flukes

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

sam51
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

flukes

Post by sam51 »

hi all,whats the best cure for flukes at this time of year,temp down to 10degrees.fluke solve seems expensive,£31 for 2500 galls.
£41 for 5000galls.for the extra £10 seems best to go large.is this a one of dose,or is there something just as good,
just seems to me that to treat a few flukes on a 2000 gall pond its £31,is a bit over the top.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Re: flukes

Post by Gazza »

Hi Sam,

Best to try to get hold of Flubonel it works a treat :D
Brockp
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Brockp »

Hi Gazza et al;

If anybody has a source for Flubonel could they pm me as I have been trying all my normal routes without success.

Peter
sam51
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by sam51 »

Brockp wrote:Hi Gazza et al;

If anybody has a source for Flubonel could they pm me as I have been trying all my normal routes without success.

Peter
i second that.
tomy2ponds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by tomy2ponds »

Hi with fluke-Solve it will work down to 3 Dg and you will only need one treatment for body flukes,gill flukes are a bit more problematic as these are egg layers and with falling temps there is no telling when they will hatch.
fisherman
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by fisherman »

Hi Sam
If you can get hold of Supaverm and that’s a big if as that certainly does works, if you know a sheep farmer well he may let you have some
Koi Man Dave
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Koi Man Dave »

If you cannot get hold of any of these you could give fluke M a go made by kusuri
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Dave,

The only problem with Fluke M is it has let to many people down but if you do use it make sure you mix it with Acetone.
Brockp
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Brockp »

Has any one an opinion on praziquantel (Fluke-Solve)?

The makers claim it works down to 3 deg. The product has been specially formulated to be soluble.

It has been around for vets use for a long time and it has been used in humans and seems to work well but I haven't seen much about success or otherwise of this Koi formulation.

Peter
ageinghippy
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by ageinghippy »

Peter,

Did you not notice Tommy2ponds post, 6 back from this one?

As he is renowned for being knowledgable on koi health matters, I think he did quite extensive testing of Flukesolve on behalf of the vet who formulated the product when it first became available, and was impressed.

Perhaps he`ll come back and tell you more.

Chris (another one)
Brockp
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Brockp »

Chris
Thanks for pointing it ou I had missed is, it would be good get some feedback from users since the launch earlier thia year.

Peter
tomy2ponds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by tomy2ponds »

Hi I was involved with some trials of fluke-Solve and have used it at 5.6 DG for body flukes scraping 24 hours later and found no flukes.I also ran a test at 18 DG for gill flukes along with water tests for longevity of the treatment.As before no flukes were found 24 hours later but as we know these are egg layers,scraping one week after treatment went in three baby flukes were found,at two weeks two babies and on weeks 3 & 4 no flukes adult or babies were found a follow up scrape six weeks after the treatment went in no flukes at all were found.Water samples were taken on weeks 1/2/3/4 and it was found that with normal filter cleaning (cloverleaf 4 filter)and no big water changes the Fluke-Solve still had enough strength to kill the hatching flukes.
It was also tested by Mark of Cuttlebrook Koi and he was so impressed with it he now stocks it.

On all the ponds I have used it on when doing follow up scrapes I have not found flukes.
Brockp
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Brockp »

Thanks Tommy;

That is just the sort of data from a trusted source we all need to know.

Peter
tomy2ponds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by tomy2ponds »

Hi Peter no problem always happy to help when possible.
One thing I forgot to add was that in trials where Tric were present in enough numbers that a dose of PP was needed 25/30 on a slide,after using Fluke-solve the numbers of Tric were greatly reduced on four Koi scraped only 3 Tric were found so I did not PP the pond.
StuW
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by StuW »

Could also use Telmin if you know somebody with horses and only have koi in the pond. Interesting article written by Duncan on his web site explaining it all. Used on my own fish with no problems at all and nuked all the flukes!!
Stuart