Pond lighting - Is it a science?

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

TicToc
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Pond lighting - Is it a science?

Post by TicToc »

Can any of you multi-talented Koi Questers out there :lol: offer any advice re. lighting for the pond? I am toying with the idea of adding some light to the pond but I am not entirely convinced if would be worthwhile. Not sure about design, style or cost.

Has anyone of you budding Questers built any type of lighting into the pond floor or the side walls before the water was poured. Was this a DIY job and, if so was it a success or a disaster. What was the wattage /ampage, are you happy with the finished product.

What about you professional pond builders and fibreglass chaps out there, is this on the increase? Is it a nightmare to deal with or very simple to work around?

They say lighting nowadays has become a science. I know the prices of some lighting (Led/fibre optics)reflect this train of thought and wonder if there are any ingenious ideas out there that hasn't cost an arm and leg to install.

Has anyone ever used LEDs or fibre optics? :shock:

I know lighting cropped up as a thread a good 12 and 18 months ago so it does need a bit of a dusting down.

All posting and ideas very welcome as I need to make a decision on this shortly :?:

Regards
TicToc
dho
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Re: Pond lighting - Is it a science?

Post by dho »

Hi Max,

Nothing of real value to add I am afraid. I think lights can look very interesting depending on your pond design. No real thought on how to do it though as it was something I have never really considered. I have seen IP67 LED lights on sale but I was looking at installing it in the decking so never really look into their suitability in underwater situations. As a thought I think they might be more pain than they are worth, as you will have to make sure that you don't have a leak anywhere. There must be some consideration to cleaning the light as algae grows on everything in the pond, how would you change the bulb/LED if it is ever necessary. That is just me with my practical head on. On the other hand in terms of visual impact I am sure it can be most stunning. I think it all depends on how much effort it takes.

BTW where the hell are the piccies.

David.
Jules
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Jules »

Give me a call

Jules
TicToc
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by TicToc »

DHO - Thks M8 :D

Broadsword calling Dannyboy, the eagles has landed! :wink: Blimey Jules you've gone all secret squirrel.

TicToc
longboardpete
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by longboardpete »

Hiya
The following table may be of some help as to what rating you would require. I have seen a few ponds lit and they have looked stunning, some immersed, some above, what i would say is the water needs to be crystal clear to get the best out of it, if you have any particles floating about i would leave well alone.

cheers, Pete

IP Ratings Table:

Protection Against Solid Objects & Dust Protection Against Fluids
First Number Description / Test Second Number Description / Test
0 No Protection 0 No Protection
1 Protection against solid objects over 50mm, e.g. accidental touch by hands. 1 Protected against vertically falling drops of water.
2 Protected against solid objects over 12mm, e.g. fingers. 2 Protected against direct sprays of water up to 15 degrees from the vertical.
3 Protected against solid objects over 2.5mm (tools / wires). 3 Protected against sprays to 60 degrees from the vertical.
4 Protected against solid objects over 1mm (tools / wires / small wires). 4 Protected against water sprayed from all directions - limited ingress permitted.
5 Protected against dust - limited ingress (no harmful deposit). 5 Protected against low pressure jets of water from all direction - limited ingress permitted.
6 Totally protected against dust. 6 Protected against strong jets of water, e.g. for use on ship decks - limited ingress permitted.
7 Protected against the effects of immersion between 15cm and 1m.
8 Protected against long periods of immersion under pressure.
TicToc
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by TicToc »

Thanks Pete and a very very good point re. water quality.

Find it hard to believe so few have considered this :roll: or are you all Xmas shopping :?

TicToc
Jules
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Jules »

Tickers you need a bead system on your skimmer to "mop up" what your other systems will not do.

Jules
TicToc
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by TicToc »

Thanks Jules, will call to discuss. BTW where do you plug the light into the bead system? :mrgreen:

TicTic
Matthew
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Matthew »

I've seen plenty of ponds with lights built in underwater. You know like very large 15" diameter swimming pool lights.

Having seen a couple of these full of water and fish I wasn't very impressed with the look.

Lighting above the pool to highlight a particular feature without the light source itself being a detractor to the eye is more appealing.

Also saw one with about 60 bright neon blue LED;s that I had to glass round. The gassing was easy but the picture the guy sent me months later from the upper floor of his house gave me the impression a spaceship had landed in his garden!

Each to his own though.

If you do go with underwater lights and don't like them them can always be turned off permanantly. Just make sure they are rated for underwater use at whatever depth you set them. Will send you a video link by pm of a colossal pond with lights in.

Matt
TicToc
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by TicToc »

Thanks Matt,

Lighting certainly seems to be a personal choice and some people may have misunderstood the rule of subtlety. The UFO concept sounds surreal and not my cup of tea. As you say each to their own. Beam me up Scottie :shock:

I've sent you a PM re. lighting as I’m pondering with the idea of putting in two small brick sized windows into the side walls of the pond. Just a couple of feet down and easily reachable. I would leave an allowance for access from outside the pond wall to reach down to these small window areas and then upgrade 'normal' exterior lights as and when it takes my fancy. :D

Although this sounds simple can you advise if this indeed is the case or can anyone see problems along the way?

Festive greetings
TicToc
vippymini
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by vippymini »

have a lok round this site to give you some interesting ideas. :shock: :shock:
http://www.trinorthlighting.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
TicToc
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by TicToc »

:idea: Thanks Vippymini :shock: Your not kidding! Blimey UFO city.

Cheers
TicToc
Jules
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Jules »

This is the guy I use Tickers http://www.vivacelighting.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I will bring you round some examples and "fire for effect" to show you what you can achieve.

Jules
TicToc
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by TicToc »

Jules,

Thanks for lighting link, no doubt see you soon. "Fire for effect"..... Look through cover not around it....Take aim and shoot :shock: All these military terms in our days.

That reminds me, has anything special arrived for Christmas yet? :D Do we have a mini Jules or Juliet :?:

Best
TT
Jules
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Jules »

I have some wicked pictures and a dvd. Wooo hooo what a Christmas present :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jules
rx'ing one in Green :mrgreen: