formaldehyde and paraformaldehyde information

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Davej
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Re: formaldehyde and paraformaldehyde information

Post by Davej »

Ta Duncan,

Sounds like, as usual, you got it all covered!!

Dave
anne
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by anne »

Is it really that simple? I have had koi burned by this product following the dosagedirections http://www.ntlabs.co.uk/UserFiles/File/fmg.pdf Can't things like waterquality and chemistry play part to :!: Other treatments you pure in the water may affect. And it was always the same fish that got burned so I guess he had a sensetive skin.
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

Anne

this is purely about useing a generic chemicals together namely formaldehyde and salt which has always supposed to be a NO,no ! its not about is one or the other capable in capable of on its own and adverse reaction which of course we know eveen salt can do.

even if these results go the way they are looking they will go you are still going to have to use a modicom of common sence when applying it

by the way that NTlabs "all in one" treatment is a joke to all except for those who make money out of it one will react with the other its a know fact you are better off with seperate generic formalin and malachite green and mix your own at the time

and yers you right water conditions will play a huge roll in this which is why i have gone for mid range organic load and mid range O2 conditions

dunc
StuW
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by StuW »

Hi Duncan, fascinating stuff and cant wait to see the results but would there ever be any practical application for Salt and Formaldehyde at these levels and if so for what??
If it works I want to know what it can be used on :)
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

hi

well the kohaku has spent its first 24 hours in 1 oz per gallon salt and 10ml per 75 gallons of 38% formaldehyde ( actually it was more like 12ml per 75 gallons as i rounded my seasure up)

the kohaku is still with us and still unphased by it all. and dont forget this is on the back of a 5 not 7 day repeat

so all in all im happy with the way things are going. im going to hit it once more with a double dose then change the fish for a 55cm hi utsuri and a smaller utsuri see if it effects smaller fish adversley

i would have thought it was one of the biggest studies done in a long time im surprised more people are not viewing the outcome i suppose its just not that important if you can use formalin with salt or not :?:
Geoff9
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Geoff9 »

Duncan Said"i would have thought it was one of the biggest studies done in a long time im surprised more people are not viewing the outcome i suppose its just not that important if you can use formalin with salt or not"

Hi Duncan
You might be right but I think the outcome of your experiment will be used in disagreements for years to come,so it might not seem like many people are interested, but I'm sure they are and it will be used as a yardstick in most future treatments,keep up the good work.

Regards Geoff
tomy2ponds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by tomy2ponds »

Hi I am watching with great interest as said a proper in depth trial,what ever the out come is I will be taking great notice of it.Keep up the good work Duncan :)
bicolormoth
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by bicolormoth »

I agree with Lee. great experiment , sorry 'research' . As i use the stuff myself it would greatly benefit me to know exactly how it really does/does not work .
keep it up Dunc. great stuff. :)

Russell.
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

day two and still no change the koi is unphased and i can even smell the formladehyde

on the down side i woke up and found my momotaro shiro utsuri brood fish dead she was 70cm

dunc
bicolormoth
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by bicolormoth »

sorry to hear that very sad news about the Shiro Duncan. not much of a birthday present for you. gutted for you fella. :cry:

Russell.
tomy2ponds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by tomy2ponds »

Hi Duncan not good news any Idea why she died ? :cry:
Limey
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Limey »

Sorry about the loss Duncan you must be gutted :(
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

thanks guys
tomy2ponds wrote:Hi Duncan not good news any Idea why she died ?
no idea and i was not about to spoil a great day by dissecting i could not bring her back

but the thought counts
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Duncan,

Sorry to hear about that mate never nice to loose one.
tomy2ponds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by tomy2ponds »

Hi Duncan really pleased to hear you had a great day :D how's the test going ?? still happily swimming around ?