Absolute newbie needs help

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

biffa
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Absolute newbie needs help

Post by biffa »

Hi all, just had the pond fibreglassed today, so to say the least the build is pretty advanced.The pond is just over 3500 gal, with 2 drains & a skimmer.The plan is to run 2 gravity vortex`s pumped to a bead filter. So far so good, what i could really use some info on is type of bead filter, pump size, makes, models etc etc. Any help would be really appreciated, it all seems like a bit of a minefield out there, ask a different dealer and get a different answer.

Many thanks , Dave
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Re: Absolute newbie needs help

Post by Gazza »

Hi Dave,

Welcome to Koi Quest :D

There are many types of filtration you can use and it depends on what you want and how much room you have to be honest.

It may be an idea to get out and see if you can see a few types of set up on some pond visits.Where are you situated as we may be able to get you some pond visits on members ponds :idea:
biffa
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by biffa »

Thanks for the welcome.We live in Bedford, the room for the filtration is as big as required.Our garden resembles the Somme battlefield, with a plan to totally redisign in the longterm. At the moment all that has been built is an area big enough for the vortex`s so the rest is flexible
kayoss
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kayoss »

Hi Dave

As Gazza says, have a look round at the filter systems that are available before you spend a fortune!!

I'm only in Dunstable if you want to look at mine (sent you PM too).

Cheers
benyiii
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by benyiii »

Hi

First really would recommend sieves over a vortex before the bead. This is really important IMO. The size of the vortex needed will be so much larger than a sieve, and if you get one too small it will be useless and that is a serious problem when running a bead. In my opinion sieves are simply one of the best inventions in koi as they take the waste out of the water thus preventing it from dissolving. They are also very easy to clean, and as mentioned take up little room.

Regards beads there are many on the market the distinction comes on what type of pump they run on high pressure (=high wattage=lots of money) or the ones that run on pumps such as a sequence or aquamax. If money is no problem i would probably go for a aquadyne or ultra bead as have heard very good things. But if it is then look into a bead that runs on a low wattage pump. There are a few on the mkt if your interested i can PM you the details. I run one on my pond and can testify that they do work well.

best, Ben