Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Jon W
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Yet another question about concrete

Post by Jon W »

Hi Everybody

Sorry to bang on yet again about laying concrete pads but I just wondered if anyone could offer any definitive advice on the following;

I'm gagging to begin building a growing on pond in a shed. It has an existing concrete floor. At the perimeter the base is 12" thick, but I suspect it could be less than this in the centre.

What I want to do is lay a concrete pad about 10'x5' with 8" thickness for the pondbase over the top of the existing floor. Has anyone had any success/failure stories in doing something similar. If it was successful did you use rebar or REIN fibres as part of the construction?

I talked to a builder mate of my last night who said that I could be heading for disaster because the expansion/contraction rate of the existing floor and my new base will be different and therefore lead to cracking. He reckons the only way to proceed is to break up the area of the existing floor, use it as hardcore and lay a base over the top. Does anyone know if this is definitely the case or is he talking out of his Stetson?

Any advice welcome.

Regards

Jon W.
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi Jon,

Im no builder but ive been told a 6inch reinforced concrete base will suffice for 5000 gallons- so i would think your floor is probably fine to build straight onto. Ive just built a growing on tank which is 1m x 2 metre x 1 metre totally above ground using 4inch solids with a base of about 4-5inches and it seems ok (touch wood!) Im sure someone more knowledgable will be along soon!

Cheers Andy
Jon W
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Jon W »

Hi Andy

I've seen your piccies - this is exactly what I want to do only indoors. Ironically it seems it would be a lot easier if I was laying a pad on just about any other surface. I just can't bear the thought of potentially having to hack through 12" of concrete. Plus it would cause problems with the integrity of the existing floor.

Everytime I go to do a project I seem to have some additional factor to take into consideration. I'm planning a new pond build in the spring - the only suitable site is a severe slopel which consists of red sandstone - I'd use dynamite but it's only 12' away from the house!

Why me?

Cheers

Jon W.
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Jon,

It wouldnt concern me laying a new base on top of your original concrete shed base, I'd go for it. 8" of concrete reinforced should put up with most weights, in my opinion (not that I'm a builder!).
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Jon,

I cant see how the base will move that much and if it does wont the new base move with it :? doesn't our ground move that we build ponds on :?

Sorry i am not a builder :cry:
GERRY5
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by GERRY5 »

done it.... all fifteen hundred gallons of it , converted a block built shed to pond , liner on a nine inch base ...aint moved in two years....jen will provide piccy :wink: :wink:
SADLER
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by SADLER »

Jon W
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Jon W »

Hi All

So the concensus is that I'm being a bit of a girl about it and it should be okay if I use reinforcement mesh in the base? Incidentally, does anyone know how much 3/8" reinforcement mesh costs? I can't find anywhere round here that sells it or gives a price online.

Gerry, when you say that liner on a 9' base, does that meant that you used the original shed pad or that you laid an additional pad over the top of the shed pad?

Cheers

Jon W.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Jon,

You old girl you :lol: are you sure your from ssaaarrrrffff London :wink:
Jon W
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Jon W »

Hi Gazza

I nearly said "mincing girl" but that would cause me even more problems!. Defintely Saarf London - 10 minutes walk from Millwall F.C. - you can't get more Saarf than that!

Cheers

Jon W.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

I used to like the Millwall West ham games years back they was fun :shock: :wink:
GERRY5
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by GERRY5 »

original shed pad which is a nine inch base , benched up the sides slightly, put in and old liner and carpet to protect the new and bingo filled it up, then put in windows to make an outdoor into an indoor pond.....

[url]http://www.koiquest.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.p ... highlight=[/url]
Jon W
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Jon W »

Hi Gazza

It was a little more entertaining when the Old Den was in existence. I seem to remember that being anywhere in the vicinity of New Cross tube to Cold Blow Lane could prove rather eventful when West Ham came to town. I've only been to the New Den a few times and the atmosphere is nothing like the old ground - I think it's because it's open at the corners of the stands. One thing about Upton Park - even if there are only a few thousand in, you still get a decent atmosphere (went a few times when Charlton were tenants - I'm a Fulham fan for my sins).

Cheers

Jon
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

What fun we used to have i remember going to the Old Den when Dagenham used to play Millwall :roll: i know i don't look old enough :lol: i was a kid and used to go with my dad :D
Jon W
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Jon W »

Hi Gazza

Dagenham? I didn't know that they'd been in the football league until recently.
I'm old enough to have seen Bobby Moore play for Fulham, and I don't look any different now, just a bit taller!

Cheers

Jon W.