Which Aireated Bottom Drain?

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

I think there was two types of spindrifter and one had the smaller pipe and was for 20lts although many did put a lot more through them.

I Have a soindrifter on my set up which has been on for a few years now and in the summer it get 80lts and in the winter 40 works a treat so far :D
Thorny
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Thorny »

Yeah like everyone says its what you have experience of using. I`m with Jason, on the ponds I build I fit the Coastal Koi drains, they work a treat.
Justin
size4koi
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by size4koi »

Hi Jules

Don’t get me wrong the Spindrifter in its day was the best air diffuser you could buy I should know as we have had one on our pond, but it has now been superseded by other air diffusers such as the ****** and Coastal, I think what a lot of people forget is that the air breaking the surface is what creates the oxygen and more importunely allows gas exchange plus the pull allows the bottom to be kept clean so more the better for the pond and koi.

The new domes are a better design which create less back pressure and allow more breaking of the surface water thus making more oxygen which allows your pump to be more efficient.

I think whether the air pipe comes in from the bottom or side when it’s in the concrete correctly this should not be a problem.

So as john said I want my koi to thrive not just survive you can see immediately the difference in the koi when you change over from say 80lt to 120lt [depending on the size of your pond] they are much happier which is what it is all about.

So in my opinion I would not recommend anyone who is thinking of building a pond to now fit a superseded air diffuser, as this is the bad advice.

Regards

Anthony
Davej
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by Davej »

Hi Andy,

On the tree front;

What type of tree are you talking about, there is a lot of variation in root spread between species..

Are you on clay?

On the Spindrifter - am I right that with the ****** ones you dont have an air hose inside the 1" pressure pipe whereas with the Spindrifters you do?

Regards

Dave
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi,

The tree is some sort of beech i believe. The soil is solid clay!

Getting very confused over the aireated bottom drain???

Cheers Andy
size4koi
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by size4koi »

Hi Dave

On the spindrifters the stem is not pressurized so you probably need an air line inside, though you can pressurize the 1â€
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi,

As i understand it the spindrifter needs a 8mm airline threaded down the small pipe and fits onto the side of the stem inside the drain, where the ******/coastal koi doesnt requirea flexible airline as the stem is directly connected to the small pipe which you can connect straight to a air pump???

I stand to be corrected?

Cheers Andy
size4koi
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by size4koi »

Hi Andy

I think the answer is simple really…always future proof! If you just want 20lt of air in your pond so be it, but at least have the scope to change over to say 80lt to 120lt if required without drastic expensive consequences.

Slightly side tracking, another example of thinking ahead is if you are fitting a skimmer convert it to say 3â€
Thorny
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Thorny »

Sound advise Steve, its so much easier to add little things that You are not going to need when building, then when Your pocket allows You can change over with no trouble at all. On most ponds I build I even go as far as to add a mid water fed, with a Tommy drain cover. Then just valve it off. The customer may never use it but its always there should it be needed, with no hastle at all, just the price of a Tommy cover and a ball valve :wink:
I have to say I would fit either a ****** or Coastal Drain, as You get no dead water in the aie pipe as there is no hose its straight to the diffuser, and again I dont think 40ltr of air to a bottom drain is enough. Think of those red hot summers nights the extra air will give You piece of mind. Dont worry about surface disturbance, just fit a switch on the pond wall and when You are viewing the Koi turn the pump off. After all who stands and looks at their Koi 24/7.
Justin
Davej
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by Davej »

Hi Andy

On the tree front;

[url]http://www.subsidencebureau.com/subsidence_trees.htm[/url]

I had early spindrifters running through 1/2" reinforced hose (inside 1") pressure pipe but changed to ****** retro fits last year after I had a membrane split. :cry:

Since changing I have a hiblow 80 on each dome (about 50L actual at 6' ) I am getting significantly more draw of crap through the drains than I was with 25L through each spindrifter.

Guess there could be an advantage of having a hose through the pipe in that if the worst happened and a joint in the pipe failed the system would still work. Against this I suspect there is more back pressure ?

Regards

Dave
Jules
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Jules »

Some sound advice and tips coming out here. Even I have been educated on the other style of bottom drains.

Anthony. So as john said I want my koi to thrive not just survive you can see immediately the difference in the koi when you change over from say 80lt to 120lt [depending on the size of your pond] they are much happier which is what it is all about. With the added airation is the trhive not survive angle that obvious and impressive?

Good debate and I must admit I thought it would of gone pete tounge, however some new ideas and new information, even to me has led this into a good thread.

John D what is the max air you would put through your air dome and why?

Jules
John D
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by John D »

I think the size and as importantly the surface area of a pond should dictate the size of air pump. If the pond is only 2m square then no point in firing 120ltr through the drain as you will see diddly.

If you have big gallonage and surface area then you can fire a full 120 through no problems and there will still be calm areas to feed and view the koi.

I choose 120ltr air pumps because at the moment they offer the best performance for energy consumption (.88 of a watt per ltr of air). I also believe that air is a vital part of a successful pond, I have seen some ponds that IMO are woefully short on air.
Jules
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Jules »

John that is interesting and also like most things in the hobby good common sense attitude but sound advice. Perfect for those thinking of new builds and upgrades.

Just out of interest how are you finding your BBF's? Did you fit a flush to waste with a sight glass before the return to the pond? Have you used one of those sail shades again this time?

On most ponds your average hobbyist would be nervousabout putting anything more than an 80ltr air pump on the air dome so this is interesting.

The spindrifters can be adapted to take the different rubber membrane to accept more air but as John says unless you have the surface area there is not much point.

On another tack, who has additional airstones aswell as an airdome?

Jules
John D
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by John D »

No Shade Sail this time, I wouldhave needed 3 to cover this pond, but more importantly I live in the curtlidge of a listed building and I am not sure the planning people would have been to pleased!

They do a good job though, Ant has my old sail now.

I like the BBF's, I have two 5's and run them with Aquamax Eco 16's no problem, I run the 2 Nexus 300's with Optimax 15's, so low wattage. I have a turnover of circa 9000 gph for 450 watts.

As you may have guessed i have a serious hang up about using excess watts to run a pond, if its designed correctly then there is no need.
Jules
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Jules »

Nice one John. Good to see you doing your bit to slow down the output of all those power stations round your way. I know where your coming from on the planners :roll:

Did you go for a window? Are your BBF's above or below the water line?

Jules