Nexus advice please

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

TicToc
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Nexus advice please

Post by TicToc »

Please can Nexus owners advice what clearance they need above the Nexus for cleaning and general maintenance :?:

My pond build is to ground level/water level, with 2 x Nexus adjacent to pond in a cellar area. I will be building a concrete floor above the position of both these Nexus and would like some practical advice of how much clearance owners use, as I need to calculate for access to the top of these before casting and pouring the concrete.

I'm currently working on two feet clear access above the Nexus to the concrete ceiling. Is this too much or too little? :roll: I would prefer less but if I get wrong...... :lol:

Also interested to know if Questers have fitted electrical consumer boxes within the pump rooms. How many MCB's(trip fuses) did you plan for and what ampage were the MCB's etc.

Many thanks,
TicToc
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Re: Nexus advice please

Post by Gazza »

Hi Tic Toc,

I am not sure about the Nexus but i would say you need enough room to be able to clean it and be able to look inside in case you need to remove anything......like a phone if its in your pocket when leaning over :shock: :wink:

The consumer unit should be OK most of them are plastic now and splash proof and its not as if its going to get soaking wet........hopfully.I have mine in the shed where all the equipment is including the QT tank so like now when its at 23c and its cold although its all well insulated you get a fair bit of condensation but i have had no problems with any electrics....up to now anyway :D
TicToc
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by TicToc »

Thanks Gazza :wink: Note the condensation issue, good advice from hands on experience. :idea: I will now adapt my plan and add in an auto-condensation extractor.

Best
Tickers
Capt Nemo
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Capt Nemo »

Hi,

Ok you don't say if they are 200's or 300's

You'd want to leave enough room to be able to insert and remove the plunger for cleaning. (so the full lenght of that pipe)

Also give yourself enough room to be able to get above the nexus (yourself) to get to the outer air ring ..... give it a year of running and them air holes will block up (for sure), your have to remove the ring and enlarge the holes when they do block.
Hardest bit without enough room will be pushing the the air ring back into the clips after.

One other problem I've come across with the nexus was the jubliee clip that holds the eazy to the middle of the unit, it came lose :twisted: only way to fix it back into place was removing the eazy unit. That would be an impossible job if you have a concrete floor in the way.....perhaps worth thinking about that as well mate.

regards
Jules
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Jules »

You need a lid that is either on hinges or removable. You also need to have the abilty to remove the filters at any time due to any manafacturers defects, however I will test the units for you before you put them in. As long as you have enough height above final water level (bear in mind th ewater gets agitated by the air in the outer and inner chambers you do not want too little clearence that the K1 overflowes from inner to outer (and vice versa) chamber) is correct all should run well. I will sort out the other Nexus this week for you also.

Happy days.....?

Jules :mrgreen:
netsukekoi
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by netsukekoi »

Am with Capt. Nemo on this one - if you don't have room to insert the centre pipe easily and to remove the Eazy without moving the Nexus, sooner of later you will regret it. Are you building the concrete roof or fitting it into an exisiting void? If you have the option, I'd go for something removable.

As regards Consumer Units, if you use a household one I think you are taking a risk. My Nexus etc are in a similar, beside pond, below ground cellar (although I prefer to call it 'The Main Filter Suite') and my electrician used a special, splashproof one (IP64 or 65, can't remember) and even then, had to come back and change a few things and mastic all the top edges to the wall - as however much you intend for it to stay dry, one day the cover will be open or the rain so heavy that it ends up running down the wall - so you have to ensure that you have protected against it.

Martin
TicToc
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by TicToc »

Martin - We must of posted at the same time this morning and mine deleted, no probs a re-write is in order you’re advice is more worthwhile. :D Thanks for advice on the "Main Filter Suite" without doubt an apt name. Mine has no name as such; it’s just 'the big 8 foot hole' at present. When mentioning ‘the hole’, I wince with an automatic reaction of feeling for my empty wallet. The ‘MFS’ could grow on me. I'll practise rolling it off my tongue this next week and drop it into conversation when the Wife tut, tut, tuts me looking through the window at what once, reassembled a back garden.

From your experience, I will take note of the mastic around MCB box and will use 20-30mm ceramic washers to keep the unit well off the wall and run cables in with water proof caps with this safetly feature in mind. Thanks.

Capt Nemo – Much appreciated, both yours and Jules posts are reinstating my concerns and a Plan B will be needed. Mea culpa for not mentioning sooner there are 2 x Nexus 300. Therefore the concrete cast ceiling above the Nexus which is also to be the floor area at ground level - where we aim to sit, now needs to be re-thought out.
A different floor material, concrete/ wood/ plastic or metal, allowing access directly from above will need to be devised. Ideally, I need locate two similar sized lids or possibly a fraction smaller - possibly out of plastic with sufficient strength to form part of a floor, light enough to lift and yet waterproof. The only alternative would be to have both Nexus on some form of hydraulic jack in the cellar area where they can be easily dropped for access, firstly disengaging all pipe work first for proper inspection. I think the principle of keeping it simple is devoid with this idea so its back to what material to use for the floor /celing if you follow what I mean?

Jules (JPG) & Matt (GRP lining) – Really looking forward to you guys becoming involved. The project desparately needs some pros involved when the weather improves.

All advice welcome please.

TicToc
netsukekoi
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by netsukekoi »

There is a reason why so many people have decking covers over their MFS.....

It is easy to work with, looks OK (as long as you don't over do it) and can be hinged or lifted on the odd occasion you need the access.

:D
TicToc
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by TicToc »

Thanks Netsukeoi,

Readily accept those positive decking comments. Will have to research the design further as it needs to be waterproof and insulated.

Regards,
TicToc
Jules
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Jules »

You can use access covers to get at the centre pipe but if you get a blockage on the outlet of the centre chamber you will have to remove the Eazy to get to the source of the blockage, all be it leaves or bio chips. You could always use a combination of steel access covers which will look pants and spoil your MFS (Oh how that rolls of the tounge nicely :mrgreen: ) so decking would be the way to go, or a combination. Need to get a new day to crack on. Will call you later.

Jules
TicToc
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by TicToc »

Thanks Jules....mfs...mfs....mfs....pants? :D

After a bit of research I have found the ideal decking solution. No idea of cost yet, fingers crossed :roll: but this should do the job nicely.

http://www.duracomposites.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;