Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Dave Collins
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

The Cetus sieve

Post by Dave Collins »

Hi,

Anyone tried this yet? I'm thinking of getting one but would like people's thoughts, experiences if possible. It would seem a good solution for removing waste. Is there a down side?

Dave
Jon W
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Re: The Cetus sieve

Post by Jon W »

Hi Dave

I don't know if I'd call it a downside but you may need to use 2 water pumps to incorporate it into your filter system I'm help a mate install a couple at the moment. He has a sieve gravity fed from a bottom drain, which then leads to a series of bio chambers containing K1 and Jap matting. To run it this way you need a pump between the sieve and the first chamber, then another after the last chamber to push the water back through the pond return. The first pump must be more powerful than the pond return pump to ensure the system doesn't run dry. So basically it can make your system more expensive; extra pump to buy and double the electricity costs to run. However, the sieve will remove all but the finest crud from the system and is relatively compact and easy maintenance compared with other mechanical waste systems.

The alternative is to have the sieve above pond height and pump feed, but this can limit your filtration options.

Cheers

Jon
Dave Collins
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Dave Collins »

Thanks Jon,

I agree that the costs are doubled, which is not a good thing, but like you I think maintenance will be easier and therefore the water quaility should improve (crud removed from water).

I have no real choice with filter position, the ponds been in for years. I'm actually thinking of Cetus Sieve (on existing bottom drain) into an Anoxic Filtration system.

rgds

Dave
carlejo
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by carlejo »

how easy are the sieves to clean ?....... do you have to remove whole unit from the filtation system or can you just remove the sieve ?
Andy H
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Andy H »

On the compact sieve you just remove the grid and bash it on the compo heap! don`t even turn the pump off(these are pump fed)
Sometimes I just grab the worst of the crap collected by hand or move it away from the overflow outlet.

Some times I take out the sieve part and give it a good clean on the back as this gets a collection of snails etc.
benyiii
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by benyiii »

Why not have the sieve on a seperate line and so increse turnover rather than having an extra pump to offer nothing. The idea in this day and age just seems absolute madness. Sieves are very easy to clean, and can take a hell of a lot of crap. If your current filter really cant handle it why not put a sieve and something else (shower/bead) on your drain and your current filter in skimmer/ mid feed.

Ben
Dave Collins
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Dave Collins »

Not an option Benyii, concrete pond has been in for years and the filters are at the same height as pond. Two pumps it will have to be.

It sounds like the Ultra III could be a better option than the Cetus though, don't want the 4 inch inlet pipe coming off.

rgds

Dave