Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

dibble
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Fitting Bottom Drain to IBC

Post by dibble »

Hi Guys,

After being inspired by Andy’s pond build I've decided to sort my very crude growing on tank now to get it can get it up and ready in time for the Cuttlebrook autumn harvest.

At the moment i just have a pump fed black box filter setup on a insulated IBC tank , all stuck in my shed. I'd like to cut a 3" bottom drain in and convert a spare water butt i have into a more substantial gravity feed filter.

I know a few of you guys on here have IBC tanks set-up and wondered if anyone has tried this? I don’t think it will be a problem, I'm just concerned it might not be possible to get a proper seal against the rigid plastic of the IBC? Anyone have this working on their set-up?

Thanks
Dex
maxinegrundy

Re: Fitting Bottom Drain to IBC

Post by maxinegrundy »

Hello ...
i have seen a few fitting for ibc's on ebay ..i thought i might have a play at trying to knock something up ..thought this might help somewhere along the lines ...
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UNIVERSAL-FITTING-ADA ... 7C294%3A50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

regards
Max
DidIdothat
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by DidIdothat »

No problem just set the bottom drain off centre, I have about six running currently. sorry I have no photos of the fitting but I slid out the IBC from the crate and cut a hole in the bottom of the crate then did likewise with the IBC. Sealed it with UPDM. Raised the unit off the floor on some bricks and coupled the pipes together.
I did post the project somewher on this forum but I can't find it. I think it was under something like 'A little more water'.

Phil
dibble
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by dibble »

Thanks Guys,

I've ordered a drain and i'll try to give it a go this weekend. I'll try to post some pics if it works out ok.

Cheers
Dex