cetus sieve

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

topcat
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

cetus sieve

Post by topcat »

help! i need some advise on my cetus sieve. the sieve fills up with water ive been in touch with ea who said clean the screen
with a jet wash which ive done but it still fills up any ideas
kayoss
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Re: cetus sieve

Post by kayoss »

Has it always filled up or was it OK to start with?

If it was OK, the screen must have become blocked. Try removing the screen and brushing in between the blades of the screen with a small wire brush - i.e. in line with the blades, not across them. You should be able to see through the screen if you hold it up to the light, but be careful not to damage/distort the blades.

How often do you clean the screen? I know one well known breeder who brushes his screens twice a day to keep them working efficiently.

Cheers
topcat
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by topcat »

hi bob
its always done it .it will cover about 3in from the bottom of the screen and work its way up to near the top by 10 days
i clean it with a jet wash evry wednesday . ive phoned ea again today but the chap who deals with the sieves is off ill for a few weeks but they have told me to take some photos and email them across to them and they will take a look at them they said i may have to drill a hole in the float some where but i said at £500. it cost me im not prepaird to do that
des
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by des »

Having 2 sivies myself, not this type though, does your seive have a float that holds water ?
if so has it got water in it ? (too much)
Does the water coming in to the seive, force itself in a overflow too fast, eg is the top part not moving up
thus causing too much water to be flowing, is it getting stuck, and needs some lubrucation
Is the rubber conecting the inlet to the float fitted correct, as it can force the float down too much,
try adjusting the rubber inlet

Just a few ideas

DES
benyiii
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by benyiii »

Hi topcat

I had the same problem check the topic i have just bumped as Jules adviced me what to do. Dont ask me if it worked as i sold it before i got round to doing it :?

Ben
Jules
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Jules »

Topcat I have 6 of them and must say that they are a lot better than I first thought. Clean the screens with "costic soda" frfom B+Q. It is about £3.50 mix it in a stainless bowl or a glass dish at a ratio of 1 to 1. Paint it on with a paint brush and leave for 10 mins. Wah off with a hose pipe. This strips the Stainless Steel of the protein build up and any gunk that accumulates on the screen. Once washed off the screen will be like brand new. WARNING! WARE EYE PROTECTION AND GOOD SET OF RUBBBER GLOVES. COSTIC SODA WILL BURN YOUR SKIN.

The floats in the bottom of the sieve that lift the weir up and down require 2 x 5mm holes in each side. Just reach your hand down when the screen is out and have a feel for them. The holes allow water to escape from the float. If you need any further advice give me a call.

Jules