Nexus

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Michaelb
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Nexus

Post by Michaelb »

Thinking of changing my Filtration this year and was thinking along the lines of two nexus 300's and two Bakki Showers for my 9000 Gallon pond.I am always a little suspicious of slick marketing so was wondering if people on here would give their opinions or share their experiences they have of the Nexus 300 or Bakki showers.

Mike
GERRY5
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Re: Nexus

Post by GERRY5 »

hi mike, probably the two best forms of filtration you can get , certainly the most modern with the nexus .....my only concern is the gallonage you have concerning two nexus 300s...without the showers i think they may struggle , the showers should be prefiltered and bhm would be the choice of most as a shower media , also the bakki running in winter will certainly cool the water , so would they be insulated, :?: :?: or indeed turned off .........if you could run three nexus and one bakki might be a better option overall ..but its all costly stuff .....but as for slick marketing... those that use nexus or the home diy versions of fluidised and static k1 i bet wouldnt change ...others i am sure will chip in on this one :wink: :wink:
Michaelb
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Michaelb »

Thanks Gerry,

The Nexus blurb claims they are capable of 7500 gallons each, So I thought two of them with the Bakki Showers working mainly during the summer months would have been enough,or more accurate to say I was hoping it would be.
I am currently using fluidised K1in two vortexes along with two Vortexes containing Jap Mat, and there lies my concerns,although I have used K1 since it came on the market, I am not entirely convinced that it can maintain the bio film on hard plastic anymore than the plastic hair rollers I used when I first came into the hobby.Whereas I don't doubt the ability of the Authentic showers and media I am not sure I can afford to run four showers all year round,so looking for a compromise.
That said, being old school so to speak, I am not sure I could make the leap of faith either and the Nexus strikes me as being to good to be true ,or is it me being a Cynic ?

Mike.
Davej
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by Davej »

Hi Michael.

I love my Nexus but there are some that swear by Aquadines.

I am also a recent Bakki convert!!

Does depend on the depth of your pockets, not only for the capital outlay but the running costs, need to work out a configuration whereby you can dump 3000gph min over each shower.

Are you looking at running the showers in the summer only?

Regards

Dave
Michaelb
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Michaelb »

Hi Dave,

I was thinking along the lines of running showers in the summer only or maybe using them on an indoor pond during the winter.To be honest I just can make my mind up which way to go,so was hoping for some feedback on either the nexus or showers and perhaps bounce a few ideas around on different configurations.

Mike.
GERRY5
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by GERRY5 »

michael\dave , the simple fact of cost must come into the equation here , whether to pump 3000 galls an hour over a shower , or two in this case or use high pressure to drive an aquadine ...then a nexus system ,even a diy built must be more cost effective in the long run ...obviously if money is no object then fine but an awful lot of power will be needed to drive 9000gallons round ..imho ...so to readress the question ..a nexus will work as well as a home built fluidised k1 system but with a benefit of a smaller footprint but you can also add more to a diy system .....question is if you have an ammonia problem or nitrite\nitrate then a bakki is certainly beneficial in dispelling ammonionic gasses, but then so is a fluidised system (aka k1)....as for myself on our 4000gall.pond i run 3 h\m easys (2 inline) 3 fluidised drums one of which is a hydra 6000 all containing about 530 ltrs in total of k1 400mg ozone and a trickle system ...its the best water ive had in 13 years , the stocking levels are over the top i.e about 30 fish from 10inch to 85 cm .
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v717/JENN ... f6f290.jpg[/img]

those retrofit bottom drains by the way are four foot down , so i would reccomend k1\ nexus\diy easys personally ....
Michaelb
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Michaelb »

Thanks Gerry just the sort of feedback I have been looking for,My current filter set up has been running on the 9k pond for about 7years powered by Aquamax pumps and has never been a problem. However, i now feel its time for me to push on with the hobby and move up to higher grade fish.
The first step taken when I recently converted to RO water,the second step is to increase the turnover of the pond and at the same time change the filtration.I am selling the idea to "she who must be obeyed" by suggesting that the filtration area could be drastically reduced and giving her back a sizeable chunk of her garden.
I am convinced of the benefits of the Showers ,but to run two showers effectively I suspect it would take two pumps around 300 watts each .That is not so bad IF it could be countered by switching off air pumps and UV's as suggested in the appraisals page, in your experience, is switching these off sensible ? If the Nexus is as good as claimed then I could achieve the maximum turnover which they suggest for each unit easily for 150 watts each,but I would need to run air pumps and uv's .Also the apparent ease of cleaning is attractive.

