Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Temp Qt

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi,

Got my temp QT up and running. Bob's shower works a treat and looks damn good as well! :D Running a aquamax 3500 direct off a 2inch bottom drain, using alfragrog as theres no bhm in the country :( but will be replaced with bhm when i can get some! What would be the best thing to use to cover the qt and the simpliest way to heat?

Cheers Andy :D
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

Well that looks the business Andy, and the foot looks to be just about the right size!

What are you looking to do, cover just the pond, or the whole thing? Best thing to do would be to cover it all in with plycarbonate, make a little room that you can walk into - door as well. But that might be too expensive though, even if you use the side of the shed.
Laying a sheet of poly carb on top of the pond itself would keep a lot of heat in. And I'm sure that would be OK for the Summer months.
JohnC
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by JohnC »

Andy, just an observation, will the run off water from the shed roof enter the showers? Regards JohnC.
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi John,

The showers have a full length back on them so are not open at the back so he should be OK.

Andy,

I would rap some insulation around the tank or get some king span or equivalent and cover the top with polycarb which will help keep it nice and warm and stop the fluctuations and save some electric.

i think i would also put a strengthener across the middle even a piece of wood will do just in case it gets to warm and starts to bow to much.
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi Bob,

Works a treat-thanks again!Im sure you made the foot especially for this tank! Emma says a BIG NO to a walk in room although i like the idea! Think i will have to settle for just a cover for now until i get a pernament one finished.

Hi John,
As gazza said it has a back on it so water cant run in-i wonuldnt of thought of that though!

Hi Gazza,
Will get some kind of insulation and a lid. When you say strengthener do you mean the tank or the cover-im going to build a frame round the edge and fill it in with cladding which should strengthen it up.

Where would i get a small piece of polycarb to make a cover-im assuming it will come in big sheets?

Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Andy,

A frame will do the job and you should be able to get Pollycarb from builders merchant or B&Q or if you need more there is a company call CA Plastics or something very similar that do it.
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi Gazza,

Will pop to B+Q at some point tommorrow. If i clad the tank to tidy it up, would it be worth adding insulation of some kind to the sides? If so would something like loft insulation work? Bobs given me an idea for a larger qt in the future-why not buy a cheap lean to greenhouse and Bobs your uncle indoor qt!

Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Andy,

Yes thats what i was saying above make sure you insulate the lot my tank in the shed is fully insulated on all four sides and even the bottom :D

Just stick up another shed and build a tank in it i am sure Emma wont mind as she is such and understanding young lady and she did pick out you Shiro so she will need somewhere for it to develop to its full potential :wink:
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Gazza,
Your a genius-she willobviously need somewhere heated to grow HER shiro! With a tank this size, how many fish could i put in it once its up and running? I cleaned the media but is still filling the bottom with tiny bits of rock which i will clean out before adding any fish!

Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

The easy answer is don't go to made as they will soon grow and then all of a sudden you will have a few big fish that need a new home :D

The most important thing is to make sure you keep an eye on the water as it can go wrong very quickly so don't go to made.When i have a similar tank i kept about 6 or 8 fish in it whilst building my new pond and they where all OK :)
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi Gazza,

Will make sure i dont over stock as with such a small amount of water it doesnt take long to go pear shaped! Can i ask how big the fish were that you had in a similar sized tank just to give me an idea?

Cheers
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

They was a mixture from 10-12cm up to 25cm i would think
LCBkoi
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by LCBkoi »

hi andy,

i've got the same tank as yourself but with a presure filter, i've kept three koi very comfortably, there about 6/7", and the waters been at 19 degrees since they went in.

i would have thought with the shower you could get a few more in there, so i would probably agree with gazza but go for the 6 to be safe...

looks a very nice set up by the way...did you make the shower yourself?

i insulated mine on the cheap...i used builders sand bags and filled them with tons of old news papers and magazines and attached them to the sides...topping it off with a quilt....but hey the temps stayed constant!

regards liam
amanda
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Qt temp.

Post by amanda »

Hi Andy.
Nice set up.
I used expanded polythene sheeting that we get at work, its thrown away normally but it is absolutely brilliant at reflecting the heat back and holding it in.
I even wrap exposed pipework with it in winter.
If you want any let me know and i will get you some,i live near Ipswich
so not far away.
It's not hard sheeting, more like thick air filled Material that weighs nothing.(cant describe it really.) :?
Regard's
StuW
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by StuW »

Well I didnt know that Amanda, if youve got any spare after Andy then let me know :D
Andy looking good, nice shower, setting mine up at theweekend with an aqua max 6000. I had 5 fish from 20 to 34 cm in a tank that size with a black box filter so with the shower should have no problems.
Enjoy :D