nexus easy negatives

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

GERRY5
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by GERRY5 »

davej.....i am intrigued now , and if brad dont mind on his thread ....and as we are all here to learn ....and i dont have a clue about easypods ...just what are the negs on a pod ...in case anybody is considering buying one :roll: :roll: :roll:

kim ...when you win the lotto , i wouldnt mind a 300eazy if your feeling generous :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kimr »

Gerry

If I win enough its yours :D Keep your fingers crossed
gingeletiss
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by gingeletiss »

kimr wrote:Gerry

If I win enough its yours :D Keep your fingers crossed
I'll have a second :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Davej
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by Davej »

Gerry

My experience with a POD.

It is a sexxy looking thing but...

Whilst the biggest criticism of the Easys is their price, IMHO you get what you pay for; a reasonable well designed single unit with both mechanical and good bio capability. With the Pod you are paying top whack for what is basically a mechanical filter with limited Bio capability that is not particularly well designed

Think that when considering the 200 or 300 Easy the question is whether it would be possible to make a single DIY unit that does as good a job; answer would be probably be no. With the POD it would be a resounding YES.

Positioning of the drain to waste is a fundamental flaw.

The bottom of the vortex chamber has a hump in it where the output pipe goes. The drain is positioned on the side (notthe bottom) just clockwise of this hump. So when cleaning, muck does not drain but accumulates next to the hump. I use a loo brush to agitate the muck when cleaning, not a simple clean hands operation...

Regards

Dave
brother of feeeshpond

Post by brother of feeeshpond »

Dave-(Gingeletis)
Might as well bung it back in that skip then :!:

See if theres a Bakki in there instead :wink:
Smart Koi
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Smart Koi »

I'm with Dave.

The major flaw with the pod is the waste exit. I clean mine twice a week and its more than a quick flush. I find I need to agitate the k1 at least three times to feel that it is clean enough. I also have to assist with removal of the waste form the other side of the waste hump. I use a length of overflow pipe but always end up with fish waste on my hands from inside the pod.

Considering its meant to be a one hit wonder I have been dissapointed with mine. Its on a 450 gallon stock tank and although I find the fines are removed it does struggle to keep nitrite down. I do not feed heavily to promote growth and I think that alternative biological filtration is necessary / essential.

Cheers Dean.
tigercat
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by tigercat »

Be interested to know if anyone as experienced a problem in getting a pod to boil...from new mine would not , untill i removed about half a dozen hand fulls of K1 then off it went...it had been filled from new with the supplied 30ltr bag.
Davej
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by Davej »

Yes,

if my Pod isn't brim full of water it doesn't boil. Solution is to fill up with a bucket - not ideal...

Regards

Dave
Mikkoi
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Mikkoi »

Hi All you will possibly find that new K1 is too bouyant at first once it starts maturing it will gain a little weight and boil a lot easier
judyanngee
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by judyanngee »

tigercat wrote:Be interested to know if anyone as experienced a problem in getting a pod to boil...from new mine would not , untill i removed about half a dozen hand fulls of K1 then off it went...it had been filled from new with the supplied 30ltr bag.
YES :shock: when I first got my pod (now on my skimmer line) I used it on my old pond and knew nothimng about K1 and how it had to "boil".

For months mine wasn't cleaning properly until my pond builder came and took some K1 out (I had put the correct amount in as it was what EA had supplied) He was amazed that I didn't have trichodiina problems. It did however make a vast difference to the clarity of my water.

I also agree about the waste pipe, I use a small brush taped to a length of wood to get the last bit of muck out!!!!!! :shock:
GERRY5
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by GERRY5 »

well folks ...thanks for the enlightenment regarding the pod, looks to be a good unit but has drawbacks mainly the flushing to waste side of things and only a mechanical fines remover at best ....summary is ....good but could do better, would that be a fair assumption :?: :?: :?: :?:

dave j\all ....it is possible to make a 200\300 diy in one unit with the same sort of capacity if not bigger than the bought item, not wishing to be pompous but i already built one ....i used a hydra 6000 with a barrel in it and inside the barrel a rubber dustbin , water is fed into the lower levels of the hydra comes up through 200ltrs of static k1 and through holes in the barrel goes down between drum and barrel and up through holes in the base of the dustbin which has fluidised k1 about seventy ltrs or so then down a 4inch pipe with slots in it to return to pond the system is pump fed and has a waste outlet at the bottom when the outer air ring is activated for cleaning running off a kam air 80ltr air pump ..not as sexy looking as the real thing but has more or less the same footprint :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :roll: :roll: :roll:
kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kimr »

Gerry

You forgot the pictures :wink:
Louie
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Louie »

Now if were talking of EasyPod negatives then I suspect the list would be considerably longer.... :roll:

Regards

Dave[/quote]

OK....... Dish the dirt on the Eazy Pod then!

I've had mine going for about 8 weeks now with a Hozelock 9000 as backup until it matures. Hozelock has a 15W UV and I'm also running a TMC 30W prior to the Pod. Fish seem happy enough but the water does look pretty green. Haven't checked for water quality in the last two weeks as I've been away but reckon the rapid growth speaks for itself.
I was going to use the Pod on the skimmer for a new and imminent build but would be interested in hearing about the negs!! £400 is a lot of money if it's not going to perform!!!

Louie
Davej
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by Davej »

Louie

Scroll up a few posts, think Gerry summarises the position well.

Gerry

Photos please... sounds interesting; Am I reading you right though - 200L in the Easy and 70L in the bio?

Regards

Dave
GERRY5
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by GERRY5 »

dave j yep you are right ...the hydra 6000is about a metre or so all round and about the same deep , inside that is a 45 gallon drum the same as you see at ckf then inside that is a rubber dustbin the main diiference is that the static is on the outside then goes up to meet the slots in the barrel then down again to come up thro the bottom of the dustbin where it meets the fluidised k1 about 60\70ltrs of it then returns to pond wheeas the nexus operates the other way round of course static in middle bio on the outside , like i said dont look pretty or sexy looking but does a fair job im pretty sure of the media content cos thats what me and mr davis measured out will get jen to post piccys if i can get her into the filter house to take em tommorow... :wink: :wink: :wink: