Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

BUMBLE
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Bead filters.

Post by BUMBLE »

Hi,

I'm interested in getting a bead filter either to run off a bottom drain or a skimmer depending on my final plans. (After a sieve)

I know the Aquadyne is an great piece of kit giving excellent clarity but the negative being it requires a high pressure pump to run it.

Just wondered what your experiences are with other bead filters is there one that provides similar levels of clarity/polishing but without the need for such a high wattage pump?

Thanks....Mart.
rappy
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Re: Bead filters.

Post by rappy »

I have the aquadyne 2.2b and couldnt be happier :D .You will find with any bead filter,you will need a high power pump simply to force the water through the beads.I wouldnt bother with a sieve,as this will slow the flow rate down a lot.just go for a vortex to catch all the big stuff,so it stops the aquadyne clogging up so quickly
BUMBLE
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by BUMBLE »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

What pump do you run for your bead.

How often do you have to put the cleaning cycle on?

Mart.
rappy
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by rappy »

Hi Mart,i have the aquamax 10 which pumps 3850 gallons per hour,i think.They recommended a aquamax 5 when i brought the system but decided to go bigger,just so it would turn the pond over nearly once every hour.The other reason being because im running a skimmer and i know the UV reduces the flow rate as well.
I bubble the aquadyne once a week but it can be left once a fortnight.I just try and keep the cleaning etc as regular as possible,even doing it on the same day each week.
What you want to consider when choosing a pump is allow for any upgrades,like say a heater,as they will reduce the flow rate as well.I never intended having a heater cause of the cost,but im now considering as ive had a few problems this year :x :( .Lucky i went for the bigger pump as it will still be adequate if i decide to add the heater :)
Any problems or info,just let me know

Stephen
BUMBLE
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by BUMBLE »

Hi Stephen.

Thanks for the info its much appreciated.

Kind regards...Martin.
Jules
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Jules »

Hi Martin.

I run 2 x Aquadyne 8.8's and 1 x 4.4 All these are fed through 6 sieves, 2 sieves for each system and the maintenance is once every 6 weeks. When I backwash the bead I do it twice for about 20 mins each time to get a thorugh clean.
Rappy is correct about the pump scenario you need something with some balls t constantly force the water through the beads and waste. As the waste builds up the gaps for wter to get through become smaller so more pressure is created to still maintian a good flow.
There are other beads on the market but none that ofer a life time guarantee, maybe a marketing pitch but certainly a market leader and I can not fault them. Price wise a tad expensive but like all things koi you get what you pay for in this hobby.

Jules
BUMBLE
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by BUMBLE »

Hi Jules,

What sieves are you using?

Is there one you would recommend.....

Mart.
benyiii
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by benyiii »

Hi

Sorry to hijak this post, just i have never heard that sieves reduce flow. Is this definately the case and if so why do they do this???

Thanks

Ben
Thorny
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Thorny »

I would 100% recomend a sieve before a sieve if pulling water from a bottom drain.
I have to say I think someeone may of been mis informed re sieve reducing flow. I think they are a great bit of kit. Fitted a few of these on pond builds in the past. If the customer wants a bead then I fit a sieve mandatory. I just dont think a vortex can hold a candle to one. Beads and sieve are a great bit filtration giving gin clear water with a very limited amount of space needed. As with everything there is a down side. You do need a pump with plenty of grunt. I would not recomend using an aquamax or other low wattage pumps, they just cant handle the back pressure,or have enough guts needed to back wash the beads. Speck pumps are perfect for the job.
Justin
rappy
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by rappy »

Thorny wrote:I would 100% recomend a sieve before a sieve if pulling water from a bottom drain.
I have to say I think someeone may of been mis informed re sieve reducing flow. I think they are a great bit of kit. Fitted a few of these on pond builds in the past. If the customer wants a bead then I fit a sieve mandatory. I just dont think a vortex can hold a candle to one. Beads and sieve are a great bit filtration giving gin clear water with a very limited amount of space needed. As with everything there is a down side. You do need a pump with plenty of grunt. I would not recomend using an aquamax or other low wattage pumps, they just cant handle the back pressure,or have enough guts needed to back wash the beads. Speck pumps are perfect for the job.
Justin
You must be talking about a different aquamax pump,as mine is 680 watts i think may even be 750 watts,i wouldnt call that low wattage :roll: Its the one which has a pump basket,top loader for skimmers and the main inlet from the vortex,Same design as the Badu pumps.Ever since i put the system in with a vortex the water has been gin clear :D .The pump also backwashers the Aquadyna with no problems.All this was done by the Drew the main Aquadyna man so i know i have the correct set-up,as he has sole import rights for the Aquqdyna.
e4sby
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by e4sby »

I've just had one fitted to my pond and i was wondering if they took long to mature. At present my 4500 gallon pond is heated to 15degrees, obviously i can't afford to keep it at that during the winter.
benyiii
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by benyiii »

I think im right in saying that both beads and k1 filters take slighly longer to mature than standard filter due to the media rubbing against each other. I personally installed one last year in mid winter at 12degrees and had quite of lot of trouble maturing it i believe it took about 12weeks at that temperatue. Hope thats of some help

Ben
e4sby
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by e4sby »

Thanks for giving me some idea on how long it will take.

Also got an Easy Pod on the skimmer line so that'll be just as bad. The price we pay for an easy way to clean the filters!
dannyboy
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by dannyboy »

rappy wrote:
Thorny wrote:I would 100% recomend a sieve before a sieve if pulling water from a bottom drain.
Justin
You must be talking about a different aquamax pump,as mine is 680 watts i think may even be 750 watts,i wouldnt call that low wattage :roll: Its the one which has a pump basket,top loader for skimmers and the main inlet from the vortex,Same design as the Badu pumps.Ever since i put the system in with a vortex the water has been gin clear :D .The pump also backwashers the Aquadyna with no problems.All this was done by the Drew the main Aquadyna man so i know i have the correct set-up,as he has sole import rights for the Aquqdyna.
Rappy,
You have got a Aquamaxi 10 by the sound of things , these pumps are made by Speck Badu, they are the same as the Badu top range, just a little down on build quality. and yes they are a pressure pump .
I think these pumps are about 700 ish watts :lol: pretty much the same as the top 12.
The price of clarity is watts i reckon :roll: :roll:
Thorny
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Thorny »

Cheers Dan You beat Me to it,
I am sure Dan will second Me that You have to have a sieve in front of Your bead to get the best out of it. As I know this is how You have Yours set up. I challange anyone to find a pond clearer than His. It makes tap water look murky :lol:
Justin