Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Mnementh
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Elecro 800

Post by Mnementh »

Hi everyone,

I have a small pond (compared to the rest of you :) ), about 2750 gals, and use an 800 Elecro stainless steel heater (3KW). I obtained the unit 2nd hand and obtained a manual from the 'net. However, does anyone know what size pond this can cope with?

Thanks,

Mark
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Mark,

Thats not a small pond and a good size to manage :wink:

Just as a rule of thumb we say around 1KW per 1000 gallons so you should be fine with that unit.
GERRY5
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by GERRY5 »

mark ...dont knock it , 2750 gallons is a super size to look after 8) 8) 8) bigger means more of everything filters, pumps b\ds etc etc etc ....how about some piccys then :?: :?: :?:
Davej
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by Davej »

Hi Mark

Sure 3kw will do the job..

Worth making sure you use a decent quality plug though. :!:

http://www.koiquest.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.p ... melted[url]

Regards

Dave
Mnementh
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Mnementh »

Hi Gazza, Gerry and Dave,

Thanks for your comments. Looks as though it should be able to cope.

Dave, been there with regard to the electrics. Had a previous, cheaper 3KW unit, which caused problems. Got some advice and found that my 13 amp system wasn't quite enough :oops: Have now got it through a 16 amp circuit.

I have been reading through a lot of the posts in the Koi quest forum and there's a lot of serious people out there. I am more of a hobbyist and enjoy having my fish and don't get worried about all the finer things (not to say that if I had the money I wouldn't be there!). I have had a number of problems with my fish in the past and have only just started stocking with Japenese fish. However, I feel confident now to increase my stock next spring. Consequently, I have a few korean (I think) Koi and some other fish (wife's fault :) ). Not being too hot on the naming of Koi, I believe that my Japanese Koi are - 2 Nidan's (two step pattern) and a Sumogoromo. You can just see the Nidan's in the picture of the main pond.

I had my pond rebuilt this October and it still requires some esthetic tidying up. The main pond is about 5 metres, by 2 metres and 1.5 metres deep. I have kept the pond at ground level, which gives the advantage of being able to see the fish from the dining room. There is a smaller area at one end for wildlife (fish cannot get to it) and hopefully the pebbles will act as a natural filter. I have some plants which I will update in the spring, the current ones were from the old pond and put in to keep to keep me over to the spring. Hopefully, when things start to grow back and mature, it will look better. The fish seem happy enough though.

I have a 10000 litre pump going into a Cloverleaf 3 chamber filter, the Elecro 3KW heater and currently a Vorton UV.

I will endeavour to put some pictures here, but will be the first time of trying this, so am not hopeful!

[img]http://freespace.virgin.net/mark.fuller/Photo/Pond%201b.jpg[/img]

[img]http://freespace.virgin.net/mark.fuller/Photo/Pond%201c.jpg[/img]
Mnementh
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Mnementh »

Mnementh
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Mnementh »

Mmmm, not got the hang of this. Anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong. The location of the pictures is shown on the post, but the img or url aren't active.

Thanks,

Mark
Graham.
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Graham. »

[img]http://freespace.virgin.net/mark.fuller/Photo/Pond%201b.jpg[/img]
[img]http://freespace.virgin.net/mark.fuller/Photo/Pond%201c.jpg[/img]

Hows that ?

Reason being is that your pictures contain a space which needs to be replaced with a %20 best thing for future is never have a space in file names.

Regards
Mnementh
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Mnementh »

Many thanks for that - you learn something new every day :D

Mark
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Mark,

We are all hobbyist its just some get the bug and go silly but luckily i am not that bad yet :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I still remember saying "heat my pond ha no way" then two ponds down the line.....well the rest is history :D

Nice looking pond and its always good to be able to see it from the house
GERRY5
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by GERRY5 »

gazza.....bug :?: :?: :?: :?: more like an illness :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

must say i like that bonsai in the foreground ,nice pond in a nice tranquil setting 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Mnementh
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Mnementh »

Thanks for your comments. I hope to improve the look in the spring.

I was sat here this evening, watching the TV and this was the view

[img]http://freespace.virgin.net/mark.fuller/Photo/Night.jpg[/img]

I try not to think of the heat going into the atmosphere (Temp outside -2C and the pond temp 13.5C) :( and my attempts to warm the universe :)
Mnementh
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Mnementh »

I am a little concerned re my heater. We have had several days now of temps at/slightlybelow/just above freezing. My current pond temp is between 12.4 to 12.7 (pond sensors) and 13.1 (Elecro reading). I have my temp set at 15.4 on the unit, but obviously the temp is not getting there. As previously indicated, the unit is 3KW and my pond under 3000 gallons. Is this a level of performance that I should expect in these conditions?

The fish seem happy and have started feeding again.

Thanks,

Mark
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Mark,

Some of the heaters tend to be a bit out with the temperature readings as do some sensors so how do you know what one is correct :?: :idea: :?

I am not sure which ones on the heaters to be honest but as long as your fish seem OK and your not spending toooooooooooo much on electricity i wouldn't worry as a 3kw heater should be fine for you pond.

You can cover the pond with Pollycarb or even a pond cover which you can have made to fit and this will save you a few £££££££ the only problem is you cant see your fish in case of any problems and storage.I love to see my fish 24/7/365 so don't cover but with escalating costs it may be something for the future who knows :roll:

I say the same thing every years and still not covered yet :shock:
Mnementh
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Mnementh »

Hi Gazza,

Does there come a point (temp wise) where the heater becomes useless, ie the temp drops below 10c? I thought that the idea was that the heater kept the water at the temp set (assuming that it is sufficient for the pond). If my 3KW cannot keep the temp of the water above 10c if the ambient temp drops further, does that mean I need a higher rated heater?

Mark