Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Jon W
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Leaky rubber boots

Post by Jon W »

Hi all

I wonder if anyone has a better solution to the following problem than I have;

It seems that the reducing rubber boots (4" to 2", 4" to 1") have a larger internal diameter than the straight connectors. I've found that when attempting to connect them up that they distort and therefore leak if I try to connect them directly to a 4" pipe. I've tried making a shim from another piece of pipe with an additional piece to cover the additional radius. I then mastic these in place. I've found no matter how carefully I fit and mastic that they always leak.

Has anyone got a better alternative? I did think of using the reducer bushes that are used for ball valves but I don't think they have a thickness that would increase the diameter of the pipe sufficiently.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers

Jon
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Re: Leaky rubber boots

Post by Gazza »

Hi Jon,

Not sure if its of any help but could you not buy the normal pipe reduces and do it or have you not got the room :idea:
Jon W
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Jon W »

Hi Gazza

I'm using rubber boots rather than the normal reducers 'cause I want to minimise the number permanent connections so that I can change the filters around fairly easily as I'm not convinced that this will be the final setup. I assumed the boot diameter of the reducers would be the same as straight connectors but they're not. Also I don't live anywhere near a proper koi outlet and can't really wait for mail order.

Maybe I could try putting a layer of mastic around the rubber boot then tighten it up for a kind of semi permanent seal?

Cheers

Jon
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

In that case it will have to be some kind of sealer and if you have it Gold Label or Den Braven will be the best
Jon W
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Jon W »

Hi Gazza

The problem with my original solution is that the join between the components of the shim are never quite even which means that the amount of pressure exerted by the boot band isn't even so it leaks. Maybe if I use a mastic it will gap fill and create a seamless joint. So it's off to nasty old Maidenhead Aquatics for some Gold Label after work tomorrow.

Cheers

Jon