Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

jason-m
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by jason-m »

Bob..

Thanks mate... :wink:

I will get it out of the ground over the next few days ( gotta move the shed again as its in the way ) then i will get some more pics of it from inside and out and we can take it from there
I'm sure its all plastic welded as it had a small plastic collar around the outer of the pipe inlet.
grpjohn
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by grpjohn »

Hi Jason the pics are just the job.I would reccomend putting in another drain.One off the grp oneswith a wide flange, fix with sealant and self tappers.Avenue fish do one that would do the job.
jason-m
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by jason-m »

grpjohn wrote:Hi Jason the pics are just the job.I would reccomend putting in another drain.One off the grp oneswith a wide flange, fix with sealant and self tappers.Avenue fish do one that would do the job.
Can't put another drain in John as it was built into the base mate
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Could you not 'saw' out the existing drain Jason and then put in a new drain as if you were putting it in a liner pond. Flange underneath and another on top, den braven inbetween and screw it all together?
jason-m
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by jason-m »

I think a repair would be better Bob..
I could gold label the joints and then fibreglass over just to make sure
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Thats the spirit don't even think about giving up again Jason :D :wink:
jason-m
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by jason-m »

Gazza wrote:Thats the spirit don't even think about giving up again Jason :D :wink:

I'm so close Gazza.... :lol: :lol:
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Dont gold label it, fibreglass is better straight onto the roughed up plastic.
dho
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by dho »

hi Jason,

Sorry to see you are having trouble with your pond. I think Bob's idea of replacing the drain will work but I would definitely go with your idea of patching the split and then fibreglassing over it. How about squirting some expanding foam in situ behind the crack so as to give it a bit of rigidity and then fibreglassing it. It will save you the effor of trying to lift the pond up and then risking damaging it again.

Good luck mate.

David.
GERRY5
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by GERRY5 »

jason , firstly sorry your having a bit of a mare with this , but dont give up i think it can be repaired , i tend to go along the lines of bobs , fill the hole up the best you can with resin then glass on top for rigidity on a rougher surface , you could also seal the holes\crack with resin, coat over the top with acrylated rubber to seal then glass over that ....good luck mate.
tomy2ponds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by tomy2ponds »

Hi Jason I don't really know what to suggest that has not been said already.Just wanted to say stick with it mate we are all behind you
jason-m
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by jason-m »

Managed to get the pond out today and its not good news ( really p***ed off )
The pipework has snapped off completely, not sure what i can do now.. :evil:

[img]http://img4011.photobox.co.uk/67160139b5ea8 ... 6bfef1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img4011.photobox.co.uk/7007078304650 ... dda8a3.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img4011.photobox.co.uk/391385641d34d ... 2a99d2.jpg[/img]
vippymini
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by vippymini »

Jason, give the company a call. get them to send yu a new bottom drain asssembly, then cut out the old one and glass in the new one.
once done you realy need to support the pipework possibly fibreglass it in sections to the bottom of the tank and then stick the insulation over the whole thing
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Bit clearer now, I thought it was the bottom drain itself which had snapped off, not the incoming pipe.

Marvelous stuff is fibregalls, it can fix anything!

Was the pipe just 'flopping' about then, not fixed anywhere else? I'm guessing that the weight of the tank was therefore put perhaps on the pipe, bending it up and therefore snapping it? As Jane says, someohow fix it to the bottom of the tank next time, so it is stronger.

I'm sure if roughed up, the pipe can be put back in place and glassed around the outside to hold it in place. But it will break off again if not secured elsewhere I think.

Is it a 3" pipe?

Fibreglass around the outside, which will hold it in place. Once dried off, sand down ant bits/holes on the inside and then fill holes/gaps with some gold label.

Just need to find some suitible containers to send you a small amount of resin and caralyst, plus some glass. Wil look in my garage later for something.
jason-m
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by jason-m »

Funds are a bit dry at the minute Jane with the holiday coming up..

Hello Bob.
Until i lifted it out i thought the pipe was still connected, it was only when i lifted the pond out i noticed that the pipework ( it is 3" ) was still on the ground.
the reason for the pipe snapping wasn't the weight mate, it was my calculations...if i had dug the channel another 6 inches on one side it would of slotted in niceley, what seems to have happened is that as i have dropped it in it has caught the left edge of the channel and bent the pipework inwards, causing it to snap.. :oops: :oops:
where it has snapped there is a little crack on the inside of the drain as well.
As for the glassing Bob, would i be better doing both sides to be sure..? i could glass from the inside into the pipe and around the back edge as well..??
Let me know what you want for the bits and postage mate and i will sort some payment out for you... :wink:

ps, you know i'm gonna need some instructions as well for this glassing... :lol: :lol: