Home Made Protein Thingy's

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Home Made Protein Thingy's

Post by Gazza »

OK guys i know a few of you out there have done this or tried some out before so i thought i would ask the question :?:

have you made one and how do you do it as i was thinking about putting one on the QT to see how it goes or if it does anything.I have recently installed the new shower and better air stones which gave me some FOAM (which has all gone now) but it had me thinking about playing round with the QT :roll:

Can i have some pictures/details please :?:

Could you make one and perhaps use K1 :?:

basically any help would be appreciated...just hope i get enough time to try to make one :D
kayoss
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by kayoss »

Look up the posts tha Kim R started on them last year Gazza - or send me your email address and I'll send a copy of the diagram as I dont know how to post it on the board!

Bob

PS Anyone know if Kim's OK and still keeping koi?
GERRY5
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by GERRY5 »

gazza ..tried with k 1 to see what would happen , found it compacted greatly and caused probs. by catching all sorts of crud, this then worried me i was creating a breeding ground for nasties , took it out.
the protein skimmer bobs referring to is on kimrs , but designed by mekoi.page 5 of kims posts , sorry same as bob dont know how to lift it either :roll: :roll: :roll:
Cashybai
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Re: Home Made Protein Thingy's

Post by Cashybai »

Gazza wrote:OK guys i know a few of you out there have done this or tried some out before so i thought i would ask the question :?:

have you made one and how do you do it as i was thinking about putting one on the QT to see how it goes or if it does anything.I have recently installed the new shower and better air stones which gave me some FOAM (which has all gone now) but it had me thinking about playing round with the QT :roll:

Can i have some pictures/details please :?: http://www.koiquest.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.p ... highlight= Here's the original thread Gazza.

Could you make one and perhaps use K1 :?: You won't need K1 Gazza, it just air's off on its own. You'll just need a supply from your air pump.basically any help would be appreciated...just hope i get enough time to try to make one :D
[

Mine works fine Gazza, haven't had any visible foam for yonks, and it also keeps suspended solids down also.
Cheers,
dho
Hammer Head shark
Hammer Head shark

Post by dho »

try this link: [url]http://www2.hawaii.edu/~delbeek/ff.html[/url]

Something I have been keeping for a rainy day (i.e. can't do anything outside so might as well build something indoors)!! Not tried it as yet so no idea how easy to build or how well it works!!
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Thanks guys :D

Looks like i need to get bits of pipe and stuff :wink:
Dazzle
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by Dazzle »

Building one and finding the right fittings for 4inch pipe etc is a pain. I would just save time and wasted money and buy a proper fractioner.

Plus, you will be playing about with the water levels trying to extract the right amount of water/ foam for days. You don't want to lose too much water and you can't sit there watching it all day to adjust it.

You will be amazed though with the amount of brown water it collects from the foam. All those nastie colourings in our foods!!

Good Luck with which ever route you take.
Cashybai
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Cashybai »

[quote="Dazzle"]Building one and finding the right fittings for 4inch pipe etc is a pain. I would just save time and wasted money and buy a proper fractioner.

Plus, you will be playing about with the water levels trying to extract the right amount of water/ foam for days. You don't want to lose too much water and you can't sit there watching it all day to adjust it.

Hate to disagree Dazzle, but the hardest job I had was adjusting the amount of air goin thru it. The bits are readily available from most Koi dealers, or Plumbcentre type outlets. Easiest bit of kit I've had to make, and probably the most profitable in terms of results.... :wink:
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Well hopefully i will let you know tomorrow as i may have time to get back and get some pipe and bits :D

This is only for my QT which funny enough is OK now it must just of been the interruption of changing the filter and adding more air :roll:
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi Gazza,

Im sure you have all the pipe and fittings stashed away already-you have everything in your shed! Any ideas why the foam has dissapeared? When i installed the TT on my tank i got masses of foam, but after a few weeks it has dissapeared-any ideas why as i hadnt changed feeding rates???

Andy

:D
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Andy,

I do have a few bits in the shed and garage but not enough me thinks :roll:

The protein has come probably because you are making more air which in turn is giving you the foam and this will probably settle down in a few weeks...mine has :D

Its nothing new its the same water but with more air apart from the bubble who on the outside loves water and cant get enough of it and the inside which doesn't like water :D
acart8426
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by acart8426 »

Gazza

All you need is a bit of 4 inch pipe , a short section of 1 1/2 pipe 2 * 90 degree bends and the top half of a soft drinks plastic bottle and it takes less than 1/2 hr to make and all you need is two airstones .

Andrew
Guy P
Black Tip Reef Shark
Black Tip Reef Shark

Post by Guy P »

Gazza here is my original post when I built mine. Still going strong today. No foam on the pond surface and no yellow tinge to water.

[url]http://www.madaboutkoi.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/ ... DCForumID9[/url]

I would recommend one to anybody

Bobs diagram here is also a good reference

[url]http://www.koiquest.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2512[/url]
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Guess what i will be doing very shortly LOL :lol:
James Pond
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by James Pond »

This is one I made last year, I didnt bother with the reducers, just got 2 boss T pieces and a 4" rubber bung from B&Q, bit of 4" pipe and 1.5" push fit I already had and bobs your uncle! £10 later:

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/norv ... CT0014.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/norv ... CT0017.jpg[/img]