new pond

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

daz2007
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

new pond

Post by daz2007 »

started digging new pond today 6 by 12 by 5 foot deep just a couple of questions first how deep a base and also how many drains 1 or 2 pond is sited on pure sand and i will be using a liner. 2 feet below ground 3 feet above on one side and all below ground on three sides as i live on a hill. ideas much apreciated thanks.
stoney
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by stoney »

hello daz, I put aprox8" base in with reinforcing mesh.
I would think that one bottom drain would have been sufficient but if you went for two it would be a bonus and not a negative.

Stoney.....
daz2007
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

first pic

Post by daz2007 »

thanks for the info. first pic today second days digging now at 7 by 3 by 3
[img]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/darren.brown90/day2.jpg[/img]
original pond in background only 800 gallons fish think they are in permanant quarintine :lol:
stoney
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by stoney »

The holes looking good matey, rather you than me diging by hand,,LOL.

Mind at least you wont do as I did, got carried away with the digger and went bit deeper than I had planned.. I wanted an over all depth of about 5 foot but have ended up with seven and half.......
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Daz,

try to perhaps go a little deeper and if you can make it bigger......i promise if you don't you will regret it later :roll: :D

OK one BD should be OK and do you know what filtration you are going to have yet :?:

How about filter on the BD and also on the Skimmer :idea:
daz2007
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by daz2007 »

hi gazza filter i already have is kockney koi 5000v vortex and filterclear with 11watt uv also have a separate 15watt uv have filterclear on skimmer with really good results skimmer is the bottom standing type but i have modified to go through side wall a lot neater i think. would like to incorperate these into new pond to save extra cost as they are only 1year old any ideas :?:
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Daz,

The best thing with filtration is bigger is better :D One thing is with many manufactures models what they say on the label is not always what they will filter in a koi pond.

Do you just want to use these filters only or are you going to have another one :?:
daz2007
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by daz2007 »

pond update about half dug now
[img]http://homepage.ntlworld.com/darren.brown90/day5.jpg[/img]
getting tired but not giving up.
gazza with regarding filters now have in my possesion 1 ibc thinking of using this as gravity fed system as i can also source another one. these have cost nothing so would really like to use have seen them used before on here but not gravity fed these would be covered over with decking but removable for servicing.also if this is fed from bd what about winter will i have to tee in another mid feed and close down bd in the colder months any ideas :?:
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

I like the cover good idea :D

I am not sure on the other filter you mention but you cant have enough filtration :D an in the winter you will just leave the BD my main filtration from the bottom drain never stops well i have a main filtration and a TT and neither is ever switched of and all run 24/7.
daz2007
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by daz2007 »

digging pure sand now easy to dig but don't want to get sides wet or me
:D
filters i have seen look to be above ground so i asume are pump fed

http://www.koiquest.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2862
just thought these could be a really large and efficient gravity fed system.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Daz,

Yes there are many types of filtration many which can be pump/gravity fed the pump fed can be above or below the pond if they are pump fed where the gravity systems are normally level with the pond so if the pump stop[s or is switched of the water will not overflow from the filters.
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Daz,

Am I correct in thinking an IBC is one of those large plastic containers? If so, they have a flat bottom, which may be an issue for cleaning. Unless you hoover it out each week perhaps?
daz2007
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by daz2007 »

yes you are correct bob i was thinking mabye sump pump to suck all the muck out.
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi,

The IBC are a really good size-would make a great filter, there are several posts with them made into filters. Im assuming you would cut the top of-if so could you not put a centre drain in and slope using cement? Im sure that if you look on the cuttlebrook section Mark used a similar technique to make a filter???

Regards Andy :D
daz2007
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by daz2007 »

hi andy tops already cut as they have been used for quarinteen before.