Look what i've dug up ** UPDATED**

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

gingeletiss
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by gingeletiss »

Jason

Welcome back to the world of worry :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: no-body said that keeping Koi was easy, my experience tells me, that we always want more/better. Your design looks good, and if it is the easier option go for it. Once you start digging up pipes, you may find all sorts of problems.

Keep us posted :wink: :wink:
Telthepondman
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Telthepondman »

Raise the pond up under the window cill, move the wall up to the conservatory wall, or better still make it the conservatory wall and add a viewing panel in the conservatory. Deep joy. Tel
jason-m
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by jason-m »

Hello Tel..
I was already going to raise it under the window sill anyway mate, so i could sit in the conservatory and watch the fish
Thorny
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Thorny »

If You are going to build it up tight, You have got to fit a window. Not the hardest job in the world and can be done and cleaned up within a day :wink: .
Then just sit back and enjoy the view :D
Justin
jason-m
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by jason-m »

Justin, i would love a window in the conservatory, but we might be moving in about 4-5 years, so for saleability reasons i have decided against fitting one....
Would of been nice though....
Thorny
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Thorny »

4 to 5 years is a long way off. Just fill the window in if its putting potential buyers off.
Going back to Your pipe problem I think the new design is the less hasle route. I think I would be inclined to go that way myself. As I am pretty sure You need planning permission to move and waste drainage, and as You can imagine its not the nicest job on the planet either :lol:
Justin
Telthepondman
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Telthepondman »

Looks to me like the drain is the main drain, the one past your manhole which is the responsibility of the water board who would not take lightly to you moving it. If you are moving in a few years you could have some awkward questions to answer if a surveyor picks it up or worse still if the dreaded hips come in.looking at your conservatory it looks like upvc so you could even at the expense of a foot or so[ that'l please her who must be obeyed]have part of the pond inside the conservatory, now theres a thought. Tel.
madmole
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by madmole »

Also afraid to say that as you are digging and building within 2m of the sewer that you must inform said water agency and they will charge you money to inspect it and again once you have built to ensure its intact

Its a lot of grief (ask me how I know :( )

So I didnt say this but pour sharp sand in around it and put conrete around it before laying the base. Make sure it doesntt move or rupture when the water goes in (fix any holes) and pretend like you never saw it
jason-m
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by jason-m »

madmole wrote:So I didnt say this but pour sharp sand in around it and put conrete around it before laying the base. Make sure it doesntt move or rupture when the water goes in (fix any holes) and pretend like you never saw it
Sounds very similar to the plan i had.... :)
gingeletiss
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by gingeletiss »

To late, I have cut and pasted that last bit :roll: ....please leave £4.63 in a brown bag, in the phone box round the corner from your house, at midnight Saturday, or I write to the Sun :lol: :lol:
jason-m
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by jason-m »

Only got £3.50 dave..will that do ya..
gingeletiss
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by gingeletiss »

How do you know it's me :lol: :lol: :lol: .....I'll take it :wink: :wink: