Superglue question probably for Duncan

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

StuW
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Superglue question probably for Duncan

Post by StuW »

I have a fish that has split its one pec in two places and it has been red for a while. Now I want to glue it together as it is not healing (probably inject with A/B as a precaution, but in two minds as no actual infection present.
Now have 2 questions,
should I trim back the edges of the splits to encourage new growth? and
What is the main difference between surgical superglu and industrial superglue. I have some of the latter and wondered if I could use that instead or are there additives in it that would harm the fish?
Thanks
stuart
fisherman
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Re: Superglue question probably for Duncan

Post by fisherman »

Hi Stewart
I my opinion leave alone as it will heal itself even more so in the weather we are getting unless it comes infected
StuW
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by StuW »

It Seriously needs fixing
STUART
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

the main difference between medical superglue and regular super glue is a ) its certified should sombody decide to sue you for using it . and B) its more flexible but i would argue with the latter but in ourt case we dont want it to be flexible
yes re-open the edges of the split but again done use much of it..

stu a copy and paste for you Not the first part about "is an acrylic resin which rapidly polymerises in the presence of water" you dont need much as when in contact with moisture it goes off really fast ( in a couple of seconds)

"Super Glue" or Cyanoacrylate (CA) is an acrylic resin which rapidly polymerises in the presence of water. The principle component of commercial CAs (SuperGlue, Krazy Glue, Loctite) is either methy-2-cyanoacrylate or ethyl-2-cyanoacrylate, the original forms of CA developed in 1942 by Kodak Laboratories. (The discovery was made whilst investigating potential, high clarity, acrylics for the use in gun sights. Whilst not suitable for this application CA was quickly identified as a fast acting, low shear strength adhesive.)

During the Vietnam war it was used in field surgery with good effect, however, despite the promising results it was not approved by the Unites States Food and Drug Administration due to the unknown toxicity and two significant side effects during the polymerization process:

1.The curing process creates an exothermic reaction (heat) which can cause further tissue damage.
2.The process releases cyanoacetate and formaldehyde - both irritants to the eyes, nose, throat and lungs.

Medical Glue

To overcome these harmful issues, new CAs were developed with the express purpose of use in surgery. 2-octyl cyanoacrylate (Derma+flex® QS™, SurgiSeal, FloraSeal and Dermabond) causes less skin irritation and increased flexibility and strength compared to traditional 'Super Glue'. In 1998 the US FDA approved 2-octyl cyanoacrylate for the closure of wounds and surgical incision and in 2001 was approved as "barrier against common bacterial microbes including certain staphylococci, pseudomonads, and Escherichia coli".

n-butyl cyanoacrylate wound adhesives are available under the trade names: LiquiBand®, Histoacryl, Indermil, GluStitch, GluShield, and Periacryl (dental adhesive)

Octyl ester, while providing a weaker bond, are more flexible. Butyl esters provide stronger bond, but are rigid.
StuW
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by StuW »

Cheers Duncan, really interesting read as I expected from you. Thanks.
Hope you and Pol are both well and enjoying this brilliant weather