Retro portable Bottom Drains .. ?

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

madmole
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by madmole »

I actually own a Welsh Koi Retro drain. Quality is fine. The only downside to it over the Pond Supplies one is that the welsh koi one has no bottom plate, so it it lifts or moves there is a risk of small fish dissapearing

Easily fixed with a bit of plastic or Stainless steel

Mind you I hhave heard of others drilling the bottom plate because if the base of your pond is not smooth crud can collect under the plate

I have some nice SS mesh I'm going to use
mio

Post by mio »

Hi Allen ..
I`m sure your products are as you describe .. and being Welsh myself would certainly support Welsh businesses to the enth degree ..

Not having purchased a Bottom Drain from yourself YET .. I was merely relating a friends experience with one of them ..

If you`d care to PM me i can give you all the details of what transpired ..
mio

Post by mio »

Hi Madmole ..

Do you have more than one type Retro Drain .. ?
Are any of them Aerated please ..? If so how well does it perform .. ? as it was the Aerated type i was actually looking for ..
dave e
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by dave e »

Hi Mio
I Have one of the aerated ones works great.
http://www.allaboutkoi.co.uk/aerated-portab ... 30071.html
Regards
Dave e
madmole
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by madmole »

Mine is not aerated. I use PondSupplies' (on e-bay) 5" and 9" air disks in the pond. I may well just cable tie one of these onto the welsh koi dome as the air disks work so well, stay clean and dont clog and air output and distribution is superb

Dont own the one with a base fitted but have seen plenty

The welsh koi one has stainless still legs which are adjustable for height. I had to make the gap smaller as I have a couple of 3" goldies
mio

Post by mio »

Hi Dave e ..

Than`ks for the link .. you gave it to me before .. They do look Awesome in operation ..

Hi Madmole ..

Might try those Air discs .. my Japanese airstones keep clogging and have to be rubbed down with wet `n dry all the time .. would`nt you be worried adding air might lift the Retro Drain off the bottom if it lacks a weighted down plate ..?

Think i might hang fire and see how Gerry`s homemade "Blue Peter" version performs . it did look Superb ..
madmole
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by madmole »

The air discs are self sinking. Unlike domes they dont actually hold any air.

I had to weight my 8mm airline to stop it floating but the discs stay put

So if anything they will add weight to the retro drain