Tail Tube Damage

This Section Is For Advanced Hobbyists Discussing new original cutting edge Experimental and Trial Treatments and Surgical Techniques, here we take koi health and pond keeping to the next level

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Re: Tail Tube Damage

Post by Gazza »

Hi Mark,

Fingers crossed mate and hope as you say there is signs of healing and we are on the way forward.

Keep up the good work :D
tomc
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by tomc »

Have to say I was a bit taken about by the latest pictures. Whilst the wound may have closed there's a lot of "noise" happening around the wound site.

Have you dug around Mark to ensure there are no fragments of scales or some foreign bodies around this area?

Also, the marked area looked odd. Was that scale alive?

Tom
Attachments
7e206856.jpg
7e206856.jpg (47.61 KiB) Viewed 1772 times
wallo69
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by wallo69 »

Hi Tom,

The area your looking at is all 'healed over' the wound site after a complete clear out, so yes, you are right, its not right at all. The scales had been entirely removed from this area.

I have taken this all away again, back to the cartilage and HP the crevice between the cartilage and the body, where there was a lot of black crap. This is confirmation of Duncs initial comments about there being crap in there still.

As long as the koi keeps healing over I will clear it out if it continues to look like this when its healed over, until the dreaded decision to cut the tail away in this area, removing the cartilage/rays entirely.

A tough regimen, but I have to give her every chance.

Mark
tomc
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by tomc »

Mark

Thanks for clarification.

What temp are you at?

Tom
wallo69
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by wallo69 »

Tom,

Sorry, in and out, so posting when about - currently sat at 23 degrees, hoping this is enough, although can heat higher if its going to help.

Mark
tomc
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by tomc »

Hi Mark

23c is a good temperature.

When I have serious issues, I tend to head very quiclkly to 27-28c , CT'ing on the way up. Regrowth rates are v good here. That said, it's a bit of a "all in" strategy and only advisable in my view if you know your water/system is solid. If you are dealing with issues of a poor system then a rethink is required.

I've regrown signficant elements of koi at 27-28c over a relatively short-period.

Tom
wallo69
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by wallo69 »

Thankfully the koi is healing well, but I have had to clear a lot of 'crap' I had left last time :oops: that had started to get fungus growing on it, but having left her in the bowl longer ensured the area was cleaned out well, with HP cleaning out the scale pockets, merch and lock and seal, but keeping out longer to ensure the lock and seal last longer in the pond.

I also realised that the scale pocket outer cover needed bunching back to ensure that they dont instantly break the seal once they get back into the pond - anyone think this is a bad idea?

I will have her out again in a couple of days, and do the same again.

I shall try and take pics next time.

Mark
tomc
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by tomc »

Sounds good, Mark.

You have to be "brutal" on such damage. Any "pansy"-ing around just delays the inevitable or makes things worse. So good to hear.

We watched recently someone (with good experience) trying to clean a bit of damage. They were very careful and after removing a scale and treating, declared the work done. We asked "are you sure?" The answer was "yes". The wound just didn't look pristine. Took over with the tweezers and scalpel and dug around. After about 20 seconds, it was apparent there was something else there. A little more prying - and yep, a quarter of a long dead scale embedded underneath the wound site. Hopefully with heat and care that wound won't be visible moving forward.

It's a matter of getting it clean and allowing the koi to heal. They are v good at it in the right conditions.

Tom
wallo69
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by wallo69 »

Tom,

I cant say I feel that 'competent' yet, but I am learning.

No surprise, the lock and seal isnt still onher, so out tomorrow night, for more of the same :twisted:

Mark
wallo69
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by wallo69 »

Not looking good, more fungus on what appears to be a mess.....

Had her out an hour trying to clean out again, and betadine soaked the wounds, trying to beat back the bacteria, and trying my damnedest to dry the lock & seal before returning to the pond, but fearing the worst now.

Out all day tomorrow, so will look again Thursday.

The likelihood of loosing her is now becoming more than evens.....

Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

hi

im going to make a recomendation here it may not go down to well but if this is not going away its because the crevis is not being cleaned out enough therefor my suggestion is a partial amputation what do you think could you do this?

dunc
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

mark

do you want me to work on this for you? not a partial amp but to open it up so it can kinda heal properly?

if so contact me

dunc
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

hi mark
as discussed today you need to open this up and excavate this as indicated this needs to be flattened off so it can heal

then put the fish in PHS and 1oz per gallons salt

if need be splint it as i described to you

if any of this is to daunting for you im happy to help

dunc
Attachments
2d98e2ad.jpg
2d98e2ad.jpg (137.07 KiB) Viewed 1667 times
wallo69
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by wallo69 »

Dunc,

Thanks for the offer, and seriously under consideration, as my evening plans have been postposed so I can review the options.

I have her in a 260gallon vat, not enough for long term, but its 1500x2400x350deep and I am adding salt to raise upto the 1oz per gallon, whilst we review the attached pics;-

Fungus on tail fin ends -
Duncan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Duncan »

mark

three more scales to go and that tail needs trmiing now or that fin rot will progress

if you want my q-system is empty now you could bring it down and at least if i cant win it you wont have the agony i having to do the deed and i have the meds needed anyway

dunc