What can I make????????

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

gingeletiss
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

What can I make????????

Post by gingeletiss »

Ok you BP's, I came by this in a skip, and thought I could seek a few ideas from you guys. I want something to go into a skimmer line, I have a few thoughts myself, but will bow to the genius of you peeps.
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

What's it made of?

How tall and what diameter?

What size are any holes/accesses?

What's it like internally?
gingeletiss
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by gingeletiss »

Bob Hart wrote:What's it made of? Plastic
How tall and what diameter? About 3.5' tall 18" dia

What size are any holes/accesses? The only hole is in the top, it had a screw cap
What's it like internally? clean...contained liquid
vippymini
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by vippymini »

attach an inlet and outlet to the top, fill with activated charcoal and you have a huge waterpurifier for topups.

aalternatively cut equally in half and you have two ideal shaped items to make eazys out of.

another crazy one :- shove a quartz tube and 4foot uv tube through it, attach an in and an out one at either end and you have a tubby uv sterilizer.
Graham.
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by Graham. »

A very very large bakki shower full of bhm :shock:
gingeletiss
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by gingeletiss »

vippymini wrote:attach an inlet and outlet to the top, fill with activated charcoal and you have a huge waterpurifier for topups.
aalternatively cut equally in half and you have two ideal shaped items to make eazys out of.

another crazy one :- shove a quartz tube and 4foot uv tube through it, attach an in and an out one at either end and you have a tubby uv sterilizer.
I like that one Jane, but I was hoping for a skimmer filter :wink:
gingeletiss
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by gingeletiss »

LakesideLad wrote:A very very large bakki shower full of bhm :shock:
I don't know how i'd make a shower, but filling it with Bhm is a thought :wink: .
TerryKoi
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by TerryKoi »

paint "bomb" on the side and scare the neighbours :idea: :idea:
gingeletiss
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by gingeletiss »

TerryKoi wrote:paint "bomb" on the side and scare the neighbours :idea: :idea:
Hi Terry

It was a thought............no doubt I will end up with a bronze badge project :lol: :lol: :lol:
tomy2ponds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by tomy2ponds »

Hi Uncle Dave just a word of caution make sure you clean it well as you don'tdon't know what was in it :? My Idea would be to cut the top off put an outlet in the bottom put a grill in the bottom and a plate 2" down from the top with lots of small holes in and an inlet above this fill it with Bakki media or back bio balls put the top back on and you have a trickle tower for your skimmer :D I have a proper one on mine but this is all it is 8)

LEE
gingeletiss
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by gingeletiss »

tomy2ponds wrote:Hi Uncle Dave just a word of caution make sure you clean it well as you don'tdon't know what was in it :? My Idea would be to cut the top off put an outlet in the bottom put a grill in the bottom and a plate 2" down from the top with lots of small holes in and an inlet above this fill it with Bakki media or back bio balls put the top back on and you have a trickle tower for your skimmer :D I have a proper one on mine but this is all it is 8)

LEE
Hi Lee

I was thinking along those lines, but hoping for a super duper solution from a BP gold badge holder :wink: :wink: :wink:
GERRY5
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by GERRY5 »

dave .cut top off so you can work inside drum .put an inch and a half tank connector in side at low level with pipe to waste put elbow in and turn up , cement inside to form cone for waste removal put second tank conn. in just above cement level and pump water in from below from skimmer , place grid\mesh one third up with speed fit air ring attached then apply lots of alphagrog as media, on top third about four inches from top fit final tank connector for pond return water all nice and polished , to clean turn off pump isolate to stop backwashing into pond or fit non return valve, aerate vigourously dump waste and start up pump again = 1 upflow bio filter ...sorry mate but im only a silver winner :wink: :wink: :wink:
kimr
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kimr »

I havn't a clue how you would do it but what about turning it into a sand or bead filter, then it would act as a biological filter as well as a water polisher.
gingeletiss
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by gingeletiss »

vippymini wrote:attach an inlet and outlet to the top, fill with activated charcoal and you have a huge waterpurifier for topups.
OK...a water purifier it's going to be.

Q1. Do I fit the inlet at the top, and the outlet at the bottom.

Q2. Where do you get activated charcoal from, or can you use ordinary charcoal, as in BBQ.
Daz
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Daz »

Activated charcoal is a fine power has a large carbon content so the bits left over from your bbq wont be much good :lol: :lol:

I would imagine the inlet at the top and outlet at the bottom.

The is a company in Sompting that sells activiated carbon, I tihnk there called blue shark marine systems.