TT

Post all Pond construction Topics here including DIY bits and pieces

Moderators: B.Scott, vippymini, Gazza, Manky Sanke

andy p
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

TT

Post by andy p »

Hi all, my TT is making foam on the surface, it has a 2" outlet, is there any modification i can add to trap and remove the foam effectively turning it into a protein skimmer.

Regards Andy.
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi Andy,

I was looking through an old koi mag the other day and there was a article on a TT that had a built in protein skimmer. Cant think from memory who made it- im sure someone may recall (it was white if that helps!). Im sure there must be a way to add a similar design to your tt. Will see if i can find the article later.

Regards Andy
GERRY5
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by GERRY5 »

hi andys ....same problem here all our ponds have showers and now getting foam, probab;y due to the warmer weather, i stopped feeding friday night, although jen did filter clean come water change saturday as well on our main pond still foaming , probably settle out soon (i hope) 8) 8) 8)
acart8426
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by acart8426 »

Hi Gerry , Andy

Why not make up one of the diy fractionators using a coke bottle top , a couple of airstones and a piece of 4 inch pipe , dead easy and it works .

Regards

Andrew
acart8426
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Diy protein extractor

Post by acart8426 »

emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi
Found somerthing in Koi magazine- the filter i mentioned yesterday is made by Clarity Water Systems and is called CL3 or CL10. There website is www.topponds.com

Hope this helps regards Andy
macaws fly
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by macaws fly »

just had a look at the link and to me it looks like a good candidate for the blue-peter boys.... Bob espesially... :lol:

seriously the price of it would put me off no matter how well it worked.
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Im Sure Bob can knock a better fibre glass model up than that! :D :D :D :D
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Guys,

Its only a bit of protein and have you ever wondered why....ready for a bit of science.........

Your bubbles are there precisely because you are creating more bubbles, in other words your protein has always been there you have just created the right conditions for them to become visible ( more aeration)

its a bit complex but simply, the organic carbon molecule has a funny peculiarity half the molecule is hydrophobic (water hating) the other is hydrophilic (water loving or seeking) generally in water when ample bubbles are present the bubble itself can satisfy both ends of the protein molecule the hydrophobic end can dip itself inside the bubble into air and be happy the other end, the hydrophilic end, can be in the wet side or other side and be happy because the hydrophilic end can form bonds with hydrogen's in the water where as the other end finds this difficult

Think of the molecule like a match stick, the lighting end is the hydrophobic end the wooden end is the hydrophilic end .
If the hydrophobic end goes inside the bubble it remains dry and happy where as the wooded end or the hydrophilic end goes on the outside in the wet its also happy and the molecule is satisfied , the trouble is instead of the bubble making the surface and breaking apart all these proteins tends to keep the bubble intact and gives it longevity which is why and how protein skimmers fractionators work they exploit this phenomena and we can skim the proteins off
GERRY5
Great White Shark
Great White Shark

Post by GERRY5 »

gazza ....a very descriptive and succint explanation , i always said you where the water master :wink: :wink: :wink: on a more serious note though , have stopped feeding prior to the "spring clean" tommorow night and increased the air in the pond central to help break down the protein molecules , might consider a blue peter foam fractioner teed off one of the pump lines,ive got a 3000 gallon p\hr aquamite that will do the job without the need for another pump ....blue peter cap on :roll: :roll: :roll:
SADLER
Tiger Shark
Tiger Shark

Post by SADLER »

:shock: THATS IT GIVE HIM MORE EXCUSES :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol:

only joking sounds a good idea
pkember
Sandbar shark
Sandbar shark

Post by pkember »

Are the bubbles produced by protein unstable when subjected to UV/sunlight as over night my prteing skimmer produces lots more froth than during the day?

Paul
Gazza
architeuthis moderator
architeuthis moderator

Post by Gazza »

Hi Gerry,

I had been speaking to Dunc recently as after installing my new shower and some better air stones the QT tank has got plenty of bubbles :lol: so that where my description come from so the full credit must got to the teacher....Dunc :D

Hi Paul,

I am not sure if the daylight makes a difference as my tank is in my shed and gets good light but the bubbles stay the same lol i am hoping it will settle down but if not perhaps as Gerry suggests a home made unit may have to be made......Come on Bob :wink:
macaws fly
Nurse Shark
Nurse Shark

Post by macaws fly »

looking closely at the item on the link in the above post (no advertising here) heres how i see it works.

1. spray water in at the top
2. make the water cascade down over media causing as much disturbance as possible
3. collect water and produced foam in bottom
4. using a dam to allow the water to flow out but stop the foam
5. a side exit to allow the foam to flow out and be collected

the first three are easy to blue peter, so is number five. it will be number four, the dam to hold back the foam that might need to be made adjustable !!

but i'm sure Bob has already seen and has some designs in his head.
emmaandaj
Bull Shark
Bull Shark

Post by emmaandaj »

Hi All,

Been thinking about trying to remove the protein (bubbles caused by TT) and came up with this from what i saw in the koi magazine????

Regards Andy :D