covert CL3 to accept K1

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

johnsage01
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

covert CL3 to accept K1

Post by johnsage01 »

HI, I would like to covert my CL3 to hold K1, but i have been advised that the K1 will continually overflow into the next chambers due to the fact that they are only seperated by weirs. Has anyone converted a CL filter to accept K1, if so how? ........

many thanks
john
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: covert CL3 to accept K1

Post by Bob Hart »

John,

Justin (Thorny) has just done this with one of these cloverleaf filters and I was discussing it with him not 30-minutes ago. I asked him to take some pictures, so we'll have to hope he's done that and if so we can put them up for you to see.
Andy H
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Andy H »

Hi John, I converted a CL2, not the best way being horizontal pipes but works and was easiest way with what I had.

http://www.koiquest.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8062" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hopefully a better conversion will appear soon :D
Mr_Tiff
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Mr_Tiff »

Was reading Through this old thread, wondered if anyone had got anywhere with this??
Spalders
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Spalders »

Hi, yes I did this on my old pond.
From memory the set up was as follows for a pump fed system: -

Pump to UVC to Cloverleaf PSS2 with K3 as static media to CL3, bay 1 was brushes, to bays 2 and 3 jap mat to bay 4 Moving K1 media. I used a grid between bays 3 and 4 to stop the K1 flowing back; however the grid was a bit of a pain so in the end I just wedged some jap mat up against the weir and this worked really well.

There was also a grid at the base of bay 4 to stop the K1 going up the return pipe back the pond, this grid was positioned at the point in the bay where it narrows about 2/3rds of the way down.

The whole thing worked well, no probs with parameters. Cleaning was a pain though and used lots of water. I changed the waste from the CL3 to allow each bay to drain separately as otherwise I could not seem to get all the waste out.

Now have new improved pond with gravity fed Nexus 310 but that's another story.

Dom.