Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Growing on pond update

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi,

Need some advice on filtration for my growing on pond (550gallons) My plan is to have a cl1 converted to k1 running on a 6500 aquamax and then pumped over a shower. Taking the head into consideration to the shower the pump should be spot on for the max flow rate of the filter. Then i will run a 10000 aquamax straight to the shower to increase turn over.

Question is do i pump the cl1 on the skimmer line and the larger pump on the bottom drain to get more draw on the bottom drain or the other way round? My worry is either pumping all the crap over the shower from the bottom drain which may cause problems but equally if i only have the cl1 on the bottom drain it will hardly be pulling any flow????

Thanks in advance, regards Andy
dfinn
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by dfinn »

Hi,

I know if you are using BHM in the shower you can pump directly from the bottom drain to the shower, although I don't know if the same can be said if using other shower medias.

Thanks,

Daniel
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi,

Will be BHM in the shower (Dont tell Emma-she will kill me!) Just worried about pumping most of the waste over the shower??? I suppose skimmer line would polish water nicely!

Cheers Andy :D
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Andy,

You still messing around with that :wink:

OK i would go for shower with faster turnover from the bottom drain and the cl1 on the skimmer...job done fill it up and in with the fish.

If you need some to help mature the system i have a couple of fish in my tank that you can have :D
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Depends if the CL1 can cope with the 10,000.

Sounds a great turnover rate though
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

I would run the 6500 on the cl1 and the 10000 on the shower,if the shower was filled with BHM that could filter the tank alone :D
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi,

The CL1 will ideally use a aquamax 3500 but as im pumping to a shower the head means i can use the aquamax 6500. Hopefully the BHM will take care of the biological filtration and the CL1 will polish the water up plus should have about 60 litres of fluid k1 as well! :D :D :D

Cheers Andy :D :D :D
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi,

Thought id post some pics of my growing on pond. The main reason for building the pond was to allow me to use it to hold my fish until my main pond is complete.

The original plan was:

2inch bottom drain straight to one of Bobs Showers using a aquamax 5500,
Gravity skimmer through a cl1 converted to k1 using aquamax 3500 and then over the shower as well. I couldnt find a proper 2inch aireated bottom drain so i siliconed on a air disc and fed a 8mm airline up the bottom drain. Bob did a great job on the fibreglassing :D
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (72.99 KiB) Viewed 13688 times
s1.JPG
s1.JPG (69.53 KiB) Viewed 13690 times
s2.jpg
s2.jpg (53.89 KiB) Viewed 13690 times
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

I soon changed over from a 5500 on the shower to a 10000 aquamax, i tried a 5500 on the cl1 but it was much flow for the filter. Unfortunately after a few weeks the aireated bottom drain began to block with algae etc until the airline blew off- i had to drain down the pond(with help from Stu and Amanda) and remove it, with hindsight i dont think it helped much anyway on such a small pond-just allowed me to add air without having stones dangling in the pond. I also fitted a valve below the water line to allow me to change a pump without having to drain the pond!
Attachments
s4.jpg
s4.jpg (49.23 KiB) Viewed 13670 times
s5.jpg
s5.jpg (58.03 KiB) Viewed 13673 times
s8.jpg
s8.jpg (58.45 KiB) Viewed 13677 times
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

After a few weeks the weather started to get a bit colder so i managed to talk Emma into letting me heat the pond, i then fitted a 3kw heater. The pond faces on to open fields and is windswept constantly, i decided to cover the pond some how to keep the wind off!

I also found some nice barrels at work and decided to rip out the cl1 and make a static barrel followed by a fluidised barrel of k1. I fitted a 3inch gravity feed to the filter form the skimmer and made a simple easy. Followed by 100ltrs of k1 (already matured) and some biochips. I also upgraded to a auamax 5500 to get a bit more flow over the shower.
Attachments
s1.jpg
s1.jpg (64.78 KiB) Viewed 13663 times
s2.jpg
s2.jpg (75.13 KiB) Viewed 13663 times
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

I then decided rather than just cover the pond i would totally enclose it to help keep heating costs down :D And to stop Emma moaning :wink:
Attachments
c1.jpg
c1.jpg (45.98 KiB) Viewed 13662 times
c2.jpg
c2.jpg (51.52 KiB) Viewed 13661 times
c3.jpg
c3.jpg (49.14 KiB) Viewed 13664 times
jason-m
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by jason-m »

Looking Good Andy..are you going to cover the filters as well......?
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Looking real nice now Andy, good cover/house
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

The filters have now been enclosed to help keep the heat in. Ive also finisged the fencing and laid paving slabs through the fish house. I had a lot of trouble with condensation so ive added a folding polycarb cover to keep the condensation down and also helps with insulation! Ive also added a 70ltr air pump to the k1 and moved the 40ltr air pump to power four air stones in the pond. Just a few little mods left and a bit of tidying in the filter bay left to do now. Also got a few hooks and japenese lanterns to go up when i get a chance.

Cheers Andy
Attachments
od 004.jpg
od 004.jpg (53.34 KiB) Viewed 13644 times
od 005.jpg
od 005.jpg (38.79 KiB) Viewed 13647 times
od 006.jpg
od 006.jpg (48.02 KiB) Viewed 13647 times
eds
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by eds »

Great job. Are the sides of the pond insulated on the inside to keep the heating bills down? It all looks like a really neat and tidy job.

Edit: After seeing your last post with the filter covers I guess that question will be 'side' rather than sides!!!