Advice please replacement for BADU TOP 14

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Adrian
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Advice please replacement for BADU TOP 14

Post by Adrian »

Hi, My existing Badu top 14 is getting very noisey so I guess it is slowly dieing! I need to replace it and need ideas as to what there is suitable. It needs to feed an Aquadyne 4.4 via 2" pipe leading from two votrexes ( pipe tees into one). One 2" return form the aquadyne via UV. Only a max of one metre head from Aquadyne to pond. Need flow rate of 5500 gals per hour. The badu is expensive to run are there any better pumps on offer?

Thanks Adrian
vippymini
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Re: Advice please replacement for BADU TOP 14

Post by vippymini »

i'm a tad confused now. you say you need a 5500 gal/hr flow rate. the top 14 pump only has a flow rate at zero head of 3900 gal/hr.
see
this link:- http://www.koicarp.net/pumps/speck_pumps/speck_pumps.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

have you a budget for the new pump?
the more energy efficient the pump the more it seems to cost when you buy it. (swings and rounderbouts)
the Aquadyne 4.4 needs a flow rate when running of 1500-5000 gal/hr and needs a minimum flow rate of 3200 gal/hr for backwashing, so your top 14 at the moment is just about the flow you can use.

you will need a pump that can handle some back pressure so most of the low wattage pumps are not going to be of any use, you now have to look at some of the expensive ones.

koimod has a red devil pump for sale i think.
see:- http://www.koiquest.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.p ... 507#p80507" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Adrian
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Adrian »

Thanks. I will go and have a look at my flow rate and get back to you. Perhaps I misread it and should have said 3500 gals per hour! The pond is 10,000 gals so I am stil guessing but that would be about the right turn over... I think!!
Adrian
dannyboy
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by dannyboy »

Adrian,

I would stick to the Badu top 14 as this pump is just perfect for a 4.4.
I have a 4.4 and a while back had a funny 5 minutes and tried changing the badu for low wattage pumps but all that i got was murky water and am now back with the badu as this filter only seems to like pressure pumps :roll: :roll:

The price you pay for clarity i guess :lol: :lol:

A top 14 is also rated at 3900 gph at a 4meter head, so you should get a few more gph if your head pressure is only a meter + pipe friction,

Great pumps in my eyes , just a little juicy :shock: :shock:
Adrian
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Adrian »

Thanks Dan,
looks like another Badu then! I have already spoken to Koi Waterlife centre about the fact that my existing pump is only 4 years old and they have asgreed to look at it for me. Fingers crossed I wont need to buy a new one!!!
Adrian