Filter Conversion / Mod part 1

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

jason-m
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Filter Conversion / Mod part 1

Post by jason-m »

Seeing as the hole is dug and the pond is being delivered in two weeks i decided to make a start on converting the over and under filter box i have got.The weather was terrible today so i just decided to do a bit of prep work as tomorrows forecast is slightly more rosy...

Here is the filter to be converted..

[img]http://img4011.photobox.co.uk/855004868d933 ... d43490.jpg[/img]

I started at the vortex end, to measure the inside i cut a piece of wood the same width as the inside and ran it round the base of the vortex to make sure it touched the sides, i then nailed the centre of the wood onto the perforated sheet so it would spin around and went around the circle with a pencil..

[img]http://img4011.photobox.co.uk/9597068740c51 ... 49c1f0.jpg[/img]

I cut all the plastic with a normal saw and it was really easy to cut..I than put the piece into the vortex to check it and what a lovely fit... :lol:

[img]http://img4011.photobox.co.uk/837279936bf07 ... d4c2a6.jpg[/img]

The middle section was next, this was a bit tricky as it had some shape to it...

[img]http://img4011.photobox.co.uk/50802857504d5 ... 197f60.jpg[/img]

After a bit of a measure and another bit of a measure i managed to slot it in nicely... :wink:

[img]http://img4011.photobox.co.uk/444043600c9c2 ... 8427bd.jpg[/img]

After reading a few other threads i found that people who just covered the exit place were getting head loss until they added a free section, this will also be done on the vortex section as well..

[img]http://img4011.photobox.co.uk/773644771bfc8 ... 0e0f45.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img4011.photobox.co.uk/665604310ea4f ... 41e2f5.jpg[/img]

and finally the last section which was the easiest of all as it was square

[img]http://img4011.photobox.co.uk/17081698d93da ... 641f34.jpg[/img]

Next i started to make the airlines, all bays wil be on the same line but i will be able to isolate them individually via taps for cleaning purposes..

[img]http://img4011.photobox.co.uk/735389969537c ... e1aef2.jpg[/img]

I don't know whats going on with speedfit, i had a right journey round today to find just basic elbows and tee's, went to two big orange DIY warehouses and mostt the stock is gone, ended up at screwfix and got what i wanted til i went back because i was 3 T's short only for them to say they are out of stock......
:evil: :evil:
and that was as far as i got before the rain finally got through my layers of clothing..
Tomorrow is Gold Label day...... :lol: :lol:
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

That's a great job Jason, really proffessional. Clever idea with the wood

What size are the holes in the sheets? You can go up to 8mm and K1 will not fall through.
jason-m
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by jason-m »

Not sure what size the holes are Bob, i will get an 8mm drill bit and if the holes are smaller i will make them bigger to help the flow.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Jason,

Great to see you back up to you neck in it again :D

When i did mine i also drilled a load more holes in the perforated sheet to make sure i could get the best possible pull through :wink:
jason-m
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by jason-m »

Its nice to be up to my neck in it Gazza, i really missed it the last year...

I will add as many holes as i can mate.... :wink:
eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by eds »

Looking like a very good job. I'm going to convert my filter to K1 in the spring so will follow this closely. Think I'm going to go with slotted sheeting rather than drilling thousands of holes though!!!!
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Jason,

Is this that cheap filter you bought and it came with loads of other gear?

Static K1, then 2 bays of fluidised? It will be great and I cant see you having any problems on that pond.

Is the pond being made a 'special' size to fit the hole with the sewer pipe in it?
dfinn
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by dfinn »

Hi,

Looks like a great Job, well done!

With K1, I have found that a few bits of K1 squash up and end up crushed, so will fit through smaller holes. I don't know if my K1 is a cheaper version, but it looks exactly the same as normal K1 with 4 "spokes" inside. I don't know if anyone else has had this happen.

I'm looking forward to further updates on the project.

Thanks,

Daniel
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Yes the K1 can sometimes get through smaller holes and it doesn't matter what you do but you always end up finding K1 all over the show for years :D :D :D
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Daniel,

I agree that does happen. I drilled 10mm holes in a sheet once as new K1 looked like it would never get through holes of that size. Loads of K1 did end up stuck in it as it changed shape slightly. 8mm holes seem better though and I've very few bits get through or stuck in this size.
jason-m
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by jason-m »

Bob Hart wrote:Jason,

Is this that cheap filter you bought and it came with loads of other gear?

Static K1, then 2 bays of fluidised? It will be great and I cant see you having any problems on that pond.

Is the pond being made a 'special' size to fit the hole with the sewer pipe in it?
Its the same one Bob...Pro Cler UV30, 2KW Elecro Heater, Aquamax 8000 Blagdon Switch Box (£350...Bargain)

As for the pond....

Sadly its only going to be 9ft x 6ft by 4ft deep..... :cry: but it will be kep't at a steady temperature and i will get 1620 Gallons + filters..
At least it will keep me going til we move in a few years.. :wink:
Looking like a very good job. I'm going to convert my filter to K1 in the spring so will follow this closely. Think I'm going to go with slotted sheeting rather than drilling thousands of holes though!!!!
Ed..
the sheet came with holes mate, but i will probably have to go through every one with an 8mm bit.... :lol: :lol:
eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by eds »

I did realise that, but I meant that, like you, I'd probably end up enlarging them and drilling extra ones too. I've used my circular saw to cut pretty neat slots in 4" pipe for my current QT filter and it was pretty quick and easy.
jason-m
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by jason-m »

eds wrote:I did realise that,
:oops: :oops:
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Ed,

I have tried slots and they work best on pipe as they are small slots as if you do them too long or too many the plastic tends to open and let the K1 through.I tried it and ended up wasting some sheet so went with the holes in the end and just made sure i drilled extra holes and bigger ones :D
eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by eds »

Gazza wrote:Hi Ed,

I have tried slots and they work best on pipe as they are small slots as if you do them too long or too many the plastic tends to open and let the K1 through.I tried it and ended up wasting some sheet so went with the holes in the end and just made sure i drilled extra holes and bigger ones :D
Good tip Gazza, thanks. Looks like I may have to get the drill out after all!!! I do have a plan to keep the slots from opening though by using a couple of ribs and thicker PVC sheeting, but I won't hi-jack Jason's thread any more!
jason-m wrote:
eds wrote:I did realise that,
:oops: :oops:
No probs- I didn't really make myself clear; for a change! :wink: :lol: