Conventional or bead filters

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

canveykoi
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Conventional or bead filters

Post by canveykoi »

hi i am thinking of changing my conventional filters ( jap matting and brushes) for an aquadyne 4.4 to save time in maintainance , filling up time , and all the hard work involved (not getting and younger)i have 8000 gallons inc filters (which hold about 1200 gallons exc vortex.) i keep getting conflicting advice from reputable koi dealers one slating bead filters and another recommending them... any advice please
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Re: Conventional or bead filters

Post by Gazza »

Hi,

Depending where you go you will here differing advice as its just what some like or prefer to others.

i think the best thing to do is go round and find out all the alternatives and then find out how easy they are to maintained and clean and also what size pumps and equipment you need to run them as some filters can need powerfully pumps :idea:

Once you have found out then try and see if you can actually find someone with the set up you like and go and see it in action :wink:
Louie
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Louie »

Hi Canvey,

I use an Elecro PB85 bead filter on my 2400 gallon pond in conjunction with an Easy Pod and have found the results perfect. I am in effect overfiltering to quite an extent and as a result I don't have to worry about overfeeding or high nitrite or ammonia readings. (Not so far, anyway!)
If you can filter out as much of the solids as possible before getting to the bead filter (vortex, sieve or static K1?) then you'll cut down on the frequency of backwashes and let the filter get on with it's job. I backwash mine twice a week and it's a fairly quick and simple job. The other great advantage is that the bead filters have a much smaller footprint than multi chamber filters or the larger Nexus filters. And as far as I'm aware, they don't get any better than Aquadyne. Just be sure to put in a sight glass on the drainage line so that you can check the colour of the water when backwashing.
Like Gazza says, other people will have different opinions, but my bead filter takes up very little room, is low maintenance and does everything I need it to do. I wouldn't go down any other route. :D :D

Louie
KOIBOY-greggharris
Manta Ray
Manta Ray

Post by KOIBOY-greggharris »

Ok as other have said the best is to see a bead filter in action - preferably the onbe you want to buy
see their pond ask questions lots of them, see how to clean / back flush a bead filter, ask what pump you need etc etc

Dealers will always give you diffrent answers - what they stoick what they sell, as we all know some are better that others
but at the end of the day it is your money and your pond so go vist a pond with the fileter you want
a dealer who sells them should point you in the right direction.

If you get stuck send me a pm - I run a 6600 gal pond with a Aquadyne I will show you how it operates good bits bad bits etc
then you make up your own mind - live near Bluewater shopping center in kent

Hope this helps

DES
sharpey999
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by sharpey999 »

Hi all - Ken

I am in the same predicament but have disconnected my filter and set up a temporary shower with half the 3800 gallons missing from the pond.

I would love to visit a pond running on the aquadyne and live in hempstead kent, Any offers would be very much appreciated :)

My business number is always on so please text or call if you can help thanks guys

Craig - 07983430825
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

As Gazza has indicated, most large bead filters need to have powerful pumps. I was at a pond yesterday with a 2.2 Aquadyne and the pump was rated at 580 watts. You may get away with a pump of this size for a 4.4, but if not you are looking at a very heaving electricity bill for many years and with utility prices set to continue to rise. So if you have a big fat wallet and dont mind the heavy electricity bills, you will probably get on OK with an Aquadyne.

To cut down on maintenance, just install sieves and showers. Easy to maintain and cheaper than an Aquadyne to run
benyiii
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by benyiii »

I would really think about the actual cost before going down the route of one of the conventional beads. I think all would agree they work very well and are easy to clean, and take up less space. But as Bob says its the cost. So if money no object then great.

Just to tell you my experience i was running one bead with a cost of 600W. I converted the bead to run on a low wattage pump, and added a large shower with two 20000 pumps over it. I now run on the same 600W with about 2.5-3 times the turnover much better water quality and similar clarity.

So I would also consider looking if definately wanting a bead at one of the low wattage pump ones. As i say they equal the standard in every way, except when feeding VERY heavily slightly worse clarity (same water quality). And then add more filtration for your watts.
And for me a bead has to have a sieve in front.

best, Ben