trickle towers.

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Jon W
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Jon W »

Hi Bob

So it is possible to use showers all the year round without having to enclose it in a building. I'm getting increasingly tempted to use them as my primary filtration.

So you get ambient temperatures over 20C? Blimey! In the 2 years that I've had a pond it has only ever managed 17C in the full heat of summer. Did you manage to build your pond over a particularly thin part of the Earth's crust? Hiring a geophysicist must have cost a fortune!

Cheers

Jon W.
dho
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by dho »

Hi Jon,

My prefer filtration is aerated K1 above anything else. I added the bead filter to polish the water. The Bakki shower is something that I have always fancied as I think it added to the O2 of the pond. I think each type of filters have a slightly different mix of bacteria so it is better safe than sorry.

Would I use a bacci shower and BHM as the only source of filtration? I don't think so but plenty others have and are more than happy with the results.

david.
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Jon,

As some people know I'm re-doing all of my filtration currently. A big job which will take me some time to finish yet. Currently digging out some old block built filters and constructing a 12-metre x 5-metre pergola/poly-carb roof.

What I will end up with is 2 pairs of Vortex's, each with Staic K1 and then Aerated K1. Somewhere between 120-150 litres of K1 in each pair. Each pair will have a turnover of 2000+ gallons/hour.

Also I will have a larger shower than the one in the picture. It will be a 1.5 x size and 4-tiers high. Making it myself pretty soon and it will have a turnover of 6000 gallons hour.

All this on a 8500 gallon pond and I know it will work very well.
Taggy
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by Taggy »

Is that meening that you are going to enclose all the pond in for the winter months with polycarb?????

So you can walk in and conserve some heat??

Certanly something i would like to do!!!!

Graham
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Graham,

Yes the poly carb roof will cover the pond, the filter area and the area up to my shed. There will be a seating area in there, plus probably some Bonsai's and other stuff.

During the winter, front and sides of Poly carb can be put in place and upon opening the 'door' you will step into a warm, dry, large area where the filters and pond are, and take a seat!

Give me another 9-months and I hope to be finished!!!!!!
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Jon,

Trust me i don't get commission from Mike.....he's far to tight :lol: :wink:

BHm is by far one of the best medias IMO we have today as it works very well and does what it says on the tin :)

Would i use it as an only source of filtration well i have to answer yes as i run just a shower on my QT which is pumped directly from my bottom drain and as long as i don't go silly with the amount of fish and feeding i can keep a clean pond/tank :D

I also use BHM on my main pond in a large TT so the main pond is over 300lts K1 and three boxes of BHM in the TT i run a Sequence 750 on the main filters and an Aquamax 16000 on the TT so a fair turnover rate :)

I have been lucky to go round to lots of ponds which are just filtered by BHM and some have been absolutely stunning and the fish something else so they must work.The only thing i would say is on a main pond with plenty of fish and heavy feeding i do think they need something before the shower like a sieve or something to keep it clear :idea:

Obviously you then have the chilling effect which is a big downfall but many are installing there showers in filter houses at the back of the pond or fully enclosed like what Bob is building.Do you know where your going to have the filtration and pumps could the showers not go in there :?: :?:

You could (being a coward) have a Nexus from one BD & a Shower from the other and insulate the shower like Bob has and get the best of both worlds you will then have a better turnover rate and mixed media filtration :idea:

[img]Would%20you%20ever%20rely%20on%20a%20Bakki%20only%20filtration%20system%20or%20is%20the%20Yumekoi%20marketing%20blurb%20in%20the%20same%20vein%20as%20EA%20"Nexus%20Eazy%20as%20a%20one%20stop%20solution"?[/img]

I have been lucky enough to know Mike and he is a very decent and honest guy your not that far away perhaps you should try to get down to see him before the building starts :idea:
Jon W
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Jon W »

Hi Bob

I like the sound of completely enclosing the pond with polycarb. Whilst I have managed to convince the domestic management that a new pond is essential, I think a polycarb structure could result in a civil uprising (it would block the view from the living room window).

On your new filtration system the shower seems to be supplemental to the K1 (I think Yumekoi quote 1 standard shower per 2000 gals). What doe the shower give that you won't get say from adding another 150-200ltrs of K1?

Hi Gazza
It would be nice though wouldn't it if you could persuade Mike to send you 1 BHM nugget for every box sold - GAT rather than VAT!

