Extending an existing pond

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

oldgit
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by oldgit »

hi
excellent pics of pond.you could always slope tophalf towards the drop off then maybe have a return at the btm of wall so creating a current on floor thus pushing crap over the side towards drain.
as a few have said in the past we do go over the top when building our ponds,but i suppose its best to be safe than sorry.no one wants to see their prize fish jumping over the lawn
darren
Jon W
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Jon W »

Hi Shaun

That looks a very impressive job. It also looks like it could be the answer to my current situation. One thing I wondered is what are "extenders". I'm not familiar with the term.

Regards

Jon
kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kimr »

Hi Shaun

Nice pond and great pictures, can I ask, what size was the old pond and what size is it now. It looks great :D
shaun18
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by shaun18 »

Thanks for the kind words.
In reply to Darren, if you look at previous photo 66 you can see in the left hand corner an underwater return from skimmer. The skimmer returns via trickle tower on pond wall (see below top right, but can be diverted below if needed. Both provide anti clockwise flow as does the filter returns (over copings). If you notice on the bare fibreglass pictures all corners deep and shallow end are angled at 45 deg to help with this rotation.

Jon
Wickes wall starter below. Rawl bolt to existing wall and bend down strips to tie in courses.

Kimr
Original pond was 8' x 4'6" x 2'3" 500 gals. Extension of 8' x 9' x 4' gives total of 2200 gals (9900 ltrs).

Shaun
Attachments
Picture 003.jpg
Picture 003.jpg (60.52 KiB) Viewed 11285 times
wickes wall starter.jpg
wickes wall starter.jpg (8.73 KiB) Viewed 11285 times
Picture 002.jpg
Picture 002.jpg (64.62 KiB) Viewed 11284 times
Jon W
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Jon W »

Hi Shaun

Thanks for the pic - I know what they are now! The more I think about it the more I think extending the pond this way could be the best solution to my situation. Only problem is that the end I'd prefer to extend would mean digging up where the current bottom drain pipework is situated which could be a bit dodgy - I don't know if it is encased in concrete or just channeled beneath the base. Still I suppose there is only one way to find out.

Cheers

Jon W.
kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kimr »

Hi Jon

What ever you decide to do dont forget the photos so we can follow the progress. I wish you luck
Jon W
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Jon W »

Hi Kim

Cheers! I'm probably going to need lots of luck. It will probably be a few months before I start. I want to be completely sure of all the design aspects before work begins. Also I've got to complete my growing on pond so that I can move the fish somewhere before draining. I started this late last year (documented on another thread) but the base didn't set and I'm only now in a position to start work again. I'll stick some more photos of this up as it progresses.

Regards

Jon W.
shaun18
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by shaun18 »

Best of luck Jon i'm sure you will sort it

Shaun