Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

dave k
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

filters and bottom drians

Post by dave k »

Hi all
Just a couple of questions.
what gap is best to leave on the bottom drain .
and also planning to use a nexus 300 directly on on drain, so what would you recomend to put on the skimmer and which way would you return the water from the skimmer.
cheers
Dave
Carl
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Re: filters and bottom drians

Post by Carl »

Hi Dave,
I think most people have a gap between 1 and 2 inches on the drain cover the bigger the gap the more water it will pull through.

I have been thinking on the lines of a Nexus just as a Biological filter due to the countless hours ive spent talking to people on the subject of Nexus's and who are all of the same opinion that they are good for that side of filteration and have all recommend the Nexus should have either a Vortex or Sieve in front and work far better that way or/and a Bead filter behind as the Nexus just as a single filteration system working as a mechanical and biological system is debatable, but that depends on size of pond and stock level and the load on the Nexus to how good they perform. This is just opinions i have been given.

C
BUMBLE
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Re: filters and bottom drians

Post by BUMBLE »

Hi Dave,

30 to 40mm will be fine for the drain.

I would place a sieve & bead filter on the skimmer line. Regarding the make the choice is yours! size will depend on the gallonage of your pond.

Mart.