Rounded Pond Walls

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

willtom
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Rounded Pond Walls

Post by willtom »

A question for all those brickies out there!

I want to round the 2 ends of my pond, but not entirely sure of the best way and best blocks. The idea is to have the entire pond rendered as an end result (no brick facing), therefore the structure will have to be pretty strong I guess!

Has anyone got any advice or better still, some photos of the best method?

Many thanks in advance!

Will
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rounded Pond Walls

Post by Bob Hart »

Hi Will,

I would guess that the easiest way to get a nice round corner is to use bricks not blocks for the corners. You'll have to make sure they are tied in to any blockwork for the main part of the walls though.
Thorny
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Thorny »

Hi Will, It all depends on the sharpness of the curve. If its a nice big sweeping curve You will get away with full blocks laid flat. If its a little tighter turn then You will have to snap all the blocks and lay them as two 100 mm skins side by side. If its a real tight turn then You would have to go with bricks layed as headers giving You a 9 inch wall. As most on Here know I have built plenty of ponds some with real tight turns as You can see from the picture I didnt have a straight stretch at all on this pond.
I think sometimes it less hastle to just hire the services of a brickie for a day or two. That way You could even have nice pretty face work :wink:
Attachments
jason pond.jpg
jason pond.jpg (5.28 KiB) Viewed 15345 times
vippymini
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by vippymini »

thorny, could you not lay them layed flat but vertical to get a tight curve?
Thorny
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Thorny »

Yes You can lay the vertical but You will still be using blocks that are 440mm long, If You are trying to get round a really tight turn when You lay the course over the top they will over hang and hatch and grin makeing the render a little more of a task.
When I built Glen & Annettes pond, on some of the curves I Built that in a 100mm skin and layed the blocks completely up the other way. 225mm bed joints and 440mm purp joints. This is a little trickier task. I would not advise to lay more that 3 course high 1350mm as it will start to move and float about.
Justin
willtom
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by willtom »

Thanks for your reply's Justin - I was hoping you come to the rescue as I have seen before so many times on this forum!!

In terms of the concrete blocks, are they high density ones? And what are the exact measurements - 440mm x ? x ?.

Will
Thorny
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Thorny »

No probs High dens concrete blocks, 100mm x 215mm x 440mm.
Justin
willtom
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by willtom »

That's great. Thanks Justin.

Not the best time of year to be doing this, but you've got to start somewhere! As soon as I have something to show, I will post some pics!

Will
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Will,

I like a shape to a pond and when building mine i wanted a front curved wall as the pond is in the corner and one thing i didn't want was the curve being to tight which meant it would look odd shaped or with edges sticking out to far as then they can look a bit like a 50p (if you know what i mean) :shock: So in the ends i had a professional build it for me.,..boy do i wish i knew Justin then :roll: still always the next time :D
willtom
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by willtom »

Yeah, that's not a bad idea Gazza, and I have just noticed that 'Thorny' is not a million miles away from me...!! :wink:

Not only is there the expertise there, but there is a huge timing element involved!
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Will,

Yes if you can Justin is your man he has done some cracking ponds ans can lay some blocks on the double quick :D :D

Here a few shots of my pond in construction which may give you some idea

[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... 3_1310.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... 3_1301.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.koipix.com/gallery/albums/userpi ... 3_1337.jpg[/img]
willtom
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by willtom »

Cheers Gazza! Are the bottom 2 courses 9" hollows?

Will
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Will,

No the two bottom courses are the big concrete hollows which where back filled and set into the base....my dad used to call it the nuclear bunker when it was being built :lol: :lol:
Thorny
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Thorny »

Thanks for the kind words Gazza, Next time! You on the move? You know if I do it for You it will have a window, No argueing :D

Will, fill free to give Me a shout even if its to run a few ideas through. Just as a guide I normally do all the block , brickwork and render on a 8,000 gallon pond for example in under a week :wink:
So sometimes it pays ten fold to hire a profesional.Even if its to only do part of the build.
Good luck
Justin
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Justin,

Not on the move yet but if and when we do you will be getting the call young man trust me......WINDOW :shock: :D