Electric shocks.

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Smart Koi
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Electric shocks.

Post by Smart Koi »

Any advice would be wellcome as I may need to replace a pump in the morning.

In my lagest Shoreham tank I run two submersible pumps. One to keep the original pipework clear of static water and a second larger pump which feeds an eazypod.

When cleaning the pod tonight I thought I was resting on a nerve as I was gettin a little tingle when my fingers touched the water. When It happened a second time I startedto think it was an electrical problem. Now I'm pretty sure its the larger pump as I have had my hands in the water with just the small one running with no problems. However I have just tried a different socket to see if there was any difference and this was my findings. When the larger pump was running which is submersed in the filter tank on the side of the shoreham tank I decided to put my hand in the water ( I know electricity and water I hear you shout) nothing no tingling or anything. So I thinks to myself if the pump is at fault then surely I would have got another belt off it, not the case. So next up I opened the Eazy pod which is on a raised platform and dipped the finger in there. Different story. Instant tingling therefore assuming some kind of leakage. Only thing is both the main sockets are RCD protected as is the extension lead which was originally in use.

Now my dad is a sparky and I have spoken to him and he cant understand why the RCD's have not tripped.

So is there anyone out there who can explain what is wrong before I dip me hans in me pocket for a new pump.

Cheers Dean.
Andy H
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Re: Electric shocks.

Post by Andy H »

Surely can`t be partial elec leakage? trip would go pop?

Must be nerves............. interesting one that!
Smart Koi
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Smart Koi »

I know, but the water must flow between the tank ant the pod / return must make a circuit so why am I getting a belt in the pod but not the main tank where the pump is located?

Got a sore arm now after around six little shocks.
welsh_kai_boy
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by welsh_kai_boy »

I am not a sparky but I think what is happening is that you are earthing the live when you put your hand in the water (completing the circuit) RCD's I think need to have an earth trip ie it senses 30mA current draw to earth and trips out. Because the live is not connecting with the earth in the pond then thats why the trip is not tripping.

Isolate the equipment.
Smart Koi
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Smart Koi »

Pump was switched off aroun an hour ago with as much water in the pod as it will naturally hold. Just hope the K1 will not suffer to much without waterflow for 24 hours.
dan57682001
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by dan57682001 »

to be on the safe side you could put a earth stake in the ground and just dangle the cable in the water, then if there is a fault the rcd should trip. if there is a slight water leak on your submersable it will only get worse over time which means maybe a bigger electric shock!!! good luck in finding your problem anyway.
bicolormoth
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by bicolormoth »

biggest culprit is the gland nut & seal on the pump where the cable enters the pump body. i have had 2 go this way. luckily only got minor shocks of them both times. they can be resealed and should be ok after that. :wink:
longboardpete
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by longboardpete »

May sound silly, but are you touching anything else with any part of your body when you put your finger in the pod, or are you standing on a different floor material?
Are you sure the circuit is protected by RCD, some consumer units are split and the RCD does not cover all circuit?

Pete
steveW
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by steveW »

as Dan has said it a good precaution to have an earth stake and earth into the pond :)

if you think about it, your pond is totally isolated from GROUND as you have a a plastic / fibreglass liner lots of pvc piping and a plastic bucket (eazipod), non of which conduct electricity :?
so as soon as you put your hand in you complete the circuit :shock:

as for only feeling it only in the POD, it could be 1 of 2 things :arrow:
1/ you are standing/touching/leaning on something that IS earthed. or
2/ the electricity leak could be from inside the pump body (not cable gland), the water flow is to the pod hence the best place to feel it :wink:

good luck, but you should replace as soon as possible :wink: