Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Which Aireated Bottom Drain?

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi,

Do i go for a spindrifter or a ****** aireated bottom drain? Can anyone tell me if the spindrifter has a air pipe straight through to the diffusser like the ****** bottom drain or if you have to run an airline seperatly?

Ive found somewhere selling the spindrifter at half price which is a bargain but just want to be sure i get the right one!

Cheers Andy
judyanngee
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by judyanngee »

Not sure what you mean but here's a photo of my SPINDRIFTER :D
Attachments
KQ B D and returns 2.jpg
KQ B D and returns 2.jpg (77.25 KiB) Viewed 15881 times
Jules
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Jules »

Spindifters are all I fit to be honest. They have never gone wrong and I have never had any problems with blockages due to an airline running to the stem. If you can get one cheaper all the better for your pocket too. It may be better to approach a suppie and see what deal they will do for ALL your equipment. You may find buying in BULK will give you a better bargaining point.

Good luck

Jules
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi,

If you fit em Jules, then il get one :wink: Only thing is 110mm different to 4inch? Get so confused with metric/imperial measurements! Im assuming that 110mm will be ok?

Cheers Andy
vippymini
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by vippymini »

andy, this might not be made by one of the major players in the koi retailers but it could be worth an enquirey
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?View ... 0172347216
i think they must make them themselves so you might even be able to have it made to your own spec...

well worth a call
Jules
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Jules »

Just to stop cunfusion.
110mm pipe is the thin black pipe.
4" is the thick e class pressure pipe.
Budget will depend on which one you go for but to be honest you will be safe with 110mm. You can always use a 110mm reducing sleeve to convert a 4" drain, if this makes sense?

If you need any further advice shout up or give us a bell, afterall all chats are free if you call me and knowlege is power but choclate rocks :wink: :lol:

Jules
jackal
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by jackal »

The ****** aireated bottom drain is far better as far as i know, after a lot of advice I chose the ****** one .
Jules
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Jules »

Horses for courses, not as much movment on price against the competition. I alos prefer to lay pipes side by side and not have one below and one above. Just personal but I stick with what I know, bit like dealers too. :wink: No doubt there are lots of happy customers for both but I fell price may be a driving force here. Do you have any pictures of your pool Jackal?

Jules
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi Jules,

I know a couple of people that have Spin drifters and have had no problems. Will the 110mm be ok, originally i was going to use pressure pipe because of a nearby tree. Surely if its encased with concrete it will be ok?

Cheers Andy :D
Jules
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Jules »

Andy I think you have answered your own question. It will be encased in concrete and by the time the tree roots come near the pipe I think your pool has more chance of being compromised fisrt. That said.
A. How big is the tree?
B. How close is it to the pool?
C. Estimation of roots to pool has so many variables you have to feel safe in the knowledge that the roots will want to go down for moisture as opposed to heading to your pool.
D. Do you feel lucky punk?
e. Would I use 110mm on your job? Probably not but then I know I could walk away from it in my life time and be happy in the knowledge that it would not be compromised. Difference in budget too. :lol:
What's the cheapest quote you have had for the drain, pipe and swept 90's so far?

Just a little bit more for you to think about.

Jules
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi Jules,

The tree is fairly big, the canopy of the tree is not quite over the hole for the pond. Ive been told the roots normally only reach under the canopy. All the roots ive come accross are very thin weedy things. I allowed more room on that side of the wall to allow me to back fill with concrete and possibly some steel reinforcement. I was also planning on 12inch hollows to give more strength.

With regards to the base i was going for about 6inches as i wouldnt expect the roots to come up from under the pond as they should all go down if you get my meaning?

I would rather spend a bit more on a bottom drain now than regret it a few years down the road-do it once, do it right! I had always intended to use pressure pipe, but wasnt sure whether the 110mm would be strong enough if enclosed with concrete?

Just in the process of shopping around for pipework etc, would it be ok to email you a list of bits for a quote?

Also have you still got that 4inch ball valve?

Thanks Again, regards Andy
size4koi
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by size4koi »

Hi

I would do with a ****** aireated bottom drain, they can have up to 400lts through them but realistically 120lts they are much better than the Spindifters which can only handle 40lts but you can put 80lts through them, but this is pushing the Spindifters to it very limit

If you go for a Spindifters you will regret it

Hope this helps :D

Anthony :wink:
Jules
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Jules »

size4koi wrote:Hi

I would do with a ****** aireated bottom drain, they can have up to 400lts through them but realistically 120lts they are much better than the Spindifters which can only handle 40lts but you can put 80lts through them, but this is pushing the Spindifters to it very limit

If you go for a Spindifters you will regret it

Hope this helps :D

Anthony :wink:
I have never heard such poor advice in all my life!!!! Why would you want to put anything more than 80ltrs of air through a bottom drain? You create so much disturbance on the surface you cant see your fish.
The spindrifter is sold in far more numbers around the world than the ****** one do all these other international hobbyists regret buying them? I don't think so. I know your just being loyal to Rich and I applaude you for that but how much experience do you have with other drains on the market?

Andy if you want mail me for a quote feel free. Quotes are free :wink:

Jules[/b]
John D
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by John D »

I will back up Anthony as I have seen more than a few Spindrifter membranes that have been split when 40-80ltrs have been pushed through. At one stage I think they were marketed as only taking 20ltr!! I wonder why?

I push 120ltr through both of my ****** drains becuase the pond needs it at 12,000 galls, 80ltr would not be enough for my liking. I guess it depends if you want your Koi to thrive or just Survive.

And yes I am a friend of Rich for the record.
jason-m
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by jason-m »

Well i use a coastal koi one, i had the ****** originally and sent it back as i didn't like the way that the 1" pipe came out from the bottom, i felt it was a lot of pressure to be putting on it, so like i say i plumped for the coastal koi one..

[url]http://www.coastal-koi.com/shopping.php?class_id=123[/url]