a challenge i could not ignore ...blue peter styley

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

GERRY5
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

a challenge i could not ignore ...blue peter styley

Post by GERRY5 »

ok folks a lot has been talked about recently regarding the fitting of retro or portable bottom drains where a bottom drain was not or cannot be fitted after a build and the easier option of getting the benefits of fitting a bottom drain is not feasible by draining down and retro fitting later so the challenge began ....first a little research into the whys wherefores and styles being offered on the market , and last but not least the cost involved with purchasing these items , i am not gonna name any names or disrespect other peoples products as i am sure they do the job in the same way as the ones i have produced ........so THE CHALLENGE....make a pair of working portable bottom drains for as little as possible......

firstly sourced two plates at ten inches diameter with enough weight to sink nicely (these are heavier thasn normal plastics\ nylon) , got a mate at a research lab cut me two as required in high density nylon , two elbows in inch and a half local plumbers and a bit of inch and a half pipe all solvent weld ....big thanx to markitaro (ckf)for two b\d lids and two inch and a half tank connectors and running over the idea with me ....so here we go ...

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v717/JENN ... f6f220.jpg[/img]

the materials (not many)

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v717/JENN ... f6f221.jpg[/img]

mark out and drill holes to take tank conn centrally.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v717/JENN ... f6f222.jpg[/img]

countersink screws so as not to foul liner or rock on pond bottom

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v717/JENN ... f6f225.jpg[/img]

drill out top of bottom drain lid to accomodate and fit inch and a half pipe and elbow if requ.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v717/JENN ... f6f223.jpg[/img]

remove base plate and drill holes to allow water thro in base stem the stem and pipe are glued together at this stage , the pipe is measured to lift the lid approx an old mans little finger off the pond bottom.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v717/JENN ... f6f226.jpg[/img]

top and bottom.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v717/JENN ... f6f227.jpg[/img]

ok and ready for fitting on sunday, the inch and a half elbows will take hosetails or fixed pipe and be pumped independently ......the time taken just a couple of hrs over two nights , the materials cost (classified) but you dont need to be a brain surgeon to work it out , efficiency?? gotta be good as all bottom drains are, only worry is the total weight of each item , but with fixed pipe and a drop of den braven\gold seal on the base i cant see em moving , and yes i have already thought of the mark 2 model with fifteen inch base ...you can also clip the aerated diffusers to these as they are standard b\d lids .....more on results as they become apparent ...

comments good or bad welcome
[img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y199/vippy ... pbadge.jpg[/img]
kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kimr »

Well done Gerry lloks very good.

My fear with these although a great idea is would they be Koi safe with rigid pipe where they could catch themselves. So going on your idea would it be possible to build one of these but use flexi pipe on he top instead. All the internal workings would stay the same but anything above the dome would be flexi pipe. Could you also attach this to a pump and have the pump sitting in the vortex or would you have it pumped to a seperate filter. Sorry to ask so many questions but something like this would be ideal for my set up at the moment but I want something that I know is totally koi safe.
vippymini
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by vippymini »

gerry, you might need to add a coupe of pounds of lead to keep them in place on the bottom :oops:
GERRY5
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by GERRY5 »

hi kim......rigid pipe i.e solvent weld pipe wouldnt be a problem just fit hosetails into the elbow and come off in flexi pipe , using two external aquamites which are pulling in opposition at the moment through a matrix system , this will individualise each system to each of the easys ....

jane ...yes that is the one concern is will it hold the bottom ok, i dont think i will be using lead to hold em, but a stainless steel replacement base might do it , but that defeats the object on the cost , could always fill the dome with concrete to weigh it down and hold ...will report more after test runs sunday....
kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kimr »

Thanks Gerry. Good luck on sunday and dont forget to keep us all posted on how it goes I will try and think of something to weigh it down.
kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kimr »

Would a stone air ring attached to the underneath plate be enough weight to hold it down or would the pull of the pump be to strong?
jason-m
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by jason-m »

Looks good Gerry... :wink:
Thought the Blue Peter thing died out a while back, but nice to see you ressurecting it.... :D
GERRY5
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by GERRY5 »

thanx all and ....a blue peter silver thanx jane :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

test results will follow good or bad :roll: :roll: :roll:
cupid koi
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by cupid koi »

Gerry
All looks good so far should work a treat .
I have fitted a retro bottom dome and find that they work fantastic.
Are you going to use external pump? if so will it need priming? if this is the case HOW??

mick
GERRY5
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by GERRY5 »

hi mick, i already use two external pumps , waterco aquamites 1\3 horse pulling 2,200-2,500 gallons per hr each and you prime thro the fitted strainer basket so no problems with priming them. they are already in use on the matrix system in the pond and have been for about 5\6 years now ...

hi kim , i even thought about using old brake discs as a base , sealing them with acrylated rubber and a water safe polyurethane or even fibreglass to seal in the metal.......

jason .....blue peter is alive and well :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi Gerry,

Outstanding! Ive seen a couple of diy retro bottom drains-but none have been of this quality or so simple! Will have to make one up for my mother in laws pond!

Cheers Andy :D
GERRY5
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by GERRY5 »

thanks andy ...the object or challenge was \ is to make a working quality b\d for as little and as easy as poss...i promise i will be honest with the results after testing on sunday and hi light any pitfalls , but fingers crossed..
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi Gerry,

Did you manage to get them in the pond today?

Can i ask where you can buy the bottom drain lids on there own and how much they are?

Cheers Andy
tomy2ponds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by tomy2ponds »

Looking good Gerry it must have been a stressful job going by the TWO ashtrays in the photo :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
vippymini
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by vippymini »

Well did we try it today? :D