Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Taggy
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Bakki Shower "Add On To Exisiting Filteration"

Post by Taggy »

Hi All,

My set up is 4000 gallons medium stocked,(at the moment)I run a Nexus Easy 300,trickle Tower,Fluid Bed as my fiteration.Im adding a Showerr 3 tier and a Sieve in the Spring.

My question really, as im not soley Showers will i see benifits in the set that i am adding??? Will my koi see the benifits also??? Will me water change to a degree??

The long term plan is to stock with 12 quality koi,but im sure most can relate to this, you know how it goes if you see one ya fancy you just got to buy it!!!!! so perhaps we should say 15!!!

All help advice appreciated.

Graham
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Graham,

You can never have enough filtration and with the shower you get the added bonus of more air,so combined with you Nexus and a shower i would say its a good combination. My pond is running on K1 and BHM and it seems to be OK :D

The BHM in a shower does seem to do good things and works great as i run a small shower on my QT and i know how good that has performed with the growing on of some fish :D
ajm808
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by ajm808 »

hi i run a 4500 gal pond with a nexus 300 easy of the bottom drain and a backi shower with backi media of the skimmer i don't know all the hype about the backi media but for me it works.
until i put the shower on i never seemed to get a lot of growth but since the shower went on i am very happy with the growth and the health of the fish. it's just my opinion but i think you get a different type of bacteria growing on the backi media to what grows on plastic media i have no proof of this it's just my opinion and i do think the more water you can put over the shower the better they work.
B.Scott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by B.Scott »

AJ,
the most important thing if you are going to shell out the dosh for Bakki showers is to be sure you have a pump that will dump the masses of water over the filter that BH needs to do it's magic. Not sense in spending big money on BH media and then using a piddling little (normal) pump.

B.Scott
Taggy
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Taggy »

So a aquamax 15000 will do???? Or will i need a couple???

Graham
ajm808
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by ajm808 »

i have an aquamax 16000 on mine with 2" pipe work and only one bend works fine.
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi,

Depends, when you say you are adding a bakki shower-do you mean a real genuine one? If so a single shower needs a minimum of 3000 gallons per hour. At 1.5metre head an aquamax will on paper provide 2666 gallons per hour. I doubt that you wil get that much output in real life, so you will probably struggle with just one. Personally id use two and get in excess of 4000 GPH!

Ive been reading a lot of articles about the bakki showers as i intend to use one in conjunction with a nexus 300. The feedback on the showers seems to be that you get lots of extra growth and better skin quality and generally much better water quality-i guess it maybe down to a different type of bacteria? Also i think that they gas off a lot of toxins etc. They also help to get rid of nitrates (the only real wasy to lower nitrate as far as i know without water changes or chemicals) although nitrate is not deadly i believe it can effect the quality and growth of koi which could perhaps be why showers are so effective!

Andy :D
Taggy
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Taggy »

No it's a genuine one,though im sure i can rig 2 pumps up somehow?? Luckily i have time on my side!!!!

Graham
Davej
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by Davej »

Is there any noticable benefit in having a 4 tier shower rather than a 3 tier :?:

How much BHM are you Guys running in your showers :?:

Regards

Dave
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi,

Yes! I was reading that a four tier is more effective due to the water velocity crashing over the BHM. If you look on Yumekoi's website there is loads of interesting info and links!

Andy
ajm808
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by ajm808 »

box and half in each tray of mine i think that works out at 15k thats what mike sent with it. been on 4 years now only touched once taken down to build pergula did'nt fancy knocking it the pond :oops:
size4koi
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by size4koi »

Hi

Just like Arthur we have a Nexus 300 from bottom drain and a 3 tier Bakki from skimmer which is situated within our greenhouse. We think having two different types of media from two sources benefits the pond, but the difference in the koi has been dramatic since installing the Bakki shower.

Go for it…
Jules
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Jules »

Don't forget that a;; that extra free air will help your pond to thrive not survive :lol: Go for it and as has been said another form of media will assit your pool.

Jules
Taggy
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Taggy »

Job done 3 boxes (BHM) on there way,the feedback and PM have been great thanks all for your imput.

Graham