K1 Conversion

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

fishboyfishy
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

K1 Conversion

Post by fishboyfishy »

I have a 1500 gallon pond gravity fed, with a genisis 3 bay filter. I have removed the brushes from bay 2 and replaced with static k1.

The pond was new in June and I had the various issues with parameter fluctuations. but nothing serious, and the fish have done quite well.

However the third bay has the standard alphagrog.

But I am now thinking that maybe I should do convert bay 3 to fluid K1, would this considerably increase the bio filtration?

I have looked at other peoples conversions so I know what I would require, but where can i buy the perforated sheet that is need to replace the egg grate stuff I currently have?

Also would I need to increase the pump size? currently has a dry mounted 6000?
AlanH
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Re: K1 Conversion

Post by AlanH »

I converted mine. Vortex, brushes, fluid K1, fluid K1, jap mat. I think for you the second chamber should be fluidised and the third static with the facility to agitate for cleaning. I stand to be corrected on that. It's not much use to you looking at your location but I got my perforated sheet from Koi Cabin in Osset. I opened the holes up to the maximum size possible without the K1 passing through, a tedious job but worth it for the increase in flow.
Alan
kayoss
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kayoss »

I'd suggest you don't use the plastic sheet to contain the K1. I know you have a different design of filter, but it might be wortth reading this article before you decide which way to go. http://www.bkks.co.uk/a-detritus-problem-solved.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Could you fit one of these inserts from Kockneykoi to your drain pipe to contain it? http://www.kockneykoi.co.uk/productpage ... nserts.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That said, I've never drained my airated chamber since I did the final conversion, so it's probably not needed anyway!

Cheers
fishy hands
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by fishy hands »

yes fishboy i would like to convert mine 5 bay too i know you can get the plastic sheeting from absolute koi but i also read about the holes in the sheeting not being big enough for a good flow of water so still not sure what to do. has any one any idea's on laying a sheet of jap matting on the egg box mesh thats in there now then adding k1 also the page from kockney koi i cant see how that would stop the k1 getting through but maybe i'm just thick ( there is no need to agree )
eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by eds »

As Bob was saying you don't want a void under the K1. Just use something to cover the drain pipe and inlet and outlet pipes. I have a drilled divider at the inlet and outlet of my chamber and capped, slotted pipes in the drin pipes so the K1 can't escape.

If you put a void under the K1 solids will settle out in the calm water and collect and flushing won't get rid of that. Read Bob's article on the BKKS site.