Currently my pond is turned over by two aquamax pumps, has two fluidised vortex each with a hi blow 40 two vortexes jap mat each with Secoh 60 and two Airtech 130's on each bottom drain plus two UV's, and two converted vortexes with static K1 A surface skimmer into a chamber of Jap mat feeding a waterfall by Aqua max 15000.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Michael,

If you already have the vortex units then why not just try changing them about before you blow a load of £££ on new stuff.I run a 4500gln pond on four vortex units and it run pretty good for a home made system and performs very well :D

I have a static K1 for the mechanical and then just four in line vortex units all with just K1 all of which have 40 lts of air in each and pumped by a sequence 750.I also run a large TT which comes from the skimmer line powered by an Aquamax 16000.I also like you run RO and try to keep the PH around 7.The reason for the vortex units was i have a very tight space and would never be able to fit a Nexus in as they are big old things :D
Michaelb
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Michaelb »

Hi gazza

It is another option to play around with what I already have,although I do think it would be worth my while to renew the pumps
Davej
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by Davej »

Hi Michael,

What pumps are you currently running on your current set up, how long and what size pipework are the returns?

You mention wanting to increase the pond turnover, what is it currently?

If you changed to Nexus you would a similar amount of air going into the pond.

On the Bakki side think that for 9000 gallons you would need more than 2 single 4 tier showers if this was your sole means of filtration.

Re the UV how much sun does the pond get?

Some pics of the current set up would be helpful

Regards

Dave
Michaelb
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Michaelb »

Dave,

Current pumps are Aquamax 12000 I believe, they have been in place for about 7 years so I guess the performance would have dropped off a little. I do recall when this pond was built the magic figure for the turnover rate, fashionable at the time, was once every two hours,this clearly is not enough.
The returns are two inch pressure pipe,there are 4 returns which are switch able, so different lengths,but in essence one pump / bank of filters does one side of the pond and likewise for the other pump.So for one side with a couple of bends the pipe run would be about 4 ft for one return and about 7 ft for the other,on the other side the returns are considerably further away roughly 15 ft and 10 ft depending on which return is used.I should also point out that unlike a lot of others I position my pumps after the heat exchanger and UV's ,so effectively the pump inlet is fed by gravity.
This prompts another question ,what should I replace these pumps with ?
If I were brave enough to go completely over to showers then I probably go for four four tiers.
I am fitting new drain diffusers today and bigger bore air pipe ,after I surface I will try and take some pictures and post them,is there any particular area I should photograph ?

The pond gets full sun all day dawn to dusk, with a shaded area at one end of the pond

Kindest regards

Mike.
B.Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by B.Scott »

If you go with the nexus units the two aquamax pumps you have would be prefectly OK. For Bakki Showers however they have nowhere near the head or turnover.

B.Scott
Michaelb
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Michaelb »

If I were to change the pumps would the Optimax work ?
ajm808
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by ajm808 »

However, i now feel its time for me to push on with the hobby and move up to higher grade fish.
hi if your going for better fish i would highly recomend a backi shower you won't beleave the difference they make.
i only have a three tier shower (because of hight) on my pond but i have two aquamax 16000's going over it also have a nexus 300 easy with a aquamax 16000 pond is 4750 gals.
when the backi was first put on i only had one 16000 on but since the extra one was added you could see the difference in the fish within a week hope this helps.
Davej
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by Davej »

Hi Michael,

If your objective is to have a greater flow then changing the existing filters to Nexus will not change much, you could probably get away with your current pumps but if ran the 300s at max then you would probably need to change to Aquamax 16000s, which would probably deliver the EA max flow of 13000L/h. My experience of Nexus is that if you run them at higher flow then you start to get more fines and have to pull them out via other means.

So if higher flow is you aim, by changing to a pair of Nexus say £3K with media you will have not really achieved much.. You would still need UVs etc.

Not sure whether you would get away with the high throughput, low pressure, volume pumps.

Personally I would have some issues going for bakkis as the sole means of filtration, particularly on an outside pond, but if you went for a pair of a pair of 4 tier twin showers it would set you back more than 6K, plus you would have the running costs of delivering some 56000L/h of water at 4' head. My concerns would be around water clarity and potential for cooling the water in cold weather.

If finances were available I would go for the option of revamping your current filration and adding one 4 tier twin shower, you could run the existing returns over this plus water from the skimmers to give you around 28L/h. Benefit would be that it would give you two different media types and increase the flow.

If money was no object then a pair of 300s and 2 twin showers would be a great set up, Darren at A4 has something similar running on a pond of similar size to yours!!

As a final fall back a single 4 tier shower run off the skimmers would be a positive move, agree totally with Arthur Joe here..

It certainly makes your bank balance thinner when you have a bigger set up but if increased throughput is your intention then you have to accept this comes at a price!!

Regards

Dave