Filter modifications for the Spring

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Filter modifications for the Spring

Post by eds »

So as not to hi-jack Jason's thread any more with my ramblings I've started this thread on my K1 modifications for my new blockwork filter.

I've only just finished this this summer but since putting K1 in my QT filter, seeing the numbers of people using this so effectively and also having a look at Mark's set ups at Cuttlebrook and talking to him about it I have decided to convert my filter to K1 too.
First how it is now.
[img]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p169/eds ... anView.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p169/eds ... -above.jpg[/img]

The plan is to leave the vortex as is and to put the static K1 in where the brushes go and then put the fluidised K1 in where there is currently Flocor. The flocor will join the other media in the DIY trickle/shower I have at the top of the waterfall.

First the plan view. The only two pieces of plastic I will need are to hold the static K1. It will be prevented from getting to the pumps by either 2" stainless steel strainers, or by fitting lengths of 2" pipe with slots sawn in them across the final bay at the end.
[img]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p169/eds ... anView.jpg[/img]

Here you can see the planned slots (that may be changed to holes!) at the bottom where the water will flow in.
[img]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p169/eds ... iew1-1.jpg[/img]
The piece on top of the dividing wall is also planned to be slotted like this, but may be drilled instead.

On this side view you can see the placements of the plastic sheets and where the aeration pipework is planned to go.
[img]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p169/eds ... tView2.jpg[/img]

Gazza has already pointed out some of the problems that can occur with cutting slots that can flex and let the K1 through. What thickness of PVC sheet would I need to stop this? As I figure, I already need fairly thick sheet so the whole thing doesn't flex. Will 6mm be thick enough or should I go thicker?

The reason the static chamber doesn't come further forward is I have some larger floating plastic media and am planning that as a K1 prefilter section. However I could move the static K1 to over the waste pipe and have some fluid K1 in the former brush chamber too. Obviously I'd need a full height sheet after the static then and I suppose the first part could then go level with the inlet from the vortex to the brush chamber. Which plan would be best do you think?

Hope this is clear guys as I realise it's a rather long starter post. If anyone can see any other potential problems please say too!

Cheers,
Ed.
eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Re: Filter modifications for the Spring

Post by eds »

I'm dragging this back up guys as I could really do with some advice as I'm hoping to make these changes ASAP.

I need some suggestions on:
1. The thickness of plastic sheets I'll need.
2. What type of plastic to use.
3. Any good sources of it?

I've seen some black acrylic on Ebay that looks like good stuff and decent prices but am open to any suggestions.

Thanks,
Ed.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Ed,

Sorry i missed this post mate and i think we have spoken about this before.I used the perforated sheet on my system and you can drill loads more holes and a bit bigger if you need a better flow.Not knowing the exact size of each sheet you could either use one or two stuck together but as long as you hold it in place its strong stuff.

this is the stuff i use just cling on the link and scroll down near the bottom when you come to the perforated sheets and you will see a picture of some filter grids.They are 1m x 1m x 3mm thick and i am not 100% but Bob may of used this in his old block built system and that was big.

http://www.koicarp.org.uk/koi_filters.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by eds »

No worries Gazza, it was a while ago and we discussed it at Cuttlebrook I think!

3mm thick was fine then, that's great to know as it'll save me a bit, I was looking at 5mm thick Acrylic! I need the largest piece to be 550mm by 500mm and was planning to have slots or holes just in the bottom 100mm or so.

Anyone has any advice then please chip in. I think I'm going to cut slots rather than holes and then support them with a cross piece if they flex a lot. (The main reason is they will be a lot easier for me to cut than drilling all those holes!!!)
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Ed,

Why only holes on the bottom part will this not restrict the flow :?:

Slots are OK but they do tend to make the plastic move when in the flow and then some K1 can get through thats why i went for the holes and the link i gave you all the holes are drilled :D
eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by eds »

Gazza wrote:Hi Ed,

Why only holes on the bottom part will this not restrict the flow :?:
I want the dirty water to enter at the bottom then flow up through the K1. I was thinking this would improve performance?
Gazza wrote:Slots are OK but they do tend to make the plastic move when in the flow and then some K1 can get through thats why i went for the holes and the link i gave you all the holes are drilled :D
Will think carefully about the holes. Thought that slots would give more flow though for the same area? Well the same at least for less hassle drilling/cutting them.
eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by eds »

Thanks for all the help on this and other threads guys. I've now ordered all the stuff and, as I've finally got the BHM on its way, I'll be able to move most of the established K1 currently in the QT across without too many teething problems with filter maturation hopefully!

I've got 50 more litres of K1 coming (to give me 100l altogether split between static and fluidised), 5mm black acrylic for the partitions and drain covers, all the 15mm speedfit pipe and connections and a 60lpm air pump. I've already got some Gold label sealer and various bits of pipework for finishing bits off and sticking the partitions in place so that should cover everything I hope!

Will post pics as it starts to come together.