Pond base strength – Help required

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

dave339
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Pond base strength – Help required

Post by dave339 »

I’m in the process of building my new pond which will be 12x12x6ft and have just completed the digging out.

My neighbour has raised some concerns that the base will not be strong enough to cope with the weight of the water and that it may fail and leak onto his property.

The base will be 1ft steel reinforced concrete with the walls built 8in from the sides of the base in 18in blocks. The base is being built into a plastic sheet to prevent damp ingress and the final pond will be fibre glassed.

Is there a way to calculate what thickness of concrete would be required to be strong enough to support a pond that will be 6ft deep?

I thought that 1ft thick reinforced concrete was over-engineered but if there is a way to demonstrate this it would help me. I don't want to fall out with the new neighbours if I can avoid it.

Thanks in advance for your help

Dave.
Weimirkoi
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Weimirkoi »

Hi David,

I don't know about calculating it but my pond is 12ft x 9ft and 5ft 8inch deep and has a steel reinforced base which is 8inches thick before the block work i then added a slope from the top of the first block to the centre/drain, making the centre of my pond still only 8" thick.

IMHO 12" reinforced base would be ample. I'm sure someone else would confirm this or point us in the right direction :wink:
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi Dave,

I hope that 1ft deep would be more than over engineering-if not i need to make my hole deeper! Im glad you raised this as im hoping to get the base laid in my pond the weekend after next. From memory(please check!) im sure that there was a post a while ago that said 6 inches would be ok as long as reinforced with steel bar-Jules is probably the best man to speak to!

Cheers Andy

Ps any pics of build so far??? :D
fisherman
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by fisherman »

Hi Dave

The sizes that you have given will give you 5400 gallons of water plus the filters the water that will be in the pond will weigh just over 24.50 tons
What you are doing 1ft thick reinforced concrete will be a slight over kill
Bob Hart
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bob Hart »

My pond was built over 12-years ago and the base was 6-8" of reinforced concrete - no leaks yet!

12" of concrete - overkill
stoney
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by stoney »

I am in the prcess of building my pond and I have gone for about 8" of reinforced concrete for the base. I have used hollow blocks and drilled the base thru the holes and put in rebars to give support to the bottom row of blocks to help prevent them splaying out. I have also filled my blocks with concrete.
dave339
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by dave339 »

Thanks for your replies. My neighbour has booked a structural engineer to take a look next week to give his assessment…so who knows what he will ask for, but they have agreed for me to be there so I will hear it first hand.

More importantly I’m installing the bottom drain pipe work tomorrow in anticipation of the base getting poured on Monday.

If I get this right then I have attached a couple of pictures of the most problematic hole I have ever dug!!
Attachments
DSC00152.JPG
DSC00152.JPG (44.4 KiB) Viewed 15756 times
Weimirkoi
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Weimirkoi »

Your new neighbour sounds like a right pain in the a***.

Tell him to bog off and mind his own business :twisted:

I hope he's paying for the engineer!!!!!
dave339
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by dave339 »

There will be a hole full of wet cement when he arrives....could be tempting :lol:
GERRY5
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by GERRY5 »

dont argue with the neighbours .......convert them ...when they see how nice your pond is gonna be......12" reinforced base more than adequate , that aint gonna give way ...ever :wink: :wink:
Daz
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by Daz »

the majority of houses are only build on a 9" footing
Weimirkoi
Lemon Shark
Lemon Shark

Post by Weimirkoi »

dave339 wrote:There will be a hole full of wet cement when he arrives....could be tempting :lol:
That's it make him some concrete wellington's :twisted:
fisherman
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by fisherman »

Hi Dave
When you are blocking up the side of your pond by your neighbour’s fence leave a 3-inch and back fill with concrete and that will even out the pressures between the soil and your pond thus no gap
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Dave,

That will be strong enough believe me i know how hard it is to try to knock Bobs filter bay down :shock:

If they do raise concerns which they shouldn't don't forget to ask for written conformation and also ask the guys background as i very much doubt he has ever had anything to do with ponds :wink:
Snow Dog
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by Snow Dog »

Hi, please don't put your neighbour in the concrete mix as this will undoubtedly make your base become weaker as he de-composes :lol:
best to put him under the slab because at 1 ft deep when he rot away,the base will be more than adequate to bridge the gap left behind :lol:
Seriously though,as said,it will be more than thick enough,to put his mind at rest,again as said leave a good gap from the boundary line and maybe reinforce the side bordering his property :wink: just my thoughts SD