Best type of filter setup.

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Russ Little Pond
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Best type of filter setup.

Post by Russ Little Pond »

I`m soon going to be setting up a new QT tank 6ft x 3.5ft circul and i`m unsure on choice of of filter setup, I have a good K1 chamber but dont know which would be a better setup, good size vortex chamber filled with brushes into a K1 chamber, or a small multi bay chamber (vortex, brushes, jap mat, flow cor) into K1 chamber back to pond.

Whats the best setup ??

Thanks.
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Best type of filter setup.

Post by Bob Hart »

Ideally a small shower Russ. Can be made from stacking boxes. If using a static K1 chamber beforehand and money is tight, just use a 2" layer of large pieces of alfagrog, but watch out for solids being trapped in there. If money isnt an issue, 20kg of BHM would make a great filter. Turn the water over every 30-mins or less.
eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by eds »

Got to agree with Bob. My QT has a DIY shower and it does an amazing job. I've got 20kgs of BHM in there. If you stack it over the pond too then it's very space efficient too as the whole footprint is pond.
Russ Little Pond
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

The K1 is aerated and money has been spent on rebuilding retaining wall holding filter bank for main pond, so I have to use what i`ve got.

Though I do like the idear of a shower..
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Whatever you decide Russ, have the water turning over as quickly as you can. Forget the old adage of once every 2-hours, that is yesterdays thinking. Ponds these days should turn over once an hour minimum, ammonia is stripped out immediatly, retention time is also yesterdays thinking. With these small ponds, once every 30-mins works really well, especially if you end up with more Koi in there then expected and they are growing.

My 472 gallon pond has 19 Koi in there currently, all growing. The largest 2 will be approaching 60cm now, many others in 50's/40's and some smaller. Turnover is once every 30-mins or so though a static K1 and then small shower. Works very well and has done for a few years now.
Russ Little Pond
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Thanks Bob,

I looked at the cost of BHM and after I got up off the floor I think im going to go with Vortex packed with brushes having water enter the chamber a one quarter up from base into aerated K1, taking water from the upper quarter of the pond and regual bottom vacuuming.

Will I benefit using aerated K1 with high turn over ?

Thanks.
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

High turnover whatever media you choose!
Russ Little Pond
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Thank you lads.
boogatee
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by boogatee »

an alternative to BHM .... works just as well - in a small setup IMHO... about £30 for 25 ltrs