Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

jonny bad ass
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

new pond build

Post by jonny bad ass »

hello there,

im getting ready to start to build a pond(will be posting pics) but i need to ask the advise of some wise pond veterans, my questions are as follows.
1) should i fiberglass my pond or render and then g4 it.... keep getting differant answers.
2) should i install a air rated bottom drain as im told they dont last and not worth the hassle.
3) i have purchased a vortex which will be used to remove the fines from the pond (after a nexis 300) should i use jet matting (think that is the name ha ha) with air stones for bacteria and obviously the matting for the fines, been told not really needed.

would appreciate any help so that i may get this build right first time.

yep new member, new pond.

many many thanks

jonny
Thorny
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Re: new pond build

Post by Thorny »

HI Jonny and welcome to Koiquest, I hate to say it but who ever is giving You advise on Your up and coming build needs to be given a wide berth in the future.
Render and fiber glass is the only way to go in My book
Airated bottom drain 100% buy a descent one not a cheap imitation from ebay
Vortex after a Nexus. No point at all, the static K1 inside the nexus is there to catch the fines. Besides You would have trouble running anything behind a nexus, as the correct way to run them to get the best out of them is to gravity fed them and pump back to the pond.
I know they can be pump fed but I am sure anyone who does this will say there finding is not as good as a gravity fed system.
Hope I have been of some help. You are in the right place for good friendly advise.
Justin
double doitsu
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by double doitsu »

the vortex should be the first thing that your drains go into , my vortexs pickup so much crap its unreal this would block your nexus before long, and i agree with thelast person a airated bottom drain is total the roght way to go no pipes in the pond and you can allow what ever amount of air in the pond as you like ,i made the mistake of running a cheap airated bottom drain i was sold with only a 4mm pipe , but be sure when you do fit you bottom drain you run at least a 15 mm pipe to it , i just fitted a spin drifter to my bottom drain and wow what a difference. and if you can afford it fibreglass is by far the way to go just make sure you get someone who has been recumended so you know they put the right amount of sheeting on and leave a nice finish but it is a pricey job, anyway good luck with the build buddy and keep us all posted
Louie
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Louie »

Hiya and welcome,

I definitely agree with what's been said so far. Aerated bottom drain all the way! I actually did get mine off ebay, but it wasn't a cheap one and it's still chucking out the same amount of air as when it was brand new 19 months ago. The top of it is made of a flexible material, and as the air pushes up into it the holes get slightly stretched which means they dont get blocked... because they are not static.
I also went for fibreglass with a top coat of Flo coat. Fairly expensive, but worth every penny. Don't pay any attention to excessive quotes for the work though. Shop around, ask questions and maybe consider doing the job yourself if you have someone sensible to help you and are fairly practical yourself. Do plenty of research on everything! Good Luck! :D

Louie
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Jonny,

Well you have come to the right place as there are many people on here able to help with you questions and welcome to Koi Quest :D

1. Yes render and fiberglass is the way to go or even better how about insulation and then fiberglass to keep the heat in :idea:

2. Yes have an aerated bottom drain and it helps remove the waste from the bottom and get plenty of air into the pond along with water movement so a must in my opinion.

3. The Nexus is a great bit of kit and if you have the Easy type then you don't need anything before or after it and it will do the job very well depending on pond size and fish load.

4. You could use the vortex on a skimmer line or something as two filters is better than one :wink:

So how about some details of the pond and sizes and the pictures so we can see what you up to :D
easylife
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by easylife »

Hi Jonny and welcome,

Well not a lot more advice can be given, but the nexus filters do need regular cleaning,(every 5 days at the moment for me) which as you probably already know are easy to clean, but if planning to go away on holiday you need to stop feeding or have someone compitent to do your cleaning

SO would you benefit from a vortex in front of the nexus, although it is not really needed

I think block built filters are the way to go if you are looking for longer periods between cleaning but the down side is space needed

all the best with the build Alan
jonny bad ass
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by jonny bad ass »

wow!!! really really happy with all the great tips all of you have posted... i will defo be looking at some prices for fiberglassing, must say that after seeing some of the pics im leaning more that way anyway.

ive got a bit of planning and clearing out to do, mabe a couple of weeks or so but i will be definatly posting pictures and dimentions etc very soon.

Also the Airated bottom drain with a 15mm feed "descent" sonund like me, dose any one know where i can buy one??

thanks again

jonny
jonny bad ass
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by jonny bad ass »

found a good site called koi zone which sells airated bottom drains for £140 and quite a lot of other good stuff too
Thorny
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Thorny »

I have fitted many airated drains, and My findings are ****** drains are in My opion the best on the market and a shade cheaper than £140 as well.
Justin
benyiii
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by benyiii »

Hi

I guess your probably looking at the spindrifter aerated. While they are fine (I have one) you can only put 40l itres of air through it as the membranes on them are fairly pathetic. Like thorny has said I get the impression the other one is by far the best on the market allowing up to 200 litres and are a bit cheaper I think. I believe the name has been censored but it begins with Rich.

Ben
Thorny
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Thorny »

Cheers Ben I didnt realize I couldnt put the dealers name up, I thought I would share My findings with people as I bet I have fitted more drains than most. These are the best, no doubt!
Justin
andyb
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by andyb »

As Thorny has eluded

DonRich ( anagram ) drains are the best by far.

Currently building a new pond, well digging a new pond at the moment, 2 new DonRich drains here already.

Kind regards

Andy
Louie
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Louie »

I honestly cannot believe that anyone charges £140 for an aerated bottom drain! I'm absolutely gobsmacked! :shock: :shock:

I think I paid about £45 for mine off flea bay, and it's pretty decent. There's no way I'd risk putting 200l through it, but I run 60l 24/7 and have never had a problem.

Honestly...... I'm still in shock. But then I also was when I saw the price of a bag of Hikari Gold recently! :wink:

Louie
Louie
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Louie »

Ah ha! Just found it! This is the one I bought! It has a rrp of £120 according to the ad and is up for £55. If you want to save some pennies then I'd recommend it quite happily! :D :D

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BOTTOM-DRAIN-AND-AIRA ... 7C294%3A50" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Louie
jonny bad ass
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by jonny bad ass »

Again thanks a lot for all the wicked advise, got plenty of stuff to be getting on with....

ill be clearing the garden the weekend and taking some photos with dimensions + ideas

many many thanks

jonny