injected, so when I get her out for the second dose on Wednesday I shall have to do it all again, as per Duncs last post!

Temp notched up a couple of degrees as well to 23 so hoping heat will help the healing.

Mark