windows?

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Andy_L
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

windows?

Post by Andy_L »

Hi there guys and gals. I am in the middlwe of planning my new pool and was wondering where the best place to get windows and frames is. I am looking for two one around 3"x2" and the other perhaps 4"x2"? And my toher question is do they equate to brick courses? Thanks Andy :?
Jules
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Jules »

Forget wasting money on a frame you do not need one. All you require is 2 lintels, a steel L shaped for the facing bricks and a concrete lintel for the internal course of brick work. [img]http://www.jewelspondsandgardens.co.uk/Imag ... ts/180.JPG[/img]

If you need any help/talk through how to do it mail me and I will save you money.

Jules
dave a
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by dave a »

Try ****** KOI they will make frames to any size do it once do it right
jason-m
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by jason-m »

Never bothered with a ready made frame for mine..total waste of money...

You can cut corners into the surrounding blockwork to make a reccess or what i did was to cut n edging kerb into strips and as along as they are behind brickwork for reinforcing they will be ok..
Andy_L
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Andy_L »

thanks guys think I will look at options in angle and lintels...sorry not ****** for me!
tomy2ponds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by tomy2ponds »

As Jules said you don't need a frame as advised we built the wall with a recess put a stainless plate in to support the to course of bricks above and glassed it all then the window was fitted from inside and sealed into place :D
The Photo is with out the glass in place 8)

LEE
Attachments
pond rebuild 062.jpg
pond rebuild 062.jpg (43.72 KiB) Viewed 15702 times
Andy_L
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Andy_L »

Thanks Tomy, I am right in thinking that the pressure from the water will be able to assist in the fitting by using normal silicone sealant around the glass? I am thinking of putting lintel on the bootm then using 3"angle for the sides and top, glassing over then fitting?
tomy2ponds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by tomy2ponds »

Hi Andy what we did was to put sealant Gold label or similar around the recess pushed the glass in to place then sealed it pond side to the fiberglass then out side to the bricks and edge of the fiberglass .it is a very neat job on the outside 8) and also if the worst should happen and the glass got broken at a later date you only have to drop the water below the glass and you could remove it not an easy job but it can be done without destroying the pond wall :lol:

LEE
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Andy,

Once Jules showed me how to make a window frame without a frame, I've fitted a few.

Just build the opening from the inside with blcoks, then fit a slightly larger piece of 20mm ply over the hole. 25-30mm all round bigger is usually fine.

Then render the pond walls up to the ply. Once the render is dry, remove the ply and you have a frame.

Fibreglass into the frame, then fit glass with Den Braven sealent. Den Braven has another name which I cant recall sitting here, someone will remember.

I also saw one pond 'frame' built when the pond was lined with that sheet insulation. Again once it was glassed there was a nice frame to fit the glass to.
Andy_L
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Andy_L »

Cheers Tomy I like then sound of that idea, I agree even if if should get scratched etc then it can always be replaced. What glass did you use? (If you do not mind me being nosey)
jason-m
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by jason-m »

Bob Hart wrote:Den Braven has another name which I cant recall sitting here, someone will remember..
Gold label...... :wink:
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

I think the other name is Poliflex or something like that.
jason-m
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by jason-m »

I always thought Gold Label was D Brevin..... :D

Well you learn something new they say.. :D
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Jason,

No Den Braven is different and the Gold Label is the all singing one which can be used even in wet conditions but is more expensive.

I have used both in my system over the years and they both work very well :D
Andy_L
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Andy_L »

thanks all, at the moment I am thinking some think like picture...and yes 3D pictures aree not my forte! I am loking at a corner pond with round inside corners , 3 mid water returns, one bottom drain, skimmer, and perhaps two windows? Filteration whys I am probably going to run b/d through nexus then bubble into then uv and heating system , as nexus will take out some solids and is easy to clean, then bubble for fines Skiimer perhaps through basic soilds removal stage then up into trickle tower to gas ofF and reoxygenate?
Attachments
pond ideas.jpg
pond ideas.jpg (17.43 KiB) Viewed 15654 times