I think the only thing putting me off going for BHM-only filtration is the need to build a substantial filter house to ensure that the towers can be suitably insulated. If like Bob the shower is supplemental to K1 then it's not quite such an issue and a polycarb enclosure will do. I suspect I will end up with a combination of K1 and BHM along the lines you describe. I just like the idea of a almost maintenance free filtration system with simplified plumbing which also provides very good quality water which Bakki showers seem to offer. I'm maybe being a bit tonque in cheek about the marketing blurb point - I'm pretty convinced even without having tried it that BHM is probably the ultimate filtration media

I will definitely visit Yumekoi. From their website it does look like an interesting setup. I went to Coldwater Collection a few weeks ago, my first visit to a proper koi dealership, an eye opener and a huge source of inspiration. The only problem was coming home to my titchy little 4K gal pond without curved windows and water so clear that 8ft deep looks like 2ft!

Cheers

Jon
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Hi Jon,

The Poly Carb will only be fully on all around during the colder months. Most people dont venture outside too often then anyway and I'm sure you could disguise it somehow!

My Shower will be a 1.5 size, so big enough to support 3000 gallons. Each of my pairs of Vortex's is bigger than a Nexus 200 and a 200 has a max size of 4000 gallons. So in total I'll have filtration for at least 11000 gallons and I'll only have 8500.

Currently my pond is running on a single pair of Vortex's and a 3-tier single shower and It's been like that all Summer. There's one or two Koi in there, with 4 of them over 30", so a fair loading. Once it's all complete the filtration will be double what there is now, so I have a feeling it will work very well. The shower will have a seive in front of it as well, so I can add another pump and put more over the shower if needs be.
dannyboy
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by dannyboy »

Hi,

Heres my double shower in its winter jacket,
My pond never goes lower than 20 :? ( boiler assisted obviously ) :wink: :wink:
My shower has about 3500 gph going over it and i never loose any heat at all as i have tested the amount the boiler is on with the shower running and when off, it is almost silent aswell (keeps neiugbour sweet ) :lol: :lol:

So if you have the right enclosure i dont see it has to be big or ugly

[img]http://www.koivista.com/files/dannyboy/5199 ... us_145.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.koivista.com/files/dannyboy/5201 ... us_151.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.koivista.com/files/dannyboy/5201 ... us_170.jpg[/img]
Jon W
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Jon W »

Hi Bob

I've very little idea about sieves. I though if you use BHM and get sufficient flow going that no pre-filtering of solids is necessary. What sort of sieve and does it have to be pump fed. With my current pond I do suffer from fines a little bit and had toyed with the idea of a sieve, but wasn't quite sure where to put it - I'd thought after a settlement vortex but before dynamic K1 bio filter. Do you think that would work?

Hi Dannyboy

I like the design for the shower enclosure. I had visions of having to either put in a fairly substantial shed or a block built edifice. Something along the same lines would do very nicely. Do you experience any problems with condensation during the winter? Also, do have ventilation for gasing off CO2?

Cheers

Jon W.
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Jon,

I've seen Danny's 'enclosure' and you cant hear anything at all.

My seive will be fed by gravity from a bottom drain. As my pond is 'outdoors' I get leaves/twigs etc blown into the pond. The seive will remove this prior to the pump on the outlet pumping the water up to the shower. It will of course remove any fish poo, which is an advantage as well. You can pump direct, but why not take out the bits first!

I may also connect up my skimmer, so that it flows by gravity into the seive as well as the bottom drain. I can then fit 2 pumps on the outlet and have cleaner water pumping to the shower from. I currently pump direct from the skimmer and bits can and does clog the spray bar over a number of weeks.
Jon W
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Jon W »

Hi Bob

To be honest I would find the sound of rushing water reassuring - at least I'd know that all was well. My nearest neighbour is 1/2 mile away so no noise pollution issues.

So if not for reasons of keeping the filter media "clean" it would be worth fitting a seive to prevent clogging of spray bars. If you have 2 pumps from the outlet of the seive is there not a danger of one of them running dry unless you have a very precise calculation of the flow rate into the sieve or exactly the right gph for the pumps (assuming not variable flow pumps)?

Regards

Jon W.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Jon,

One of the guys built a very nice pond with the filter house at the end which enclosed all the equipment for the pond including showers and it looked fantastic......i will have to try to find a picture of it finished it was great :wink:
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Jon,

With gravity seives, there is a floating weir, which allows just the right amount of water through to the pumps. If a second pump was added, the level in the sump at the bottom would drop, then the wier would also drop allowing more water in from the bottom drain.
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi Amanda,

So has Rob noticed the new shower yet? Hope you weren't in too much trouble! Hope Rob had a good time in Italy! Is the shower up and running properly now? I was over your way yesterday-wish id popped in for a cuppa, and have a nose at the shower!

Speak to you soon Andy