Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Russ Little Pond
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Turn over rate.

Post by Russ Little Pond »

900 gallons pond.
I`m pumping into a big brush chamber to aerated K1 and wanted to know if it`s better to have a faster turn over rate than once every 1hr 25mins for the media i`m using, if it`s best to go faster, up to twice an hour is that ok ?
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Re: Turn over rate.

Post by Gazza »

Hi Russ,

The turnover rate is determined by your filters and if you start pulling through to fats then the waste will get pulled into the bio chamber which is not a good thing.
steveW
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by steveW »

not being an expert but the reccomended is to turn over the full pond once every 2 hours,

so i would say if you are running once every 1.5 hours is ok.

your pond is approaching 4000 litres , so you are turning over 3000 litres / hour. :?

looks good to me, but you may be able to increase a little but as your filter is home made, the only way to find out is to test. :wink: but if your water params are ok why increase :?:
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Russ,

In my opinion small ponds need a high turnover. I would be aiming to turn the pond over at least once per hour, faster wouldnt be a problem. As Gazza has said, it can depend on what filtration you have of course and how it can cope with it.

I run a circa 500 gallon growing on pond, which I turn over about every 20/25 minutes. I know someone who's turns over every 15 minutes.

Steve - the old adage of once every 2-hours is really a little old fashioned now, although it is still quoted. There used to also be 'retension time' built into filters, so the bacteria had time to 'consume' the ammonia. These days it has been worked out that the bacteria consume it however fast the water passes through.
Russ Little Pond
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Thanks lads,

The inlet for the pump is located a foot below surface so very little solid waste goes into brush chamber wich is pulled regual.

I`m thinking of getting an Blagdon anphibious P8000 1800 gallons an hour, so it turns the pond over twice an hour.
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Russ,

Someone of here is selling one of them I think (Blagdon anphibious P8000 )
Andy H
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Andy H »

There used to also be 'retension time' built into filters, so the bacteria had time to 'consume' the ammonia. These days it has been worked out that the bacteria consume it however fast the water passes through.
That answers my retension time question then! I was thinking along the same lines that the bacteria would eat what they wanted as it passed by at what ever speed..... Am I off the mark?
Russ Little Pond
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

I wanted feed back regards turn over rate before I went and got a pump so thank you all for that, now it`s time to get pump and tunr over pond twice an hour, I will keep you posted thanks.
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Andy H wrote:
There used to also be 'retension time' built into filters, so the bacteria had time to 'consume' the ammonia. These days it has been worked out that the bacteria consume it however fast the water passes through.
That answers my retension time question then! I was thinking along the same lines that the bacteria would eat what they wanted as it passed by at what ever speed..... Am I off the mark?

Andy,

The 'Guru' Dunc, says it doesnt mater what speed the water passes through, the bacteria consume it as it passes by. Quicker turnover means that any Ammonia is treated quicker. Nitrite is the same on the same pass - it's gone.