Poly Carb roof plans 3

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Paul - Started with that, see previous plans threads. The difficulty is that the patio area is higher than where you'd normally stand to view the pond. When standing on the patio, all you'd see is the top of the roof area. Therefore is pitched, on the patio you'd be standing by the pitch area and therefore still see into the pond. Hope this makes sense, although flat roof may still be on the cards.

Jane - Poly Carb'd to keep the heat in in the Winter. The back will be filled permanenatly, then during the winter the front/sides will be filled with poly carb. Nice and warm in the whole area.
KOIBOY-greggharris
Manta Ray
Manta Ray

Post by KOIBOY-greggharris »

looks great bob
i agree
wouldn't want anymore posts at the front
a) yer the fish i know with our net you hit the garage wall to being trapped between loads of posts are gonna be a right pain
b) it'll look ugly to have a lot of bars like a cage

theheat given off could warn the polycarb and any snow might melt and run off

yer you could use a drag net but it still doesn't solve the problem
ours is open plan and you still need the room to grab the fish and angle the net diagonally so you can get to the fish
if between posts you can't get the angle to get the fish to the surface whilst giving you room to grab the fish from the net

never did like the feeling of being trapped when in a panic with a fish in a net flapping about

you could have bigger stronger main posts at the front as apposed to smaller little ones

any way looks great
des
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

The Hart Project

Post by des »

Bob

What you want is a structural engineer and architect that is also a Koi hobbyist

I will have a word and get him to give you a ring

DES
Bigbloke
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Bigbloke »

Bob

I had a quick run through the previous posts on this.

What is the roof for ? is it mainly shade and decorative or are you planning to enclose the whole thing in the colder months to retain heat ?

Cheers

Paul
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Hi Des,

When I went to Danny's yesterday, he had 4" x 2" beams on a near flat roof longer than 3-metres and he pulled himself up on these and they bend a little bit, but not much. Danny reckons he weighs 10 stone, more like 14 stone though. He says he's had snow on the roof before as well.
4" X 2" will therefore be OK for the pitches, based upon this demonstration.

It's just the front, where I'd like it as open as I can. A nice big beam from one end to the other would be great.
Telthepondman
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Telthepondman »

Hi, Bob, just my 2 penneth, the front spans are just to wide for any timber unless you have a flitch beam designed for the purpose which would need an engineer to design as has been suggested. try to reduce span to a max of 3.6 metres ie 12 feet, then you can use 8x2 or 12 x 2 with a nice curved bottom for an arched affect.Tel
dannyboy
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by dannyboy »

Bob,
O.K
10 stone was a lie , weighed myself 11 stone :roll: :roll:
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Thanks Tel,

The front is the issue currently and I'm working on ti, thanks for the advice
vippymini
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by vippymini »

bob why not double up on the front beams. screw together two 4"x2" or 6"x2" it will be double the strength but won't look any bigger and out of place. should be cheaper as well.
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

It's a good thought Jane

I'm also working on the theory of having just 2 posts and a big metal beam between them, but this is just a maybe.

Next weekend I'll fit the 5 posts at the back and the 6" x 2" connecting beams, then I'll remeasure everything from there and see what I can do for the front.
carlejo
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by carlejo »

Bob... have you got a cheap supplier for the polycarb sheets ?

I think I'm going to have to go this route as well as boarding and glassing/felting the roof maybe too heavy.... just wondered if you had sourced a cheap supplier ?
thanks
Carl
tomy2ponds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by tomy2ponds »

Hi Bob have you considered reclaimed timber possibly even a steel beam could be found at one of those reclamation places :idea: I can see your point of less posts on the front & Jane's Idea of bolting two timbers together would work well too as we do this quite often when building roofs.And altering/moving internal wall's when doing a conversion.

LEE
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Paul - missed your post earlier, think we were both posting at roughly the same time. It's a big conservatory really. Filter maintenance will be dry and easy. The shower I'm fitting will be 'indoors' in reality.
During the Summer months it will be a poly carb'd roof with a back on it. During the colder months, I'll fit poly carb to the front and sides. At the far end though, there will be an area under the roof which can be used to sit about in.

Lee - Reclaimed timber and possibly a large steel beam are a possibility certainly. Once I get the back posts/timbers in place, I can decide on the front and them scavange about for more timber and possibly the beam.

Carl - Nick Gray does some good prices for poly carb 'seconds', which dont really look like there is anything wrong with them. I have another supplier though, through a friend.
Nick Gray poly carb website - http://www.nick-gray.co.uk/
Thorny
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Thorny »

Hi Bob looks like You are getting plenty of feedback on this one mate. Some of it good some of it not so good, but hey thats what You posted it for. So You could get an angle of different peoples opinions.
I think Jane has put the problem on the front to bed for You. As I mentioned to You yesterday Double trimmers are the way to go. Star bolt them together and then You have a 6x4 front timber. Capable of taking the wieght of a polycarb roof. 4x2 timbers running to Your 6x1 Apex board. Brace the Apex with either Ply as has been mention. You could then just make up a template cut all the ply to the size and shape. Then this would also act as a profile. To ensure the pitch of Your roof is the same through out. Or You could just simply bolt 4x2 cross braces 300mm down from the apex. To Your 4x2 main roof run timbers. 4x2 nogins in evenly spaced down the run of the roof to ensure no twisting to timbers. You can also use these to polytop nail into for Your poly carb sheets. With the us of Your purlins that You plan to lay it all on as well this roof will go nowhere. Even if we have a stray snow cloud from the Northpole :lol:
I think perhaps sometimes people get a little excited at over enginering a project. The thing to bare in mind is that 90% of all houses built today only have 4x2 timbers in the roof. OK they are closer toghether and have more internal braceing, but they have to hold up felt,baten, roof tiles and snow.
I am sure I will play a part in the building of this roof somewhere along the line :wink: I am looking forward to the challenge.
Justin
carlejo
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by carlejo »

Thanks Bob.. just checked the site you've linked and it seems quite well priced.... will have to make some enquiries.... cheers Bob