The weather!! a newbie worries,will they die????

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

silverghost
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

The weather!! a newbie worries,will they die????

Post by silverghost »

:shock: Sorry to be a nuisance as you are all probably experts at this,but I was shocked to find my above ground pond was only 4 degrees this morning,especially after all the padding I put on it. I put thick Bubblewrap floating,and left a good strip open,at night I pull a large blue tarpaulin over the whole lot resting this on wooden slats. I also have a smaller but deepish pond buried in the ground but totally uncovered and that was the same temperature as the bigger pool.There are no fish at the moment in the little pond.Today not one of the fish came to say "Hello :) " as they usually do.Are they still alive?? :cry: :cry: :cry: I have turned the filter off today in case it cooled the water more.Have I killed them all,it gets worse as I write. :cry: :cry: :cry:
gingeletiss
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Re: The weather!! a newbie worries,will they die????

Post by gingeletiss »

'Have you killed them'....................No. they will survive in lower tempertures than that. If you ice over, then I advise you keep one part of the pond free of ice/broken ice. I wouldn't worry to much.
vippymini
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by vippymini »

at lower temps the fish will rest on the bottom and not be very active at all. as the day warms up (if it does) the fish will swim around a little but probably not feed.

personally i would not turn the filter off, it wont chill an unheated pond to any great degree. it will just create a volume of stagnant water.
GERRY5
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by GERRY5 »

silverghost , welcome to koi quest ...as said turn the filter back on .....and your not a nuisance ...we are all on a learning curve all the time ,,,this is what this forum is about helping like minded folk , if you have questions or any worries dont hesitate to ask ...someone will know and help out... :wink: :wink: :wink:
mio

Post by mio »

Hi S and Welcome :D

Do Please keep that Filter going as the guys have suggested ..
My Pond is at 4C too and the Fish are all fine :D
silverghost
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by silverghost »

:) Thanks for the assurances to all,I am so new to all of this.My husband built me these ponds and I am having another one in the Spring.Being a 100% animal lover,I cannot bear to think that I have let my new fish pals down.This morning there was a thickish layer of ice on the small "fishless" pond but no ice at all on the covered pond with the Koi so perhaps my bubble wrap is working.I tested this morning for nitrite and ammonia and came up negative,AND I have swithced the filter back on as you suggested.Then as I was doing a bit of gardening I happened to turn and look at the pond and one of the Ghosts popped up just to say hello,but quickly went back under the covers.
I understand that the silver ghosts and the butterfly ghosts are not recognised as Koi,but I love them,mongrels or not.I do have some small Koi,one has a red spot on his head,but I prefer the metallic fish.I just hope I can bring them safely through the Winter.Can you suggest what in the best vacuum to buy in the Spring,I was looking at Oase 3.
Thankyou for the help,I don't feeel so alone now,I just have books to guide me, and hopefully common sense.Lovely forum by the way.
flatpack
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by flatpack »

hi there i am new to all this aswell but if you post it some will no the answer
mio

Post by mio »

Hi S .. :D
Try not to Panic we`re all here to help :D

On the Subject of Books :D One in Particular Stands out if you don`t already have this - We swear by it here ..

:arrow: http://www.koiquest.co.uk/koihealthbook.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The "Red Spot" Koi Babe will be a Tancho something :roll: you would need to be more specific :?:

I have a Silver Ghost myself who is a real Character ..

Oase sounds good for the Vac :D
flatpack
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by flatpack »

yes great book all you need to no about treating your babys
had my copy about 3 weeks
GERRY5
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by GERRY5 »

yep the oase 3 is a good unit ...have a 2 ourselves which gives no probs at all ........the book is a must , then a scope and your armed and ready for most things ........oh and silver ....we like piccys lots of piccys :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
flatpack
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by flatpack »

still looking for scope may be father christmas :lol: :lol:
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

There you go see its easy with Koi Quest and never to much welcome to Koi Quest and don't be worried about asking a question as there is always someone there asking and we all learn from each question :D

I have not seen you ponds but if you going to build another one perhaps try to make it as big as you possibly can as once the fish start growing you will know why and it may be more cost effective in having one larger pond than three smaller ones :idea:
silverghost
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by silverghost »

Thanks Gazza, Our pond constructor was 65 yesterday :lol: :lol: so I had better not kill him off just yet,not until I am satisfied on the ponds front that is :lol: :lol:
Seriouly though our garden is an old walled one,so the flower beds are more or less set with stone paths all over the place.One pond and raised waterfall has taken a lawn away (about 1200 gallons) :roll: thank goodness, anyone want to buy a Flymo?? :lol: .The 2nd one ("a fibreglass ready made" for the pretty Shubunkins and an Orfe) has taken over a raised flower bed..Now the 3rd one!!! well the sloping flower bed the dogs are constantly taking short cuts over and trampling my bulbs down is set for the hat trick,and that will take some Koi also...I will take photos later on,as the larger pond is covered over now with thick Bubble wrap...It would have been nice to have had one very large pond, but you know I like it like it is,I am careful about the siting as we have a lot of trees also. Can't wait for the Spring,I just hope the little ones survive this cold.. :(
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

They will survive try not to panic to much :wink:
silverghost
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by silverghost »

Thanks Gazza,this is my 1 st Winter with Koi,I had a look this morning and some of them came cruising from under the bubble wrap to say hello,looking remarkably well,then they cruised back under.The bubble is defintely kicking in now and the difference in the temp between ponds is staying +3 on the Bubble pond.
All the heavy building stuff came this morning for the new Koi pond, the OAP constructor said he would rather be working than sitting in this weather -- I cannot agree on that score :roll: :roll: I have to decide on the Butyl liner now.I thought there was only one type when we built the other Koi pond,but it seems there are different qualities.
Can anyone recommend a filter for a raised pond, 50 inches deep and about 1200 -1400 gallons.There will be place behind the top end to bury the filter if necessary.I tend to buy the smaller fish and grown them on,also I use a lot of floating plants.I saw a 10,000 Fishmate filter yesterday for sale in a local water/garden centre at £99,reduced from £225....that was a pressurised one.Also what sort of skimmer do I need/if I need? as there will be no bottom drain.The pond I already have the Koi in has an Oasis filter and that pond has a large waterfall,whereas the new pond will only have small fountain type + airstones.
Sorry to be asking so many questions,you all seem so knowledgeable.I do appreciate your time.
Thankyou.